Replacing my i7-920 Bloomfield Quad Core (help with spec please)

Associate
Hi All

Ok looking to rip out the guts of my i7 build and replace with hardware up to the job of HD Encoding and Video editing, Large image work flow in Lightroom and run BF3 at 2560x1440!

Present system is as follows:
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5700 1GB GDDR5
i7-920 Bloomfield Quad Core - 2.66 GHz, 1333MHz FSB, Socket 1366
Gigabyte EX58-UD5 motherboard
Patriot Viper 6GB DDR3 PC3-12800C8 1600MHz DDR3

Raid:0
Drive 1:150GB Western Digital WD1500BLFS VelociRaptor
Drive 2:150GB Western Digital WD1500BLFS VelociRaptor
Corsair Pro HX850W Power supply - 850 Watt

At present Video editing is ok but could be faster, Lightroom is lagging and takes time to sharpen preview thumbnails. I have both programs set-up correctly with scratch disk's and so on.

So looking to replace this with the following and was wondering if I would run into any issues with the GPU and Motherboard?

Workstation PRO Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz @ 4.50GHz Overclocked Bundle
LINK
BU-033-OP_200.jpg

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 580 SOC 1536MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card [GV-N580SO-15I]
LINK
GX-082-GI_200.jpg

If I can get a decent price for the VelociRaptor's then I'll go RAID:0 on a couple of solid states.

Any thoughts on the above would be very helpful!

Many thanks

Xrayhead

Soldato
Ok, a couple of things.

In a nutshell: Hold out on upgrading to the 2600k, and get a better GPU.

In detail:
At the resolution you're playing at you'd probably benefit from a 580 with 3GB of RAM. This is obviously going to cost a bit more.
The extra cost you might be able to save up in the next month or so, before now and socket 2011. 2011 is the equivelant of 1366 for the first gen i5's, and basically you'll be able to buy a SB-E chip - much better rendering performance. I'd say it was worth the wait, so long as your current issues aren't crippling.

If you're going to RAID SSD's, get Crucial M4's, Size is obviously up to you.

Edit: Just looked it up, release date for SB-E rumours are about 15th November. So would definitely be worth waiting a week and seeing their performance/cost gain over current SB.

kd

Soldato
Instead of buying an overclocked i7 2600K why don't you just OC that 920, mine's been running @4GHz for 2.5 years now, the i7 2600K won't be that much faster. Your MB is good for 4GHz.

Associate
OP
Instead of buying an overclocked i7 2600K why don't you just OC that 920, mine's been running @4GHz for 2.5 years now, the i7 2600K won't be that much faster. Your MB is good for 4GHz.

Overclock your current cpu :) still got plenty of power.

Then try and get hold of a 570 with 3gb vram if its out there doubt the 580 is really worth the premium.

Sorry I should have mentioned that the rig I have at present is an Overclockers bundle running at 4GHz

CPU-ZScreenPrt.gif

Soldato
+1 for waiting for the new LGA 2011 (X79) Sandy Bridge-E CPUs and boards if yoiu can afford the extra expense over a LGA 1155 system. This LGA 2011 line includes Hex core sandy bridge-based CPUs like the Core i7 3930K, which for multi-threaded applications (like the ones you will be using) will offer significant performance benefits over existing Sandy Bridge LGA 1155 Quad cores like the i7 2600K/2700K. These LGA 2011 CPUs are also designed to be very easy to overclock.

If you don't want to overclock a LGA 2011 system yourself then it's pretty much certain that OCUK will offer pre-overclocked bundles on launch day (around a week away AFAIK).

Also, buying an SSD to use as your boot disk (and to install your key applications) will also greatly help your performance on many occasions (since in many places applications are limited by the existing mechanical storage drives - not your relatively quick CPU, RAM or GPU). As for a recommendation on which SSD, the crucial M4 models are excellent.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
What model is the graphics card? 5770?

Im sure a GPU upgrade alone will give you the performance you want.

+1 for waiting for the new LGA 2011 (X79) Sandy Bridge-E CPUs and boards if yoiu can afford the extra expense over a LGA 1155 system. This LGA 2011 line includes Hex core sandy bridge-based CPUs like the Core i7 3930K, which for multi-threaded applications (like the ones you will be using) will offer significant performance benefits over existing Sandy Bridge LGA 1155 Quad cores like the i7 2600K/2700K. These LGA 2011 CPUs are also designed to be very easy to overclock.

If you don't want to overclock a LGA 2011 system yourself then it's pretty much certain that OCUK will offer pre-overclocked bundles on launch day (around a week away AFAIK).

Also, buying an SSD to use as your boot disk (and to install your key applications) will also greatly help your performance on many occasions (since in many places applications are limited by the existing mechanical storage drives - not your relatively quick CPU, RAM or GPU). As for a recommendation on which SSD, the crucial M4 models are excellent.

Thanks for the reply guy's, one thing I 98% need more of is RAM . Adobe Light-room is lagging big time and shouldn't be (I don't think so anyway). When loading in 30 or so 18MP images it takes its time to sharpen the previews (especially when flicking through them in loop view) :(

I have just got a Corsair 120GB Force 3 SSD for my laptop so going to do some testing to see how light-room runs on that..

Thanks again, Xray

Soldato
If you do go for a X79 (LGA 2011) system, them most of the boards (the higher-end ones at least) have eight RAM slots and run in up to four channel mode. Therefore, with a relatively basic quad channel memory kit (4x4GB 1600MHz) you will get a total of 16GB, with the ability to upgrade to 32GB later by adding more sticks.

Associate
Also, buying an SSD to use as your boot disk (and to install your key applications) will also greatly help your performance on many occasions (since in many places applications are limited by the existing mechanical storage drives - not your relatively quick CPU, RAM or GPU).

+1 for this!

Get yourself some more RAM if programs are running slow after getting an SSD (its so cheap you might as well!) but I would hold out for 2011 as the previous posters have said, so just the SSD would be a good purchase for now (and the graphics card)! :D

Back
Top Bottom