**British Armed Forces Discussion Thread**

Permabanned
I said he him that I was interested in joining the army in the capacity as an officer in the near future (next year), and that I was hoping to get involved to a greater degree.

He confirmed about the OTC and said that was about it, but you could try ringing the TA up.

Associate
the TA/OTC are the official Army-lite things.

Oh really? I've one friend in the TA who has done 2 tours of sandy places as a medic and is expecting papers for a 3rd tour soon, another who was told she could go on a voluntary basis or they would mobilise her for a longer tour, and I know of whole squadrons of infantry guys being mobilised for Afgan.

The TA isn't Dad Army any more, and they will continue to play an ever larger role in the fabric of the British Military as the government reduces the size of the regular forces

Associate
Soldato
Well, I'm now sleeping on a mattress on a floor, with barely any kit, as it's all in a bergan and gorilla box, ready for deploying on Wednesday. Can't wait :D. 6 months in Lashka Gah awaits!

Soldato
enjoy mate, lash aint too bad to be honest, i spent a fair bit of time there, Food is awesome, try the fillet steak trust me:p

I'll be living on steak if I get the chance haha.
Just sitting in kit now, waiting for coaches to take us to the airport, fun times. Can't really be bothered with the tour now lol.

Caporegime
Ill be on around $53kAUD a year excluding allowances after training;) (It does include Service Allowance and Uniform Allowance and Thats before Tax and Super have been taken out)

Only 2 weeks until I go in:cool:

Here is the Pay grades if you want to have a look/ make sense of them.
http://content.defencejobs.gov.au/pdf/triservice/DFT_Document_PayRates.pdf

Holy crap!

I was talking to some Canadians when I was in Holland, they were getting a crazy amount to be there. They were stunned when I told them I had to pay extra to go there!

Caporegime
Just heard on Radio 4 that the Army will be completely withdrawn from Germany by 2020, bringing to an end 60 years of occupation.

A significant event for sure.

The troops from Germany (and also Cyprus) will apparently be housed in former RAF bases.

I'm sad that kids won't have the experience and opportunities I had as a forces kid in Germany / Cyprus. So much entertainment laid on all the time with a sound bunch of people. Met most of my best friends during my time in Germany, and Germany is simply an awesome country.

Associate
Just heard on Radio 4 that the Army will be completely withdrawn from Germany by 2020, bringing to an end 60 years of occupation.

A significant event for sure.

The troops from Germany (and also Cyprus) will apparently be housed in former RAF bases.

Been in the pipeline for ages, we at 20 armoured are set to leave earliest 2015, if we get located in like scotland I'm going to have a hard time keeping up spirits about staying in for a full career also huge paycut going back to the UK due to LOA.

Suspended
Been in the pipeline for ages, we at 20 armoured are set to leave earliest 2015, if we get located in like scotland I'm going to have a hard time keeping up spirits about staying in for a full career also huge paycut going back to the UK due to LOA.

How much is LOA now?

All the other perks will go as well - tax free cars, subsidised fuel, Mehrwertsteuer if you're shopping off base :(

You just know you'll end up in some **** **** like Bulford or Tidworth :(

Associate
How much is LOA now?

All the other perks will go as well - tax free cars, subsidised fuel, Mehrwertsteuer if you're shopping off base :(

You just know you'll end up in some **** **** like Bulford or Tidworth :(

LOA is about £320 I believe, didn't get a full month of it last payslip.

All the germany blokes are going either North / North east or bonny Scotland, suppose it not too bad for me being a smoggie to get home but It's nice being over in Europe for basically no extra trouble.

So far only been based down south, most of the time as far as portsmouth, being 300 miles from home is silly.

Back
Top Bottom