Official page for the Asus VG278H now online.

Soldato
Not yet, this french one is the closest we've come - http://translate.google.com/transla..._la_renaissance_de_la_3d_-article-1432-1.html

The review at the 3d vision blog is set to go up any day now, just keep checking -

edit: perfect timing :D - http://3dvision-blog.com/review-of-the-27-inch-asus-vg278h-3d-vision-ready-lcd-monitor/

That'll do me :D

For anybody interested we have had a dissection of that French review up for some time. Good to see some indication of input lag, although it would be nice to know how this was derived. The S27A750D was confirmed to have just under 4ms. Maybe he tested the ASUS in a similar way (fewer repeats than 120 no doubt) and kept on seeing no input lag.

Last edited:
Associate
The monitor appears to be a no-go for me now as the review states it does not support the HDMI 1.4 side-by-side mode. (I believe this is needed for Sky 3D support). With so many standards every product only seems to be focussed on one role, I wonder if I will ever see a quality monitor that can handle both 3D (Nvidia) gaming and entertainment.

Soldato
That review was posted and 'discussed' just above ^^

It doesn't really give much of an extra insight into the monitor compared to the French review posted a while back (I would highly recommend you read the summary posted on my website). He actually didn't seem overly impressed with the 3D capabilities (in terms of crosstalk - although he seemed to appreciate the extra brightness) and the default settings left a bit to be desired. The native centre-point average gamma of the display seems to be 2.0 and I would very much like to know if you can achieve the desired 2.2 without resorting to a colorimeter; this is a gaming monitor, and most games don't interpret ICC profiles correctly or simply ignore them! So he really should have done more to tweak the monitor on a hardware level. Looking a bit beyond that small square that the colorimeter focusses on in the centre of the screen wouldn't have gone amiss either. It is good to hear that the black uniformity of the monitor he tested was good (that's a good sign, although the image is underexposed so not really very representitive). Sorry for being overly critical here it's just that I don't see why this review suddenly got you excited about the monitor - was it the suggestion of very low input lag that you wanted confirmation about?

Last edited:
Associate
That review was posted just above ^^

It doesn't really give much of an extra insight into the monitor compared to the French review posted a while back (I would highly recommend you read the summary posted on my website). He actually didn't seem overly impressed with the 3D capabilities (in terms of crosstalk - although he seemed to appreciate the extra brightness) and the default settings left a bit to be desired. The native centre-point average gamma of the display seems to be 2.0 and I would very much like to know if you can achieve the desired 2.2 without resorting to a colorimeter; this is a gaming monitor, and games don't interpret ICC profiles correctly or simply ignore them! So he really should have done more to tweak the monitor on a hardware level. Looking a bit beyond that small square that the colorimeter focusses on in the centre of the screen wouldn't have gone amiss either. Sorry for being overly critical here it's just that I don't see why this review suddenly got you excited about the monitor - was it the suggestion of very low input lag that you wanted confirmation about? This was discussed in my previous post.

I thought he was quite positive about the 3D, especially after tweaking the contrast a bit.

Essentially for me it will mostly be used for 2D with the added option of 3D for the games I would want to use it on, so the low input lag was important.

Overall I thought the review was very positive.

Soldato
Well I actually found the French review a bit more insightful and positive regarding 3D performance as it seemed a bit more detailed. But I think from everything I've read about the monitor that 3D will be quite a unique and excellent experience on it. I haven't seen anything substantial that would really reveal how it presents itself in 2D though. I know from experience roughly what to expect but I will say that I don't write over 6000 words on some of my monitor reviews for nothing - there is too much of a focus on getting a little machine (i.e. colorimeter) to do the work these days and when it comes to the whole monitor you have so much more to consider. When gaming on TN panels with different screen surfaces in particular that approach is quite flawed. But again there is never going to be any substitute to using a monitor yourself. I am still curious as to how the input lag measurement was derived, though, as he explicitly stated he was not very sensitive to input lag so if that's a guesstimate then that is quite weak. ;)

Associate
PCM2 - will you be reviewing this any time soon?

Although in any case, for Nvidia users, this is pretty much the only option at that price point as the Samsung 750 will not work at 120Hz.

