Recommended upgrade?

Associate
My PC is starting to get a bit dated now (specs in sig) and I'm considering making a few small upgrades. I'm really looking forward to playing Skyrim as soon as uni holidays start and I know I could probably play it on reasonable settings with my current rig, but it would be nice to turn the settings right up :)

However, another reason for wanting to upgrade is when I first built it, I didn't really take noise into consideration and it can be pretty loud even on idle.

What is most desperate to upgrade on my system to improve performance? I was thinking a new graphics card, then CPU cooler for the noise and probably some new quieter case fans too, though I'm open to suggestions on where I'm best to spend my money. For example, is the processor more of a bottleneck than the GPU?

Budget is pretty low, I don't want to spend loads on this, maybe around £150 all included if it's thought I need a new GPU.

Thanks

edit: should mention it's in an Antec 300 case, and the current tower was a pretty tight fit already so I don't have loads of room if it's a huge tower

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It's a Corsair 650W, so should be plenty of headroom for an upgrade. How noisy will a 6870 be? I was considering 6850 just for the slight saving and the hope that it might be quite quiet?

Caporegime
Its the design of the cooler that affects the noise and as ASUS/MSI etc all use different designs its hard to tell how noisy one is over the other without maybe looking at video reviews where they put the camera microphone close to it switched on, 3Dgameman is good for this.

but you are right about your PSU, more than enough.

Soldato
Associate
OP
Thanks for all the quick replies, that 6870 looks great. I guess I've got a decision to make between performance and noise but I think the lower noise will probably win out. 3Dgameman is a great review site too, hadn't heard of that before.

Any recommendations on the CPU cooler (and case fans)? I'm pretty sure that's currently the noisiest thing in my system and I always get a bit confused by the amount of choices here.

Back
Top Bottom