Official page for the Asus VG278H now online.

Associate
It's the overdrive. 100 gives negative ghosting. 80 seems perfect :D

Had another night and I think it's now safe to say that this is best monitor I've ever owned :D

Hope you do manage to get one, pcm, would love to hear your opinions on it.

edit: yeah, there's no gamma control on the monitor itself.

Associate
Not really a complaint but I wanted to point it out in case it bothers anyone. Text is easy to read etc but I guess its that slight 14% or whatever increase that moves this from something that is not visable to something that is. I tried to adjust the clear type to see if it improves but it does not make much of a difference.

27" is much better for gaming when you are old like me as the enemies are 14% bigger too.

Haha actually on a serious note I'm now not sure if I want to pay over £200 more for this screen than getting say Asus' 24" version and the 3D kit second hand.

I don't play games that much and so my reason to get another monitor is purely the 3D Vision. I was waiting to see how much of an advantage 3D vision 2 was and it doesn't seem that great.

On the other hand I found when I had the BenQ 24" last year that the screen looks quite small when you've got the glasses one - that's one reason I bought a 120hz projector!

Associate
All calibrated to my liking and looking great for a TN screen.

BF3 is silky smooth (I found the default 'gaming mode' trace free setting of 60 worked better than 80 for me and this also was the case when I ran Pixperan). I also turned the sharpness down quite a bit and the saturation down slightly.

Set up the 3D glasses today and played Fallout 3 for a bit (its doesnt work in BF3 yet) and I must say that I was very impressed with it and the big screen helps make the 3d more immersive. Much better than I hoped for and looking forward to BF3 support.

All in all I am very pleased with the monitor.

Associate
Played around with it for a couple of days now and its all going great so far.

The monitor has a lovely build quality and the emitter is low key.

After playing around with the settings for a bit desktop use is perfectly ok (compared to always using either 1200 or 1440) although I will probably carry on using my Hazro as a second monitor for that.

Gaming so far is marvellous. I was a bit sceptical at first about 120hz but I've got Skyrim running at 60fps+ and it all feels smoother. I'm sure this will be highlighted even more when I play some fast paced FPS games.

I do have an issue however. I cannot enable 3D Vision. When I try to it states that my desktop needs to be running 32bit colour (which it is). Nvidia control panel picks the monitor up as an ASUS but Windows (7 64) sees it as generic. Any help on this issue would be much appreciated.

Associate
I should be able to buy this monitor on tuesday as i have a buyer for my dell who offered £415 which i accepted :)
Also how is the Viewing angles on this for a TN monitor? my 27 hanngs g had a lot better viewing then my old Asus VG236HE

Associate
How do you get 3d vision and this monitor working on a PS3 ? can not see any settings anywhere. Running great on my PC but would like to see Uncharted on PS3 running in 3d ....help please

Caporegime
How do you get 3d vision and this monitor working on a PS3 ? can not see any settings anywhere. Running great on my PC but would like to see Uncharted on PS3 running in 3d ....help please

According this you don't:

Scratch that, it doesn't support SBS 3D, so that most ps3 games and 3d blu-rays ruled out. No sale

From this thread.

Further on in thread someone says you can play 3D movies connected directly to a PC but PS3 3D looks like a no no.

Associate
According this you don't:

From this thread.

Further on in thread someone says you can play 3D movies connected directly to a PC but PS3 3D looks like a no no.

Thanks for the reply....

OH :( i thought that Mentaur had it working when he wrote "OK have used the setups from Bloody on the 3D Vision blog, and am currently running the PS3 via HDMI. Never seen the PS3 in 3D before. Took me a while to realise I had to enable it via the display settings"

Caporegime
Thanks for the reply....

OH :( i thought that Mentaur had it working when he wrote "OK have used the setups from Bloody on the 3D Vision blog, and am currently running the PS3 via HDMI. Never seen the PS3 in 3D before. Took me a while to realise I had to enable it via the display settings"

Personally I've no idea as I don't own the monitor or a PS3.

I was assuming that robgmun knew what he was on about.

Associate
Just setup the new monitor which came at 1pm today after ordering after 3pm yeserday from ocuk so quite inpressed with the dispatch time and deliver service :)
I try post my thoughts on it in few days after more testing. But so far i like it and thats without gaming on it :D

Also even tho i hated 16:9 on 23 inch. I would say 16:9 on 27 is the prefect size. Not to small and not to big. My dell 30 16:10 was overkill. After i sold it i was using my old 27 16:10

Associate
PS3 and Blu-Ray use 'frame packing' for 3D, which is supported by this monitor. XBOX 360 uses 'side by side' for most of their 3D games.

Last edited:
Associate
I had a day trying out the 3D yesterday and was impressed. I was very sceptical initially until a few hours in Skyrim.

Practically it's not perfect. For someone who wears glasses and headphones, it can be a bit uncomfortable.

The feeling of depth is quite subtle, certainly in Skyrim anyway. It's not an in your face thing. Your hands are the things you notice the most, a nice feeling of depth between them and the environment.

The effect is not readily apparent in the environment until you walk up close to a tree or a person, then the effect is very very good. Switching back to 2D though there is an obvious depth to everything in 3D.

There is a problem with the HUD; reading text for example you have to keep refocusing which I found a problem. Maybe this was just me though. There is also an issue with the stars (which there may be a fix for) and some of the water on the ground.

The most impressive thing is that it is almost like playing the game in 2D quality wise. It was bright enough, and there was no apparent loss of graphical quality. Also, minimal ghosting if you look for it. If I went out of my way it was barely noticeable in some area's.

Very surprised overall at the quality of 3D Vision. If only I could find a work around with having a second monitor plugged in disabling the 3D.

Associate
I am tempted to get one of these, but i am worried because my desk is quite small and i think 27" might be too big. Does anyone know when or if a 24" version will be released?

Back
Top Bottom