Paul Gascoigne

Man of Honour
Paul Gascoigne is being interviewed by Piers Morgan this Saturday.

Piers Morgan's Life Stories: Paul GascoigneITV1
Saturday 12th November on ITV1 from 9:45pm to 10:45pm

I'm really looking forward to this. Gazza is one of my three all time greats. Love him or hate him, and despite his personal life, his contribution to the game as player or in the dressing room during his day was sublime.

On the brink of joining United before, I just wonder if things may have turned out better for him under Fergie and whether he ever regrets not joining them. Not that I'm complaining, I loved watching him play at Spurs.

I had the privilege of the meeting the man a few times myself. Once fishing not far from home near Hoddesdon.

Did you ever see him play? Love him? Hate him? Stories?

I was speaking to a groundsman at Spurs recently, he told me the dent in the cockerel at Spurs was caused by Gazza firing an Air gun because the groundsman was fed up with the birds and Gazza took the matter into his own hands haha Nice story, I'd like to think that was true.

Man of Honour
OP
Must have been difficult being in the spotlight one minute then cast out the next. I'm not sure either had the support to deal with this.

3 goals spring to mind..

Euro 96 v Scotland - Obviously
V Arsenal FA Cup 91 - Semi final
V Oxford FA CUP 91 - 4th round..

And the near goal v Germany in the Euro 96 semi.. So so near..

Soldato
Love him.

True character, really wish he had went to ManU for the sake of his career, real shame!

Love the story of him nicking the Boro teambus and driving it through the wall of their brand new training facility :D

Don
My dad and a few other people told me that at the time he moved to Spurs, he supposedly insisted in a clause being put into his deal to allow him to join Liverpool if we came in for him. Not sure whether it was true but he was on the radio not long ago talking about how Liverpool were the team he wanted to join but we couldn't afford to sign him and Rush in the same year and asked him to wait a season but he couldn't.

A lot of people talk about how things may have been different had he not gone to London but I'm not sure it would have made any difference where he ended up. Even in Italy, where they were far more advanced when it came to drink and diet, he was the same.

Caporegime
And you look at another example say Rooney for instance - im glad we turned that ship around. Hardly ever hear about him in the press for dipping his wick in someone's granny, throwing his toys out of the pram wanting a fat contract and thankfully no signs of petulant behaviour on the pitch - lashing out recklessly at opponents for club and country putting his team in jeopardy etc.

Some people are just well Gazza's and Wazza's of this world and always will be irrespective of who they play for.

Associate
I completely idiolised him when I was a kid. He used to come into the chippy where my aunt worked in Dunston. Shame about the complete lack of self control, but so brilliant to watch. But then he left us, so sod him, hes a ****.

Soldato
always remember the euro96 goal broke my heart as a Scotland fan but as a rangers fan you couldnt help but feel proud that he was one of our players.

really think we(rangers fans) saw the best he had to offer scored something like 30 goals for us and really was a touch of class.

annoys me that no one has looked out for him since he left the game, I honestly wish Walter Smith or someone who knew him would have taken/would take him on as a coach. as i honestly think he'd be an asset to any club. The mans a legend and you can only hope someone offers him a helping hand to get him past his troubles

Associate
Total waste of talent.

For me, his finest hour was whilst acting as a self appointed "police negotiator" to Raoul Moat, armed only with a carrier bag stuffed with chicken legs and a six pack of lager.

Permabanned
always remember the euro96 goal broke my heart as a Scotland fan but as a rangers fan you couldnt help but feel proud that he was one of our players.

really think we(rangers fans) saw the best he had to offer scored something like 30 goals for us and really was a touch of class.

annoys me that no one has looked out for him since he left the game, I honestly wish Walter Smith or someone who knew him would have taken/would take him on as a coach. as i honestly think he'd be an asset to any club. The mans a legend and you can only hope someone offers him a helping hand to get him past his troubles

To be fair, Gary Mabbutt has done quite a lot for him.

Soldato
A couple of years ago he came back, was saying all the right things, was even on motd (remember) and then soon after he lapsed again, seems he's aged a lot since then.

Hope he really does well this time and wins his battles

Man of Honour
OP
Thought I'd pick up his book this morning.. Can't put it down. I laughed out when I read the incident at Rangers when he picked up the yellow card and flashed it at the ref. Poor show by the ref who then flashed it back. Seriously, what a ***.

Back
Top Bottom