just returned from occupylsx

Soldato
Seriously what was the point of those occupy things? isn't just an excuse to wear those guy fawkes masks?

In the case of the Newcastle one it's so that a bunch of immature kids, who know the square route of F.A. can make a part of Newcastle, a ****hole for a considerable amount of time. While having no effect on "fat cat bankers" or "greedy politicians", and having more effect on the Newcastle tourist industry, average normal TAX PAYING people wanting to go about their daily working lives, Northumbria polices' overtime budget, or people wanting to get a coffee from the Costa coffee. All while claiming to be "the 99%"... ummm no you're not.

*Waits for Permabanned to chime in*

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I'm pretty anti-capitalist* and I went up there on Sunday to find out what was going on. Yes, most of them look like professional protesters. I was also interested to hear their views but I wasn't by myself so didn't have as much time as I would have liked. It didn't appear to be all about capitalism. There was quite a lot of Wikileaks and anti-US war stuff postered up, so I suspect there are a number of groups involved here.

I was quite impressed by how organised it is though. Portaloos, bins, recycling and a central soup kitchen with what looked like solar power. Then there was an information tent, improvised bookshop, constant music on the go and a lecture marquee :D

*Anti-capitalist in the sense that I'm against the direction that the capitalism has taken in the west. It is far too in the direction of corporate-led capitalism to the point that the state has now lost control of it. While I recognise that pure state-led capitalism is very restrictive when it comes to innovation and growth, which can in itself be a bad thing, it does keep a lookout for the people. Corporate-led capitalism has no regard for social aspects and, left unchecked, will result in the exploitation of people, resources and environment. I'm fairly sure this is what the original motive of the protests were but, as with most things, they get a bit blurred after a while.

Soldato
I am dismissing the protests because they are not offering any real solutions not because of what or who they are. I am also dismissing them because they are such a tiny minority in the grand scale of things and see no real reason why their views should hold more sway just because they shout loader than others.

Why do they have to present a solution? Isn't it enough to be saying they think there's a problem with the status quo and that perhaps as a society we should be thinking about this?
Another good reason for not pushing solutions is people then get hung up on issues and details of those specific solutions rather than addressing the problems.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
They are nowhere near the church entrance. The steps and forecourt out the front are clear, as is the path that runs down the side. In my opinion, they are not obstructing the church in any way. They may have been at first, but they aren't now. I believe they are camping there because it's the closest they can camp to the city without breaking the city-specific laws.

Associate
I really do not understand this "99%" stuff?

What are they protesting? That they're too stupid to pick a career that has value, rather than "doing as you like" because it's your right?

It certainley is! Absolutely, I whole-heartedly agree.

Until you start blaming others for the problems you now face. Who gives a flying french-mans fancy who did it?!

Perhaps, they do not realise that there is no such thing as a quick fix - that if you want to fix the system you have to actually work the system itself - It's up to us to make it work. We can't all be PHD's - Who's going to fix your research equipment; Who's going to keep the infrastructure supported?

I started with a 'silver spoon' and ignored all oppertunities - failed most of my GCSEs, dropped out of college whilst doing A levels and then went and got an NVQ and now I am making more than enough money to stay alive, and could do even less hours and still live as I do at the moment. But, of course, I want more - so I'll go and protest, instead of working hard and earning the possesions I have; Oh wait, too late - Got them all already.

I NEED: food, shelter, water and love

Despite what everyone (minus 1%) says, there is PLENTY of money for this, even with a minimum wage job.

You WANT: internet, PCs, phones, flashy cars, flashy bikes, nights out, holidays (or 4 or 5) every year.

What the hell are you protesting for??!! Man the **** up, really look at yourself and what you NEED and WANT then go and get it! It's not difficult, just time consuming - If you want your comforts then go and work for it. Knowledge is useless until it is used - Did you all get degrees in protesting or something?

Boo freaking hoo! I go to the job centre website and see 600+ jobs, go to monster.co.uk etc and there are hundreds there. Start applying, get your life sorted and then work hard to ensure that one day the 1% become the 100%

Sorry :o couldn't stop myself....
You're the 99%? You're 100% the problem.

Soldato
Wait, what are these protesters actually protesting about? Heard such a range of stuff, some actually sounds sensible but most is just idealistic nonsense that, while a nice-ish idea, would never happen in the real world. And can't they find a more constructive way to protest rather than sit outside a church all day? They don't seem to be having any effect on anyone except slightly disrupting ordinary peoples lives. And what are there solutions to the problems? It's all very well saying you don't like <insert bad thing here> but how do you expect it to change when theres no well known and better alternative? Maybe i'm missing something but this all seems very pointless?

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Why do they have to present a solution? Isn't it enough to be saying they think there's a problem with the status quo and that perhaps as a society we should be thinking about this?
Another good reason for not pushing solutions is people then get hung up on issues and details of those specific solutions rather than addressing the problems.

Because it is very easy to say "Something is wrong" and very hard to say how to fix it. Human systems are flawed but unless you can offer something that is better than our current flawed system why should I listen? You cannot address a problem until you have a solution.

Soldato
can you explain how you feel it is moral to burden future generations with debt rather than living within our means now?

I don't know, ask my parents and grandparent's generation.

My generation doesn't stand a chance.

My future kid's generation are ****ed.

I don't even want to think about our grandkid's generation, although china, the USA and N. Korea will have taken over/flattened the planet by then anyway.

Associate
That is quite apparent from the rest of your rant, maybe you should have looked into it first? Although I guess it is easier to knock down a straw man instead.

:o Didn't realise they had a website.

It was nice of you to point out that I didn't know exactly what I was talking about (even though I already said that).

Oh! I just looked up what a straw man is. Perhaps if YOU knew what the 99% thing is, you'd realise my argument still applies. It's down to the people putting demand on the system for things they do not require (progress...) and people taking advantage of this - It's a vicious cycle and there are only two *sane* ways to stop it. Remove the system or Remove the demand. Unfortunately it takes hundreds of years for people to truly change (on a group level), but it only takes a second to destroy something that does not exist; We made money, we can destroy it and make something better in place - It's just a shame that the people who could do this ARE the 1%

You want to beat the system? Play to win and once you have change the rules - Job done. It worked for the IRA here in any case - We lost and their leaders sit as the 1% in this country.

I suppose, if the 99% made a big enough clog in the system, they might have some power, but not as it is.

All in all, unless someone can convince me otherwise, they're blowing smoke.

Oh! Apologies to Radox - I appear to have ignored your first post! Any question? Do you think it'll work?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
What did you do?

Well... We're Waiting!

At a guess it's the mere fact of being there and disrupting the Church business that prompts the remark rather than any particularly nefarious or salacious activity undertaken there. However I may be wrong and RadoX did in fact sacrifice a goat to Satan while indulging in an orgiastic event the likes of which would have caused even Caligula to blush - I suspect that might have made the papers though so I'm opting for the dull and prosaic truth I'm afraid.

Back
Top Bottom