Moving to Toronto

Associate
As title really, should be leaving on saturday unless anything goes particularly wrong. I'm well aware i'm going into painful painful cold times. Is there anything that I must do while I'm over there? Anything I really should get now rather than wait until I'm over there?

Not sure whether to get winter stuff here or wait until I get over there!

Should probably add its with work and only on a 3month contract at first, depending on my performance and their need it may be extended. Pretty happy about the whole thing, only downers are the time of year I'm going at and the hour commute each way. Is it a decent place in terms of night life?

Haven't been to the gym in 3months due to numerous factors, can't wait to get my butt in gear once i'm over there!

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm jealous. I've got all the paperwork in and had the money sorted for the same move 5 years ago. Then my wife decided that as we were starting a family she wanted to stay near her parents and the dream died a death. I can understand it, but it's still a regret.

It will be amazing, but cold is an understatement! Could be worse, it could be Montreal!

Soldato
Awesome :) Well jealous :p

I'm hoping to move to Toronto (Or Vancouver, haven't decided yet) for a year this time next year... Cannot wait :)

Good luck :)

Soldato
Oh man the cold isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

You'll get use to it very quickly.

Enjoy, it's probably the best city to be in for nightlife in Canada. Some prefer Vancouver but both are equally as good.

Permabanned
I'm moving over to Canada in January got myself 1 years working holiday Visa and then going to extend it to another year after that one, cant wait!!!!!!

Av8

Av8

Associate
Is it a decent place in terms of night life?

Cool, also one place i'd emigrate to as well as the outskirts of Calgary

Love Toronto, the whole area is fab. I was always based next to Pearson airport, in the Marriott hotel when there. Been going to Toronto for 13 years, the company i work for have pulled out of the Canadian market :(
Great for Steak in the "Keg" restaurants, expensive but worth it and the "Victoria fillet" is one of the best to try.
Night life is good, start off around the Eaton center and walk up Yonge st away from Union which is nearer the waterfront. Hard Rock cafe area is ok too on Yonge st, a few good so called "Irish/British pubs" there too.
Transport is great too, very cheap and much much more reliable than the UK infrastructure. (Bus/Underground) Also driving is easy enough too, get yourself out to Niagara falls & Niagara on the Lake.

All the best out there, and enjoy.

Av8 :)

Soldato
Where in/around Toronto will you be living?
We singled out Mississauga (sp?) as it had good transport links to the centre but was reasonably priced. (A little industrial, but my wife works in industry so it meant good job prospects).

Associate
OP
I don't pay for my place, work does and they're usually very decent to people. I've been told on the sly that we will be placed very close to union street station to help our commute and most people with my company are around Yonge Street. I'll be working out in Burlington which is a bit of a pain, would be great if I was just in toronto, so I had more time to do stuff, very worried about getting time for the gym.

With regard to public transport is it reliable once the weather gets bad?

Soldato
It seems infinitely better than ours when we see a flake of snow. School buses stop running when it get's really cold. Last time I was out there I heard a radio news bulletin stating school buses were not running as kids standing at bus stops would experience their flesh beginning to freeze within on minute of being there:eek:

Av8

Av8

Associate
With regard to public transport is it reliable once the weather gets bad?

The weather i have experienced over there in years gone by, no problems with buses at all. They are so well prepared it puts the UK to shame, Calgary is the same i've never had problems there either.
Even last winter when i was there, it was a blizzard and the buses were still running even though it was Christmas week. And even the week after i was there for New Years eve, transport was running.
You'll be fine over there, goes without saying wrap up and you'll be ok.

Associate
Tim Horton's, get yourself a double double and a box of Timbits.

If you do stay until the summer, it can get painfully humid, as in, warning old fokl to stay in doors and hug their air con painful.

Poutine, who'd have though chips, gravy and cheese curd would go together?

You'll find a lot of 'bars' pretty much expect you to eat when you're just after a few drinks.

Don't expect change back when you pay for something, it seems pretty much given in most places that the shrapnel is a tip.

Check out Sin and Redemption on Dundas & McCaul. Alongside The 'Shoe on Queen Street West.

Was only over there for two weeks on my honeymoon but utterly loved the place, me and the wife have been contemplating emigration since.

Permabanned
I'm jealous. I've got all the paperwork in and had the money sorted for the same move 5 years ago. Then my wife decided that as we were starting a family she wanted to stay near her parents and the dream died a death. I can understand it, but it's still a regret.

It will be amazing, but cold is an understatement! Could be worse, it could be Montreal!

Honestly I think you did the right thing. A friend of mine has done the opposite and moved to Toronto a few years ago with his Canadian wife to start a family but effectively lost his support network in the UK. He really really regrets the decision, his parents hardly ever get to see their grandson which is bad for both of them and he gets next to no time off in Canada, he basically lives to work in Toronto. He really would come back but even if his wife wanted to it would be a massive struggle for them to afford it. He's basically stuck there.

The grass is always greener...

Soldato
Pop into the SteamWhistle brewery for a tour and checkout what's going on there as they host all kinds of events.

Back
Top Bottom