Phone call about cv/resume

Soldato
Just phoned a lady in Chicago about helping with my 'resume' (I was referred by a friend). Oh my gosh, I felt like a complete newb. :rolleyes:

I have never heard things like 'verticle space' (or heard it, but never known it's meaning as it wasn't important until now). Aiming to be a consultant over there, but oh man.. looks like I am about to have a whirlwind with a steep learning curve in the American job market lol.

Soldato
OP
lol, maybe got the spelling wrong? But just in case.. it's about which area's you are good in.. i.e. manufacturing / finance / pharmaceutical etc. So which area/market. Obviously it's just business speak, but I'll have to learn quick if else I'm gonna sound like a complete div.

Phone call was meant to be helping with it, not just asking about where I wanted to work.. lol.

Soldato
I'm guessing you mean vertical and horizontal markets, it's quite a commonly used term. Sometimes referred to as their respective spaces.

Lifting directly from wikipedia:

Vertical market

A vertical market (often referred to simply as a "vertical") is a group of similar businesses and customers that engage in trade based on specific and specialized needs. Often, participants in a vertical market are very limited to a subset of a larger industry (a niche market). An example of this sort of market is the market for point-of-sale terminals, which are often designed specifically for similar customers and are not available for purchase to the general public. Vertical marketing can be witnessed at trade shows. The opposite of vertical marketing is horizontal marketing.

A horizontal market is a market which meets a given need of a wide variety of industries, rather than a specific one.

Example

In technology, horizontal markets consist of customers that share a common need that exists in many or all (vertical) industries. For example, customers that need to purchase computer security services or software exist in such varied industries as finance, healthcare, government, etc. Together, these customers constitute the security horizontal market. Other examples of horizontal markets include computer storage, accounting, desktop graphics, computer-aided design, sales force automation, and human resources. Often specialized distribution channels emerge to serve these unique horizontal markets.

Man of Honour
Vertical space is referring to your experience of working within a given industry sector, such as Finance, Telecoms or FMCG. If you can demonstrate experience of working within given sectors, show special skills or experience you might become more valuable to companies within the given space.

Soldato
OP
lol @ the **** taking.

Thanks Pestilence. I'll take all my software development skills and just go work in MacDonalds instead. I've been in the same place for 5 years, it's not surprising I'm a little out of touch with having to use buzz words. When people say thinks like "I connected with so and so" it isn't natural for me to talk that way.

And yes.. seems I missed the whole 'warm gooey' bit at the beginning about moving to the USA.

Soldato
lol @ the **** taking.

Thanks Pestilence. I'll take all my software development skills and just go work in MacDonalds instead. I've been in the same place for 5 years, it's not surprising I'm a little out of touch with having to use buzz words. When people say thinks like "I connected with so and so" it isn't natural for me to talk that way.

And yes.. seems I missed the whole 'warm gooey' bit at the beginning about moving to the USA.

Calm down dear, I'm just ribbing you. ;):p

Nobody knows everything. :)

You need to adopt some more Blue Sky thinking. Really become adaptable and proactive, dynamic and connective.

Back
Top Bottom