Mac Mini type 'Windows PC'

Soldato
OP
Seriously thinking of building a system with the Lian Q07. Wesena looks great but not sure what to do there. I know the heatsink would be tight. Does the Pico come with extra connectors for sata and 12v mobo 4pin connector? So, if building with the Q07:

Now, i would want a very quiet modular PSU if not a Pico PSU. 8gig ram, what CPU / Mobo combination? An i3? It would have to have onboard gpu. Hard drive would be my existing 250g 2.5 7200 one. I would use my existing DVDRW too.

So, what you think guys? Dont want to ramp the price up.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Right, final spec, i think. Only thing now, should i go for the Wesena or the Lian Q07?

Is the spec below feasable?

Samsung Spinpoint M7 250GB 2.5" Notebook Hard Drive
Lian Li PC-Q07B, Black
Corsair Memory 8GB DDR3 SO-DIMM PC3-10600 (1333) Dual Channel
Powercool PSUPC450AUBAM 450W Modular Power Supply
Intel CPU i3 2100T Sandy Bridge Dual Core Processor
Asus P8H67-I Deluxe Rev.3.0 Intel H67 Socket 1155 Motherboard (Or would the non deluxe version be better)
SATA 22x DVD Writer SAMSUNG SH-S222AB/BEBE

Would i be better off getting a Pico PSU?

I already own Windows 64bit Retail

Do the above items look ok Cat?

Advice sought. Ta

Last edited:
Soldato
Do it in the Wesena, it's smaller and people have managed to fit everything in.

If you do use the wesena case, you will need a pico psu.

Also the dvd drive needs to be slot loading.

Soldato
OP
Finally ordered this lot today:

Samsung Spinpoint M7 250GB 2.5" Notebook Hard Drive
Lian Li PC-Q07B, Black
Corsair Memory 8GB DDR3 SO-DIMM PC3-10600 (1333) Dual Channel
Pico 160w PSU and Power Brick
Intel CPU i3 2100T Sandy Bridge Dual Core Processor
Asus P8H67-I Deluxe Rev.3.0 Intel H67 Socket 1155 Motherboard
SATA 22x DVD Writer SAMSUNG SH-S222AB/BEBE

Cant wait for it to arrive now!!

I may elect to get the Wesena case sometime down the line.

Soldato
It's a shame Dell stopped doing the Studio Hybrid a while back, it was the perfect competitor to the Mac Mini, had some very cool design features. The machine they replaced it with looked crap in comparison.

I wonder if you could buy a second hand one and remove the internals and update them. They look the business tbh, and coupled with a new m-itx equipment would be excellent for a basic box!

Associate
Well, still undecided!! Started another thread about building an Matx system. I still keep thinking about an ITX system though!

Those Wesena cases looks sweet.

I built a system with a wesena ITX-2. It used the AMD llano A8-3850 (couldnt source the A8-3800 so under clocked the 3850) a scythe kozuti CPU cooler. I used corsair vengeance low profile ram and a 150W picopsu. oh I got a slot loading blue ray drive from the wesena site too.

I had a few problems with this build. The heatsink at 40mm was a little too big and interfered with the frame for the optical drive. Some DIY hammering fixed this. The other problem was that the whole thing ran way too hot even after undervolting as much as I could (a 65W CPU would have prob faired better). The case was too hot to touch after running the pc for more than an hour. I eventually changed the case for the wesena ITX-7 and have not looked back. I had to bend the front switch and IR receiver pins quite a bit to fit the cables round the ram sticks on the motherboard (ASus F1A75-I deluxe)

So I would try for a 35W CPU ideally with an ultra low heatsink. Everything else will just fit. Be careful with the optical drive choice as the button whole is at a non standard position on the case. Go for the ones sold by wesena.

Last edited:
Associate
I don't game on it. It's used primarily as an htpc. I'll need to check the temps when Im back home. All I know at this stage is that the CPU fan doesn't speed up to max (remains at a low quiet setting) during the playback of movies and while idle.

Back
Top Bottom