Have you seen Zeitgeist Moving Foreward 2011?

Permabanned
I watched it when it came out, it's better than the previous films but it's still no where near perfect. Has some interesting things about human development and some sketchy interpretations of the economic system. The bottom line is that it doesn't really paint any alternatives, but it does help people see beyond conventional wisdom to a degree. Sadly the result is generally that you either get people that think it is "truth" and those that think it "bunkum", when really it is something in between.

I welcome the movement, I just hope people learn to think for themselves.

Soldato
I watched this one when it was released and agree it would make for a much better system if it were ever given the chance.

This video and the zeitgeist movement shouldn't to be confused with the first one, it's all about our flawed system now and why we should change it.

Soldato
Explain how a resource based economy will work, because it just sounds like a technocrats paradise.

Helps if you imagine it on a small scale. Imagine a small tribe of people with little outside influence. Society growth is entirely dependant on the surrounding resources and the ability to collect/use them.

A common argument used against resource based economies is human nature: Why would people be motivated when there is no personal reward? It is a powerful argument.Even in small communities gifts would be given and one can probably safely assume that some of these gifts were used to illicit certain behaviours in the recipient. As we have progressed as a society the rewards have simply increased.

Whilst I find Mr Fresco's resource based economy an interesting idea it is based completely on the utopian notion that people will happily give up being rewarded and contribute for the good of society. There will always be the have and the have-nots, always be people who are deemed worth 'more' to society and therefore rewarded more.

The Zeitgeist films are all fascinating stuff to me with some truth in them. How you interpret these truths is down to you. People blindly debunking the entire series as conspiracy-theorist hokum are just as bad as those slavishly believing everything they contain. I have no doubt that this resource based economy idea is unworkable in today's western world, but it shouldn't stop us from trying to find a better way of doing things. Just because what we have now 'works' shouldn't prevent us from trying to improve things.

Associate
The second and third movies aren't really conspiracies. Where's the conspiracies about the fact that it's ****** that people in Africa have nothing but there's billionaires in the world. What is says about society is nothing we don't already know really. It's all over the news, it just puts it in a more negative light that it's normally in.

Soldato
i wouldnt call Zeitgeist True or False (truth or Lies)

i would call it a third term - Junk.

With the huge proliferation of information (and information exchanging and modifying technologies) basically...Junk rules the internet. There is no real way to know the truth.

Soldato
I'm not pouring scorn on its observance of old old problems of the world (the inequities of capitalism for instance).

But we all know this.....and have known it for ages. So...?

I'm saying you cant call it true or false....its like a film designed to generate a specific emotional response. Because we are emotional beings then yeah we respond and agree with the sentiment but its the facts where it fails.

Admittedly i havent watched the later ones. Only watched the first one.

Back
Top Bottom