Is this a real girl, or a lie?

Soldato
Just skype me yourself if you're that bothered.

Oh I forgot the gig .. HIDE BEHIND THE KEYBOARD .. HIDE BEHIND THE INTERNET ...

Awesome.

what is your skype you punk, I'll do so tonight.

If it is somewhat chatroulette-esque however, don't say I didn't warn you in advance.

Associate
Well, quite a turnaround in my books.

I tip my hat to you Britboy. You bring a lot of the carp you get on yourself, and I think you know that's what you're doing, but I think you've come out of all of this with some credibility.

Have +10 Interwebz points :)

Soldato
No, but considering britboy gets a lot of stick already for whatever he writes (sometimes necessary) posting a video on youtube of him on skype is a bit unfair without his permission and is borderline bullying.

I have to agree with this:

1) I don't use skype much at all and i didn't know you could record videos.

2) Probably wouldn't do it if i did know anyway, that would be a bit off IMO

3) He seems up for being on skype so you can call him and see it all for yourself, he's not shying away from that

Last edited:
Soldato
/snip
but I digress ...

You know what, having paged through all this but not seen the skype stuff - then fair play to ya and I believe your stories.

I think it's the way you tell stories and some of the things you choose share with us, that makes you a bit of a target for a lynch mob.

Flirting with girls on chatroom, while married ... is rather sad - but if it gets your rocks off, then meh - I don't care.

As for the salary, again I think it's the way you put it that's made it sound like you are talking out of your arse. Many people on here don't realise how "easy" it is to make that kind of money as a contractor in the right industry.

Let me guess - 400ish pd on a rolling contract?

Most people on here are student-types who think that to earn 100k 'ish per year, you need to be some super clever high flyer, which isn't always the case. It's easy enough to charge 400 - 500 a day (500 is pretty much bog standard for IT staff in a Bank) if you;re in the right market.

For the lynch mob:
http://www.sjdaccountancy.com/contractor_calculator/index.html

Stick in 450 a day in there and see what your NET wage is

Then stick in 100 000 gross per year in here
http://www.listentotaxman.com/index.php

So, if britboy's poor wife actually also makes a decent salary, well hey ho - 10k on PC stuff doesn;t seem so far fetched now does it?

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
You know what, having paged through all this but not seen the skype stuff - then fair play to ya and I believe your stories.

Hey thanks fella'

I think it's the way you tell stories and some of the things you choose share with us, that makes you a bit of a target for a lynch mob.

Yea I just share anything really .. the more interesting the better. And as I've said before I've lived for 15 years longer than most here so of course I've done more stuff .. when I was 21 I hadn't done anything!

Flirting with girls on chatroom, while married ... is rather sad - but if it gets your rocks off, then meh - I don't care.
I have done it - like - twice in 8 years of marriage. The missus really doesn't give a monkeys I've always shown her. Each time it has lasted <15 minutes before I'm frankly bored and choose to play starcraft 2 instead. But this one with the beautiful photos I thought 'OCUK is gonna love this' .. and legitimately did wonder if I was chatting to a bloke ...

As for the salary, again I think it's the way you put it that's made it sound like you are talking out of your arse. Many people on here don't realise how "easy" it is to make that kind of money as a contractor in the right industry.

If they took me seriously and went for it themselves I honestly believe they'd be on it themselves within a few years. If, of course, they're prepared to get themselves to the city -- where these opportunities exist. Not all .. but most on here are clever enough to be able to hold down the work I do, or be a C++ developer, or a DBA - I reckon. None of it is difficult. That isn't showing off .. I'm saying ANYONE would find writing SQL easy.. and could get 350-400 a day contracting doing it I reckon .. its basically the fact that people think the guys on these wages MUST be super-gods of awesomeness somehow.. its just wrong .. one thing I will say though is they're all very self confident. If you don't believe in yourself - trust me - no-one else will!!

Let me guess - 400ish pd on a rolling contract?

Yup (well, just a few quid less at the mo) - last one was £400 on the nose. But not rolling contract. 6 monther at the moment, with (as usual) 'possibility for extension'. Which basically means 'If we like you, you get your head down when necessary, we have the work and you don't want more money .. you stay'

Most people on here are student-types who think that to earn 100k 'ish per year, you need to be some super clever high flyer, which isn't always the case. It's easy enough to charge 400 - 500 a day (500 is pretty much bog standard for IT staff in a Bank) if you;re in the right market.

