Pacquiao Vs Marquez III Nov 12th MGM Vegas

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Wow what a result! Such a blatant fix! The promoter even made it so bait it was just for the money.

Gonna be interesting in the morning!

Soldato
Never seen a more telling reaction from two fighters at the end of the fight than here tonight, feel very sorry for Marquez.

Soldato
Bob Arum judged that fight, but having watched the after fight bits again I'm sure Bob Arum mouthed something like "don't worry I'm gonna bring the fight back to you again" to Marquez... corruption is strife in the boxing world.

Marquex won that fighter 8 - 4, Pacman was a no show. He had a bad night and seemed to have chocked. I'm sure both fighters will want to do it all again, Pacman is a peoples champ even he knows he lost the bout and will want to rectify this. Well done Marquez for beating Pacman.

Soldato
Having just watched that I am shocked... cannot believe that decision.

I'm a Pacman fan but even I have to admit he was outclassed tonight.. Marquez just seemed to know exactly what to do and when.. very good performance.

It was a great fight to watch... just wondering what the judges were watching?

Soldato
Interesting quote from the smoking section:

Floyd Mayweather Jr., who is another counter-puncher, now has enough fight footage from last night to work on a blueprint to take down Manny.

Might have a point.

Looking at the stats.. Manny landed 176 punches to Marquez's 138... Perhaps the fight was judged on aggression?

Associate
After watching the fight twice now i still believe that Manny won, however it does seem that Marquez had an answer for pretty much anything that Manny put to him.

I dont think Marquez was robbed by any means and it could have easily gone either way, had the decision gone the other way it would leave many people saying wtf, Manny won that and Marquez knows it.

Yes it wasnt a fantastic performance by Manny but i believe he did "just" enough to win, however a showdown with Floyd would be somewhat of a non event now, Floyd would take Manny out and thats not something i would have said 18 months- 2 years ago.

Associate
After watching the fight twice now i still believe that Manny won, however it does seem that Marquez had an answer for pretty much anything that Manny put to him.

I dont think Marquez was robbed by any means and it could have easily gone either way, had the decision gone the other way it would leave many people saying wtf, Manny won that and Marquez knows it.

Yes it wasnt a fantastic performance by Manny but i believe he did "just" enough to win, however a showdown with Floyd would be somewhat of a non event now, Floyd would take Manny out and thats not something i would have said 18 months- 2 years ago.

you really must have been watching a different fight than everyone else then. no one thought manny won this, none of the press, comentators or fans.

Permabanned
you really must have been watching a different fight than everyone else then. no one thought manny won this, none of the press, comentators or fans.

I thought Pac won it too.

Styles make fights.

Pac dominated Hatton and DLH through speed.
Mayweather could dominate Marquez through strength.

Soldato
I thought Pacquiao won also. I think the reason people are so excited over Marquez's performance was he did genuinely seem to challenge Pacquiao a few times and it's been a while since anyone has managed to do that, let alone a 38 year old fighter who has maybe seen one too many wars. However I thought Manny did look more solid overall, but it was interesting to see him actually coming under some pressure instead of just conducting another Pacquiao master class.

Soldato
Manny and Roach knew they'd lost it, look at their expressions when the MC announcaes Manny is still the champ... they don't know where to look. Uncle Bob saved Manny its disgusting. After this showing and his last I'm afraid to say FMJ will be able to beat Manny.

Associate
You've personally asked them all have you? Or are you just making a silly generalisation to support your views?

Clearly I haven't asked everyone and I wonder if you take everything that is written on these forums literally? But is it a silly generalisation? Not when all the major press, commentators and Pac man's own sparing partner thought he lost the fight.

Edit - just to own up here, I haven't read ALL the press, or asked ALL the commentators.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Joke of a decision, completely, yes he threw more punches..... well according to the stats, it didn't feel like it in the fight. He even threw more power punches, but for me Marquez's punches were simply better. It's like Hatton, he worked hard, and fast, but he was a tapper, so many worthless pointless waste of effort punches.

In a fight where punching is equal, same amounts and same quality, the aggressor should get the decision. When the punching is seriously better quality from one fighter, better accuracy, better power, doing more damage and defensively preventing any real danger then the guy who moves forwards shouldn't get the decision. Its several factors, but I've complained about that repeatedly in boxing for years...... punching volume has won fights for the past decade, including dozens of other fights where the decision went the wrong way.

To be fair, it would be unfair for Pacman to lose the fight IF those boxing stats are accurate, because that is the standard.
However that standard is crap, and that and LOADS of other fights have had rubbish decisions. Quality of punching should be first and foremost, then aggression, qualify of defense, and lastly, if theres no other way to distinguish it with everything being equal, whoever lands the most.

Marquez won on almost every count except volume of punching. Also while Pacman moved forward, Marquez wasn't overly defensively he didn't refuse to punch, this wasn't 500 punches one way and 150 the other way as is often the case, it was just counter puncher vs an offensive guy, they were both aggressive but in their own way.

Associate
This is what worries me if the Mayweather vs Pacquaio fight went ahead. We both know Mayweather is so much better but Mayweather doesn't throw the same volume of punches.

This is true, but he will throw better quality and harder punches than JMM. I think Floyds the bigger puncher, is just as quick and is the better boxer.. Plus his output actually isnt that bad, vs Mosely he threw 477 with a 44% hit as opposed to manny vs JMM (This time) at 578 punches with 30% hit (The difference being about 100 jabs - Floyd threw less, but still landed more anyway). Infact Floyd only threw 7 less power punches than manny.

I had the Floyd/Manny fight pretty close before, but styles make fights and I dont see how Manny can win now, especially if he performs like he did here and if there is any truth in Amir Kahns ramblings about their sparring sessions (Which i'm taking with a huge pinch of salt)..

Will still be a hell of a fight though, hopefully Manny will go for it rather than give JMM a rematch first (which I think would be good to have after)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well another thing is Pacman had such high stats due to his speed and Marquez being both old AND not being that fast nor having the best defence. Pacman will find it a LOT harder to actually hit Mayweather.

If the fight turned out the same but it was vs mayweather, while Pacman would have thrown 500 punches, he would have landed a very significant amount less punches.

Mayweather has a lazy LOOKING style, because the guy running in and throwing a big punch is simply more obvious than the guy who avoids that punch by an inch and throws a small punch inside, everyone in the ring can see the big punch and often only half the ring will see the inside punch. He is an immense counter puncher and brilliant defensively. If Pacman performed the same in this fight against Mayweather, I think Pacman would get destroyed.

Back
Top Bottom