Associate
Well I actually found the French review a bit more insightful and positive regarding 3D performance as it seemed a bit more detailed. But I think from everything I've read about the monitor that 3D will be quite a unique and excellent experience on it. I haven't seen anything substantial that would really reveal how it presents itself in 2D though. I know from experience roughly what to expect but I will say that I don't write over 6000 words on some of my monitor reviews for nothing - there is too much of a focus on getting a little machine (i.e. colorimeter) to do the work these days and when it comes to the whole monitor you have so much more to consider. When gaming on TN panels with different screen surfaces in particular that approach is quite flawed. But again there is never going to be any substitute to using a monitor yourself. I am still curious as to how the input lag measurement was derived, though, as he explicitly stated he was not very sensitive to input lag so if that's a guesstimate then that is quite weak. ;)

I would certainly like some more details on 2D performance than is currently out there. If you hear anything give us a shout. ;)

I may just be guinea pig with this one and give it a go anyway.

Soldato
Don't let me put you off - haven't taken my pills this morning. ;) I am sure you will love the monitor and the picture will become clearer when good ol' guinea pigs like you test this monitor and give your impressions. :p

@F4810

I feel your frustration! I have certainly given Samsung an earful about their decision not to include DVI on the SA750 series and there was suggestion that the S27A700D was a possibility (no confirmation though and it will be next year at the earliest). Regarding the ASUS I would really love to test it out. I've been asked a few times in this thread but my reply remains the same that, unfortunately, it is unlikely that I will be able to fully review it. I just don't get along with with ASUS PR department, which is a shame seeing as I frequently recommend their products on my website. I will explore this avenue again but they are extremely difficult to work with and don't seem to like providing monitors for reviewers in the UK unless they are PC Advisor or some other huge publication. On my current system, which is AMD-based, I would also be unable to test out the 3D Vision 2 system which would be a big shame and the source of much ridicule I'm sure. Having said that I will look into alternative sourcing and perhaps getting a testbed set up using an Nvidia-based system. Even if I don't get to have enough time with the monitor to produce a full review I hope I will get to test it out in some form for a couple of hours at least. :)

Associate
Mine's on it's way already from nacs :eek:

Order despatched - 07 Nov 2011 13:15:00

@pcm, yeah, that review was disappointingly flimsy, the french review was ten times better though it didn't mention input lag at all and that's the biggy for me, being a gamer.

I also thought the section about input lag was worryingly vague, it read like he'd felt for it rather than done any sort of testing but he did use the phrase "the level of input lag I was able to measure" so that kind of allayed my fears a bit.

Soldato
That's exciting (and surprising)- wow! Fingers crossed that you get a good one, although there's nothing to suggest they aren't all good yet. :D And I can see somebody asked him about the input lag and he said he did use the stop clock method. Given he said it's close to zero that is a good sign. :)

Soldato
As pointed out elsewhere the Samsung 6 series offers 60Hz, like all 3D TVs, but simply uses frame interpolation to achieve higher refresh rates. With a 120Hz monitor you get a true 120Hz output which means the monitor is capable of displaying 120 discrete frames a second (if your GPU can keep up). The Samsung TV simply inserts intermediate frames with hybrid information (a blend of respective frames). This can make motion on movies in particular appear smoother but for gaming at high frame rates it often causes artifacts which are far worse than a bit of trailing. Couple that with the input lag (which frame interpolation simply adds to) and things get a bit messy. As mentioned in a previous thread there is all sorts of image processing that goes on and the overall image probably just won't look as good. TVs can generally get away with this because at most they drive consoles playing low frame rate games or display films and other content from a reasonable viewing distance. Sit up close and the cracks begin to show. The experience of fluidity and being connected with the game that you will get on a 120Hz monitor simply will not be found on any TV.

Associate
Just plugged mine in and out of the box, running the nVidia test app there's an awful lot of ghosting. Then again the test app always did ghost a lot, but with one eye closed I can very clearly see an outline of the other image. Hmm.

Obviously I haven't fiddled with anything at all yet, apart from setting it to sRGB mode for the desktop. In 3D mode there isn't much to alter apart from the contrast and lightboost, neither of which change the ghosting.

Rather disappointing I'd say, as I was hoping ghosting would not be an issue. It seems much the same as with the Samsung 2233. Maybe I can tweak it to be better..

Anyway, not wanting to give up hope so easily I fire up Hard Reset, fiddle with it a bit (seems to crash with a second monitor in portrait orientation), adjust the gamma right down as the monitor is now super-bright in 3D, and start playing. Instantly I'm forgetting about ghosting and just loving the big screen. It's probably there if I look for it, but maybe this is all about getting the brightness levels just right.

No doubt there will be more technical impressions as others get their displays from the evil box shifters up and running today. I'm going to flick through the manual and learn how to use the setups in the French review and the 3D Vision blog to see if I can get better results.

Oh yes - the new glasses - fab.

Back
Top Bottom