Precisely. I've been screaming from the rooftops I am not particularly good, or clever, or hard working, or some supremo business man, or like one of those apprentices off .. er .. the apprentice. I'm just a normal bloke who found where the money was and aimed for it and got it. God isn't it obvious I'm nothing special. Probably thicker than average ... so if daft old me is doing it -- why arn't the tech bods on here? I honest to god don't understand it .. it's money for free ..

For the lynch mob:
http://www.sjdaccountancy.com/contra...tor/index.html

Stick in 450 a day in there and see what your NET wage is

Then stick in 100 000 gross per year in here
http://www.listentotaxman.com/index.php

So, if britboy's poor wife actually also makes a decent salary, well hey ho - 10k on PC stuff doesn;t seem so far fetched now does it?

The good thing for me is how early I got into the game. A few months after uni. That is the real game changer. Yes the missus was on a healthy wack (for a permy) for a few years working for ELSPA (video games) .. then we were properly rolling in it. But now she's stayin' at home with the little one. If I had MARRIED a contractor .. well, that would defy belief (like, £18 - £20K a MONTH coming in)! But I didn't.

Last edited:
Associate
Well what a waste if an hour of my life reading this thread.......

But selfs as though there is a lot of people reading this thread plus a lot of students. One thing to take away from this is to become a contractor or what britboy really means is a professional agency temperay worker, ie only working on temp contracts in a professional role.

I can quite believe the pay as I have been a contractor for 9 years as a civil engineer and although not as good as IT it can be anything between 310 to 400 day.

And contractors/ temp workers in professional roles tend to get paid 70% more per hour then full time employees. Although you could be out of work tomorrow.

But as for the rest of the thread what an utter waste of bytes

Soldato
We hire contractors regularly, depending on the role, between £250 (very junior end, say perhaps a tester) to around £1500 (architect/consultant level) per day. Some of the people I work with have been here as long as me (5 yrs or so) without a break earning £400+ per day for the same work that someone else is doing for £15p.h. permanent. They're no better than the permie, and in some cases wouldn't even make a permie interview. They're just available at the right time with the right skills. They made themselves pretty much indispensable. Others have come and gone, done short term contracts and struggled to find work elsewhere when the work slows down. Depends on whether you want the fast cash or the security, and to be honest, how much security do any of us have at present?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
We hire contractors regularly, depending on the role, between £250 (very junior end, say perhaps a tester) to around £1500 (architect/consultant level) per day. Some of the people I work with have been here as long as me (5 yrs or so) without a break earning £400+ per day for the same work that someone else is doing for £15p.h. permanent. They made themselves pretty much indispensable. Others have come and gone, done short term contracts and struggled to find work elsewhere when the work slows down. Depends on whether you want the fast cash or the security, and to be honest, how much security do any of us have at present?

The reason contractors command so much is because their jobs are constantly at risk. They might work for a whole year on a contract then they might not get another one for another year and when they do find a new contract it might be much further away so the way they manage their job routine will change from contract to contract as well.

I did some contracting for 2 years and it's crazy money but you don't get many of the benefits of being a permanent staff and do need to either pay a 3rd party to manage your paperwork or do it yourself.
Also long term employment with regular progression looks better on the CV than job hopping at every contract end :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The day rates discussed aren't unbelievable at all and are low compared to some industries. It is a bit tasteless how Britboy threads always seem to degrade into him talking about his earnings and (probably quite earnestly) telling people they could be earning more. I don't particularly think Britboy tells porkies but there are some missing social skills and sometimes an inability to know when not to say something that gets people's backs up.

Permabanned
To be honest, fair play to you britboy. I understand what it's like to tell a story, seemingly far-fetched yet true. I had one of those red letter days under-18 Ferrari driving experiences a few years back, and when I told a couple of friends they laughed at me, told me I was lying until I showed them video footage.

You do seem like a nice enough (if a little bit OTT sometimes, but I'm like that so hey-ho) person, and I hope that after this you won't get as much stick, because you really don't deserve it having proved yourself. Humans as a species are generally vain, and when they see someone doing something awesome they get jealous and try to demean people. I know I was in this thread, but having seen you provide evidence and seeing parallels from some of my own situations I apologise, and hope that I can do as well in life as you have after leaving uni :)

Back
Top Bottom