Good job police

Dup

Dup

Soldato
And yes you can get charged with drink driving without being caught driving at the time. I know someone who drove home from the pub, got home ok, but had the police turn up and breathalyse him and then charge him based on evidence that he was seen leaving the pub in his car.

I was caught in a similar situation (although a more emotional and violent, long story). I admitted it, was breathalysed at the station twice over the limit and was banned for 9 months (12 months but reduced with a course). They said I could have said I wasn't driving and the state of the witnesses could have meant I may have got away with it, but such is life. You do wrong, you take it on the chin and move on.

I am however still puzzled. If I had refused to give a sample of breath or blood, I would have been banned for 6 months for that offence instead like the story in the OP? Doesn't seem right.

Man of Honour
I am however still puzzled. If I had refused to give a sample of breath or blood, I would have been banned for 6 months for that offence instead like the story in the OP? Doesn't seem right.

The punishment for failing to provide is the same as you'd get for just being over the limit. If you are way over the limit it pays to fail to provide as the punishment will be lighter.

M

Caporegime
How does the 'Drunk In Charge' work on a Lorry Driver who is sleeping in his Cab, proper bunk in the back job, not a non-sleeper cabin who's Tacho has forced him into an overnight and there happens to be a Pub across the road... Or, say a proper Camper Van parked up for the night and the occupants are drinking/partying with no intention of driving, why is sleeping in a 'Car' any different?

I wonder this a lot myself, its a grey area imo.

Yes, you are in charge of the vehicle, I believe - but would not like to test the theory - that with an HGV, as long as you use the passenger door to enter & exit the vehicle and don't sit in the drivers seat, you are not technically incharge of the vehicle.

Given that I am off duty, and by law I cannot be in control of my vehicle as I am on my rest period (for a minimum of 9 to 11 hours) I don't think I can be viewed as in charge of the vehicle as such - I would appreciate Burnsey asking about with regard to this!

This is probably truckers tales talk, as I say, I don't get myself in the situation to test it, nor would I want to test it.

Is that in keeping with the spirit of the law?

Police act on the letter of the law not the spirit. That's for judges and magistrates to interpret. This is to ensure consistency.

I would say not the spirit, others may differ....

Last edited:
Soldato
Presumably if he had actually given the sample they would have charged him with being drunk in charge of a vehicle, otherwise, why ask him to provide a sample at all?

So he was doomed either way.

Man of Honour
Presumably if he had actually given the sample they would have charged him with being drunk in charge of a vehicle, otherwise, why ask him to provide a sample at all?

So he was doomed either way.

They wouldn't have necessarily charged him and even if they had, he would have had a good case for a defence.

So no, he wasn't 'doomed' at all.

Soldato
Feel sorry for him. Can totally understand why he didn't give a breath sample; as far as he was aware, he had done nothing wrong.

Lose-lose situation. Either arrested for providing a positive sample or arrested for failing to provide a sample.

Just another flaw in the legal system taken advantage of by an opportunistic copper. :(

Last edited:
Soldato
I wonder this a lot myself, its a grey area imo.

Yes, you are in charge of the vehicle, I believe - but would not like to test the theory - that with an HGV, as long as you use the passenger door to enter & exit the vehicle and don't sit in the drivers seat, you are not technically incharge of the vehicle.

Given that I am off duty, and by law I cannot be in control of my vehicle as I am on my rest period (for a minimum of 9 to 11 hours) I don't think I can be viewed as in charge of the vehicle as such - I would appreciate Burnsey asking about with regard to this!

Part of your "duty" while operating your HGV is that you have legally enforced rest periods therefore the law forces you to stop in locations where you may have to sleep/rest within the cab of your vehicle. The same is not true for car drivers as they are under no legal obligation to stop and "rest" after a certain time.

This is where the difference lies i.e. you cannot be held to break a law when another law places you in that position in the first place

Permabanned
Feel sorry for him. Can totally understand why he didn't give a breath sample; as far as he was aware, he had done nothing wrong.

Lose-lose situation. Either arrested for providing a positive sample or arrested for failing to provide a sample.

Just another flaw in the legal system taken advantage of by an opportunistic copper. :(

Do you honestly think he was planning on having breakfast and lunch in the car before sobering up in the afternoon and driving home?

Soldato
Do you honestly think he was planning on having breakfast and lunch in the car before sobering up in the afternoon and driving home?
Wait...

So you're saying it's OK to ban this guy from driving just because he could have broken the law in the morning?

Okay then. :)

Also people are forgetting he was "found asleep", not "found poised and ready to go for a drink drive".

Also, I was watching Road Wars last night and they stopped a bloke driving erratically. He blew 34 and the limit was 35 IIRC and they let him off on the spot. Now something is seriously wrong when a person merely sleeping in his car is awoken by a bunch of cops with no way out.

Last edited:
Soldato
lol you can try and spin what you just said, but you look a bit silly now. :D
Please clarify.
[TW]Fox;20547594 said:
Thats kinda the point really, no? It isn't a set of guidelines we may choose to follow is it?

Which arguably a gospel is ;)
I meant that there are flaws in the legal system. There are flaws in religion as well, but you know what I mean. ("Stop over analysing things")

Last edited:
Soldato
[TW]Fox;20547594 said:
no? It isn't a set of guidelines we may choose to follow is it?

Of course it's a choice. It just means that you'll land in trouble if caught. An example for you is speeding, a large portion of motorists have done this some time in their motoring life, yet they shouldn't be doing it, so therefore, not following the law.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom