Define An Alcoholic... Am I One?

Associate
I know i drink too much. Fact.

On a Friday night I'll have 8 cans of Stella. On a Saturday night I'll have 8 cans of Stella. I can't get out of this routine, it's the weekend. It happens every weekend.

I''m happily married with two daughters 6 and 8 and my drinking binges do not interfere with their lives whatsoever, on my days off we go for days out and have a great time , but when they go to bed .....

It hasn't affected my family life. It hasn't affected my job , but i do binge drink at the weekends and it's doing my head in .....

Associate
Doesn't sound like it to me, i would have thought an alcoholic would drink everyday, waking up to a drink etc...

Soldato
Context seems pretty important, if you're putting away 8 cans while sitting at home in your underpants on a Friday and Saturday night then that's not ideal..

You could always try...not drinking if you're concerned? :p

Soldato
Alcoholism and Alcohol abusers are different.

I would suggest you try what I do which is drink bottles. You drink less they cost a bit more and you get the drinking feeling without the drunken woe. 8 bottles of bud is 12 units 8 cans of stella is 24.

You have to ask yourself why you drink all 8 do you not get to 4 and think enough or does it grind away at you knowing there is another in the fridge? I have this problem with more than beer though, I don't buy cakes because I will eat the whole cake, I don't buy chocolate because I will eat it all. I buy less beer just to stop me from slamming my way through a case whilst playing BF3. I too don't need it but it's a bad habit :/ my life works perfectly fine just on sundays I can be a bit reckless with the beers.

The main thing you have to realise is that 50 units in a week is bad for you let alone in 2 days. There is a reason that medical and life insurance companies don't like it! It's bad for business because it's not good for your health.

Man of Honour
Weekend binges to relieve a bit of stress. Sounds like alcohol abuse to me but take care because it’s easy start making it a daily event and before you know it you’re an alcoholic. I'd start watching your consumption.

Soldato
My definition of an alcoholic is someone with a dependency upon alcohol. Quantity does not enter into it at all. I don't think you are, but you could maybe stand to cut down a bit as 8 cans is a fair amount. I'm much the same in that I usually have a few on friday/sat night also.

Caporegime
If you're only drinking at weekends, you're not an alcoholic. 8 cans of Stella every Friday and Saturday though is a level of drinking about which you should be consider being concerned. Especially as it sounds like it's just you doing the drinking.

Try not doing it for a few weekends.

Soldato
Alcoholism and Alcohol abusers are different.

I would suggest you try what I do which is drink bottles. You drink less they cost a bit more and you get the drinking feeling without the drunken woe. 8 bottles of bud is 12 units 8 cans of stella is 24.

You have to ask yourself why you drink all 8 do you not get to 4 and think enough or does it grind away at you knowing there is another in the fridge? I have this problem with more than beer though, I don't buy cakes because I will eat the whole cake, I don't buy chocolate because I will eat it all. I buy less beer just to stop me from slamming my way through a case whilst playing BF3. I too don't need it but it's a bad habit :/ my life works perfectly fine just on sundays I can be a bit reckless with the beers.

The main thing you have to realise is that 50 units in a week is bad for you let alone in 2 days. There is a reason that medical and life insurance companies don't like it! It's bad for business because it's not good for your health.

Indeed, only scum drink from cans.

Permabanned
If your not enjoying it and you can't stop, then i'd say its not healthy, but not really alcoholic. You might end up there if it carrys on and you can't stop though.

Get some help if you need it, it will improve your health greatly I'm sure.

Permabanned
If you're only drinking at weekends, you're not an alcoholic. 8 cans of Stella every Friday and Saturday though is a level of drinking about which you should be consider being concerned. Especially as it sounds like it's just you doing the drinking.

Try not doing it for a few weekends.

That just isn't true.

The best advice for the OP is to seek advice.

Back
Top Bottom