Life's Too Short: New Ricky Gervais sitcom

Soldato
Watched 10 mins and didn't like it. As others have said it was David Brent in shorter form. Such a shame as it could have been really good. As much as I'm not a fan of Gervaise the actor, his, and Merchants, writing is usually very good.

Soldato
I thought it was funny. He's more like a mini Brent than a mini Gervais, for the little difference there is between the two. The scene with Liam Neeson was hilarious.

Associate
The funniest moment for me was the very end with Warwick stuck in the door.

The awkward comedy had dwindled in quality with every incarnation of Rickys sitcoms. Office was amazingly fresh. This just felt forced with Merch and Gervais appearing for the sake of it with their celebrity friends. Can we just focus on Warwick please

Soldato
+1

I loved Extras and The Office, but with this I felt like I'd seen it all before. He is a carbon copy of David Brent.

Having just caught this on iPlayer I agree.

It was funny in parts, the Neeson bit was funny but also pointless and random. could have been much better.

Soldato
Funniest line. Gervais: "You ARE always popping round yeah, I thought we'd made the buzzer high enough..." :D

Rest was a letdown sadly, but I'll still watch the series just for Gervais and Merchant. I don't know if anyone else here feels the same way, and I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, but if someone has a form of disability, in this case warwick davis being a dwarf, I don't find them funny, and that's simply because they are disabled. I don't really know why. Psychological I guess.

Associate
Just saw the first episode on iplayer and thought it was really funny. Warwick is well funny and the Liam Neeson scene was killing me. Funny how he keeps on going on about Willow, i loved that film when I was a kid.

Last edited:
Associate
Just saw the first episode on iplayer and thought it was really funny. Warwick is well funny and the Liam Neeson scene was killing me. Funny how he keeps on going on about Willow, i loved that film when I was a kid.

The Warwick in the documentary (vain, self centered) would always go on about Willow - how many people can say that George Lucus wrote a movie just for them?

And it was a cracking movie.

Watched the first episode last night and loved parts of it, particularly the Liam Neeson scene. Hopefully the parts with just Warwick will pick up.

Associate
Same, saw the first episode last night.

Some great bits, particuarly the Neeson cameo. Very good indeed!

Very office/brent, hopefully this doesnt become the staple as I think it has some really good potential.

Will keep watching for the mo...

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I'm finding it hit and miss, but the second episode was more hit. Johnny Depp was incredible ('do the noise again!') and the interview for the local news very funny indeed.

It's testament to Depp's skill as a character actor that when they started dissing Pirates of the Caribbean I suddenly thought 'Holy ***. Yeah, he's Jack Sparrow isn't he?'. One of the only actors where I remember the characters better than the actor him/herself.

Back
Top Bottom