Mobile flash is dead

Soldato
Big sigh of relief from the Apple crowd, amazing as they have been banging the 'it does not matter' drum for how long?

This will take a LONG time for sites to switch over;
Some of our source code licensees may opt to continue working on and releasing their own implementations. We will continue to support the current Android and PlayBook configurations with critical bug fixes and security updates.

Man of Honour
I don't know about half the phones on there, but surely when a phone is released it should come with the latest software? Why is this not the case?

Because manufacturers don't care and worry too much about loading the phone with their 'custom' rubbish.

Soldato
Because manufacturers don't care and worry too much about loading the phone with their 'custom' rubbish.
That's a shame, it reminds me of cheaper laptops that come filled with a load of useless software. Also I guess running older versions of the OS will have more security holes?

Still iOs isn't perfect, I'm hoping that Apple fix this issue pretty sharpish:

Anyway I guess we're going off topic now...

Caporegime
Thank **** Flash will die soon - cant believe how often that POS crashes - Adobe/Macromedia just never kept it streamlined...

Surely that article isnt actually news? Thought it was a well-known issue as Manus make new phones theyll happily forget to provide timely support for previous generations of phones? Just happens more frequently on Android because how often they release phones without any real guidance from Google...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Permabanned
Risky Business #218 -- Precisely how badly does Android support suck?

http://risky.biz/RB218

:D

lol, that really doesn't tell the full story does it. You can't even send MMS from the original iPhone, not for any technical reason, just because they strip out key features of each release of IOS for older models. Plus, you actually try using iOS5 on an original iPhone.

Also what are those handsets? Where is the HTC Desire or the Galaxy S, probably the two most popular Android handsets in Europe and ones that are actually comparable to the iPhone.

Very misleading article, but deliberately so. Certainly one that naive Apple owners will lap up though.

Caporegime
lol, that really doesn't tell the full story does it. You can't even send MMS from the original iPhone, not for any technical reason, just because they strip out key features of each release of IOS for older models. Plus, you actually try using iOS5 on an original iPhone.

Also what are those handsets? Where is the HTC Desire or the Galaxy S, probably the two most popular Android handsets in Europe and ones that are actually comparable to the iPhone.

Very misleading article, but deliberately so. Certainly one that naive Apple owners will lap up though.
Im confused Wicksta - even adding those missing handsets still doesnt paint a pretty picture, even with the implied bias regards how those older phones actually handle new OS releases as opposed to being just supported by them (at best the article seems to focus just on support and not usage)

I just dont see where its misleading unless you are trying to be particularly paranoid - you have a point, but its not really one that distracts from the original argument, more just leads off to another tangent...

:eek: @ unsigned code working through Apple Store

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
I use flash quite regularly & I have no problems with it crashing?

In fact since version 10 flash hasn't been a problem for me at all. Does HMTL5 actually support full screen yet? I don't mean full screen so the browser is still showing either! If it doesn't then HMTL5 is useless to me. Will the BBC support HTML5 on their F1 streams also?

There are many sites out there still that use flash. HTML5 is no where near mainstream enough yet.

Last edited:
Permabanned

But it's similar to a Linux distribution. No modern Linux server will be shipped with the latest kernel and vendors like Red Hat will release their own patched 'older' kernels to fix any issues normally. You really cannot compare Android and iOS in the way that chart does, they are a completely different type of ecosystem.

iOS is more like a traditional OS like OSX or Windows with conventional releases, Android is more like Linux with vendor based distributions. People need to be less obsessed with version numbers.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
But it's similar to a Linux distribution. No modern Linux server will be shipped with the latest kernel and vendors like Red Hat will release their own patched 'older' kernels to fix any issues normally. You really cannot compare Android and iOS in the way that chart does, they are a completely different type of ecosystem.

iOS is more like a traditional OS like OSX or Windows with conventional releases, Android is more like Linux with vendor based distributions. People need to be less obsessed with version numbers.

I know, but regardless of that updates are still very dodgy. LG and Motorola are especially looked down on because of it, HTC could be better and Samsung have improved a lot recently.

Soldato
Flash 11 will be good enough over the next few years. It runs really well now, they've done a great job.

There's still so content much that doesn't use HTML5, blocks mobile use or bumps you down to the low bandwidth version.

Back
Top Bottom