Coffee makers

Soldato
No Russinating, don't do it!

Get a proper coffee maker, Gaggia Classic for example, not some rubbish that uses rubbish pods.

Siliconslave, Flibster and manveruppd (did you used to be uvaru?) will be along shortly to chastise you.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
ive been looking at the Gaggia classic and im very tempted. £185 delivered, but after doing some research it seems you need to spend another ~£10 on a low pressure basket and by the time youve bought a few shot glasses, milk jug, grinder, tamper and some beans your not going to get any change from ~£250 to get yourself kitted out
my flat mate doesnt drink coffee and i only have half a dozen cups a week so its a bit hard to justify :/
for the moment im going to carry on with my stove top pot but stop using pre ground coffee and make the switch to grinder & fresh beans

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Errr, £200 != £70 :p. I'm looking for a Mondeo, not a Porsche!

Fine , then get the Gaggia Cubika Plus for £90 from a popular electrical highstreet retailer.

£200 isn't the Porsche of the coffee machine game... Probably more the Ford Ka end of things. I'm going to be looking at a couple of machines soon that are £1500+ Even then, they're still not the high end machines.

Now go flip through this thread and see there's more options than a machine to make coffee. Aeropress, V60, Chemex, Eva Solo, French Press, Stove Top, Clever Dripper, Woodneck, Kalita Wave, Syphon.....

Last edited:
Soldato
I have to say I'd be dubious about watching my girlfriend unwrap an Aeropress for Christmas. Let's face it, it could easily be mistaken for something else :p

Seriously though, does your girlfriend like good coffee, or do you think she just wants to make frothy stuff? If she likes decent coffee then the best thing to buy her is a decent hand grinder (e.g. Hario Skerton ~£30) and an Aeropress or even a simple cafetiere or mocha pot. Buy her a bundle of fresh beans from Has Bean or similar and you will open her to a world of fantastic coffee.

Having said that if she isn't really 'into it' then you're probably wasting your time with all the above!

Soldato
I think my Aeropress does a good job, along with a Bodum Latteo Milk Frother you can do a pretty decent latte.

It does use up ground coffee at a prodigious rate though, I usually use three scoops to make a single (large) cup. Probably works out at something like 50p worth.

Soldato
OP
I think my Aeropress does a good job, along with a Bodum Latteo Milk Frother you can do a pretty decent latte.

It does use up ground coffee at a prodigious rate though, I usually use three scoops to make a single (large) cup. Probably works out at something like 50p worth.

This seems like more up my street. My girlfriend isn't "into" coffee, she just likes the occasional latte and cappuccino.

It's a crazy world we live in when £1,500 is a justifiable amount to spend on a coffee machine.

And indeed, nice use of prodigious!

Back
Top Bottom