Spec me some arctic gear!

Soldato
I don't do winter holidays but I have to go and visit Sweden at the start of January, so I am going to make the most of it..

Ice Hotel
Aurora borealis
Snowmobiles
Husky sleds
Ice driving
etc etc

It has just dawned on me that I have absolutely no winter gear. I bloody hate the cold too, so what can you suggest or recommend that I purchase to keep me snug on my travels this winter! :eek:
Obviously I'm not going to be camping out in it if I can help it but I should imagine trekking across Lapland in a skidoo for 5/6 hrs it's going to get mighty bloody nippy. :D
I'd rather not come back with frost bitten crown jewels. :(

Associate
You want multiple layers, rather than a few big thick layers.

Your outer layer should just be a shell - buying a big thick coat is pointless.

Also, pay money for good quality breathable fabric. Your clothes are only as breathable as your least breathable piece. I.e. if you have breathable thermals, breathable undershirt, breathable overshirt, breathable fleece and not breathable outer shell you might as well not have bothered.

Soldato
As mentioned above multiple layers are the way to go, however I'm not so sure about the outer layer just being a shell, I still prefer a big coat but that's just me. Don't forget to layer up on your legs as well so long johns etc are the order of the day.

Check out ellis-brigham.com, they have pretty much the best range of winter clothing however you will most likely find things cheaper if you search around once you've picked out your stuff. Be prepared to pay quite a lot though, decent stuff doesn't tend to be cheap.

Soldato
OP
Check out ellis-brigham.com, they have pretty much the best range of winter clothing however you will most likely find things cheaper if you search around once you've picked out your stuff. Be prepared to pay quite a lot though, decent stuff doesn't tend to be cheap.

I have some uber technical cycling long johns and long sleeved top come to think of it, these, I assume would be a good base layer.

I don't doubt it will be an expensive shopping trip, not too bothered, got to look the part as well :D

Caporegime
Get yourself down to Ellis Brigham, Cotswold or snow and rock and see what the guys there have to say.

Thermal baselayers, fleece and a good shell as others have mentioned. Finally tell me where you aree going, what it costs and where you found it as my winter holiday thread didn't get any replies...! I am thinking of having a week of the same thing... :p

Soldato
When I went to Kirkeness (very north of Norway) in winter and it was -30C I was wearing my Rab down jacket with a t-shirt and medium weight jumper and I was perfectly warm.
Mine is an old model but the closest they have now is the Summit Jacket
They aren't cheap but they're the warmest thing you can wear, not the best for when you're active as they can get too hot and moisture can be a problem. You don't need to worry too much about moisture though as you said you aren't camping so can air/dry it out each night.

For your legs go with layers, thermal base layer (I'd go with merino wool again), then a couple more layers of trousers on top depending on the type etc.

For anything below -10C I usually wear mitts as they're warmer than gloves, you can wear a thin liner glove underneath too so if you do need to take them off to do anything fiddly your hands shouldn't get too cold. Make sure they seal off well with the sleeves of your jacket too, cold wrists are annoying.

Also footwear is really important, cold feet are awful so get some warm boots too.

Oh yeah, the coolest thing is when you breathe in through your nose and the hairs freeze, you breathe out and they thaw, you can feel it and it's wierd :D
edit: I'm tired and not thinking straight I may write more tomorrow :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't forget about your face and your feet. Layers and coats are the easy part to be honest.

For your feet get some deent boots/trail shoes that are waterproof and then decent hiking socks (wicking?)

If its cold and windy that wind will bite, you'll need a decent neck gaiter to go with your hat.

Soldato
OP
Just been on ellis-brigham looking at trousers.
They all mention them being "overtrousers"
What are you meant to wear underneath then? just the "baselayer" or is there a another layer missing.

In fact, how many layers are you supposed to actually wear all over?

Berghaus "Benvane Jacket" is in the shopping basket along with an Arc'teryx Delta LT Zip Neck fleece so far... :D
Further browsing will have to wait, as I need to get to bed.

Soldato
My trouser outfit is basically what I would wear for skiing but its good for anything in cold weather. Long johns if its really cold then insulated and weather proof snow pants over the top.

Associate
Last winter it hit -17 in Edinburgh, and I cycled into work every day. I wore just a Buffalo Special Six on top, shorts down below and I was toasty warm.

However, given that the Buffalo is a bit minging to look at, I'd suggest either a down jacket or a synthetic equivalent. Is Sweden likely to remain below zero? If so, get a down jacket as it suffers badly if it gets wet but is fine in 'dry' cold. Something like an Alpkit Filo, with a wool base layer and perhaps a fleece as well. Alternatively, a Montane Extreme might be an idea as it's like Buffalo but slightly better cut.

For your legs, wear long johns, then a pair of trousers over them. Trespass do a cheap pair of softshell ones (around £25-£30 I think) which I've worn for winter mountaineering in Scotland with no problems whatsoever.

For your feet - I have no knowledge of snow boots, I just own winter walking and climbing boots. My plastics are far too heavy for your use, but are good to 8000m so are fantastic in the extreme cold. If you're not averse to wearing a set, you can pick up a pair of used Scarpa Vegas on eBay very cheaply. If at all possible, get the High Altitude version as they're warmer. They're ugly and heavy, but they do the job.

Buy your boots slightly big so you can fit your socks in, you really need wiggle room for your toes otherwise they'll get cold.

Gloves - I personally wear liners then a pair of Black Diamond ladies ski gloves - I've got thin fingers. This combo was almost too warm for -10 this summer in the Alps, so I reckon they'll be fine for winter. Get a pair of overmitts if it's going to be properly cold - better to be too warm than too cold in winter because at least you can remove a layer!!

Finally - hat, scarf and gloves is a must. If it's going to be sunny, get a pair of Cat 4 glacier glasses to prevent snow blindness (look at Julbo as a manufacturer for example). It's surprising just how bad the glare is on snow in the sun.

On your basket - Berghaus Benvane won't be warm enough. Just get a down jacket with a separate shell if you really need one. Alternatively, if you're concerned about it getting wet, something like a Rab Photon Belay jacket would be ideal as it's sythetic so doesn't mind the rain too much. Bear in mind that the activities you mention aren't particularly physical, so you need to imagine you're standing still for hours on end and should dress accordingly.

And enjoy it!!!

Soldato
Also have a look at decathlon.co.uk or pop into a shop if you have one nearby, they do a good range of ski and hiking clothing which is generally much cheaper than the major brands but still of high quality. Good for cheap base layers as well.

Soldato
OP
First purchase complete.
Thought I'd start with an easy choice.
Some boots :D

Explorer trail light

c91e7807.jpg

Tested at the fireworks display this evening..
Feet toasty
Hands frozen!

Last edited:

hux

hux

Soldato
Buffalo jackets are good gear, have a look at softie jackets as well, they are very popular in the forces when the temps drop.

Catterick was snow laden, but i was still nice and snuggly they're great.

As for base layers, ebay do some cheap emfraa? thermal base layers, needs to be the fleecy soft pile ones, i have several of them for work and they are so comfy as i work in one giant fridge.

Ebay number is 140559516470 i believe.

Have a look at thorlo for socks as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
That looks very similar to the cycling ones I've already got?

Long johns Ebay# 140563349310
Long sleeved vest Ebay# 310355612651

Presumably then, I'm sorted for the base layer...
Although I'll be there a week, it depends how minging I am prepared to get if I am to buy more of the same. :D
Presumably yo treat these like underwear and change daily?

Back
Top Bottom