Official page for the Asus VG278H now online.

Associate
Thats normal m8 i got that on mine, what im refering to is the main bezel just above that. I was kind of hoping the monitor would be blur free at 120htz, street fighter 4 in 3d is astounding tho. I have seen zero ghosting and funny enough games are blur free in 3d, i guess that has something to do with active shutter glasses

In fact i can see the same scratches on your bezel too, i guess pcm2 is correct

Yeah seems normal after i put a desklamp up to it and could see it all around the monitor and some marks on the frame which aint really noticable under normal light conditions.
Then compared it to pictures from http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...ws/47332-nvidia-3d-vision-2-kit-review-3.html and you see the same sort of thing.

Also the flash on the camera did make that pic seem worst then it is. But i can still notice it but its not a big deal i guess.

Been using the monitor around a week now and im pretty happy with it.
Was nice to play some smooth action on bf3 which i didnt get on my 2560 x 1600 dell. Even at 1920 x 1080p. Also stereoscopic 3d is great. Tested batman arkham asylum in 3d and looks amazing :)

Few things that did bother me is i found the standard mode to have to much gamma. kinda greyish and not so colourful. somthink that wasnt a issue when i had the Asus VG236HE and found standard mode the best mode to calabrate.
While gamemode was oversaturated but easy to fix. But on this monitor gamemode is 100% same as night view mode. a lot of gamma.

That only leaves scenery mode and theater mode if want colourful picture without gamma for desktop use or gaming on daylight maps for me

For desktop im using

Scenery mode
Brightness 10
contrast 65
colour temp warm

Stole the last 3 from clippa and work good for me.

Apart from a few issues im quite happy with it. Wanted a fast responive monitor for fps games on a 27inch and thats what i got. 3d being great was a nice bonus.

Associate
My standard mode has no gamma issues. Colours were perfect at factory settings. Are you sure you're not some different Splendid setting or whatever that thing is called?

The thing that bugs me is that the display gets slightly darker in 3D mode (without glasses) and not brighter. It's brightest in standard mode. Is this normal? I thought it was meant to get darker? ... On the upside it gets no darker when I put the glasses on.

Soldato
My standard mode has no gamma issues. Colours were perfect at factory settings. Are you sure you're not some different Splendid setting...

I assume by 'perfect' you mean you find them pleasing to your eyes. Brit XR's comments regarding gamma are very much inline with reviews where this has been measured as 1.9 central average with a colorimeter which is some way short of the desired target. This makes colours looks lighter and less saturated than they should be and is something other users have also reported and have resorted to correcting by way of ICC profliling or other software-based calibration. As I've said elsewhere this comes at the expense of contrast and depending on the severity of adjustment colour range (from 1.9 to 2.2 is quite significant) and many games will ignore or misinterpret ICC profiles. It would be interesting to know how the actual effect of the different presets and other adjustments on gamma, as hardware adjustment is preferable.

Associate
Ok so i recieved this monitor yesterday and I've been having a few problems getting it set up right, so am in need of a little bit of help.

After about an hour of not being able to get the emitter to turn on, I seem to have fixed it by re-installing the drivers and restarting a few times.

However, the problem I seem to be having is with the 120hz. Whenever I set the monitor to 120hz, both in Nvidia panel and on windows, the monitor goes into 3d mode, making it pretty dark and reducing the quality of games. Is this normal? I'm pretty new to high end monitors so I'm not entirely sure if it should be doing this or if I'm doing something wrong?

So is there a way of setting the monitor to 120hz without it going into 3d mode, so i can have it displaying much brighter, or is this just standard?

Thanks for the help

Associate
My standard mode has no gamma issues. Colours were perfect at factory settings. Are you sure you're not some different Splendid setting or whatever that thing is called?

The thing that bugs me is that the display gets slightly darker in 3D mode (without glasses) and not brighter. It's brightest in standard mode. Is this normal? I thought it was meant to get darker? ... On the upside it gets no darker when I put the glasses on.

All i did was lower the brightness to 10 and contrast to 65 as it was to bright.
but seems theres to much gamma then not enough. Or maybe its the low saturation which you cant control on standard thats giving it that greyish affect. Looks like its set to 30 from 50.

But to me looks like gamma issue aswell as not enough saturation. Try theater mode or scenery setup with your settings or

Theater mode
Brightness 10
contrast 65
colour temp normal

To me this looks a lot better. Better colours. No gamma problems. Clear whites etc.

Ok so i recieved this monitor yesterday and I've been having a few problems getting it set up right, so am in need of a little bit of help.

After about an hour of not being able to get the emitter to turn on, I seem to have fixed it by re-installing the drivers and restarting a few times.

However, the problem I seem to be having is with the 120hz. Whenever I set the monitor to 120hz, both in Nvidia panel and on windows, the monitor goes into 3d mode, making it pretty dark and reducing the quality of games. Is this normal? I'm pretty new to high end monitors so I'm not entirely sure if it should be doing this or if I'm doing something wrong?

So is there a way of setting the monitor to 120hz without it going into 3d mode, so i can have it displaying much brighter, or is this just standard?

Thanks for the help

Go to nvidia control panel. Then to Stereoscopic 3D and untick the Enable stereoscopic 3D. Also before you untick. Go to (select when the display is in 3D mode and select. (only while 3d programs run)

Another quick way to enable and disable is go to start menu and search
Disable 3D vison
Enable 3D vision.

And right click on them and go to (send to > desktop to create a shortcut)

Soldato
@ BritXR.

See my reply above. The issue is related to the gamma value being too low. This affects the saturation of the colours. Don't be confused with the gamma sliders and 'high' vs. 'low' gamma. A high gamma value gives more deeply saturated and 'rich' colours whereas a low gamma value gives you a washed out image. The gamma slider on games etc. really just washes out the image as you raise it but this isn't related to the actual measured gamma value. Very good to hear the Theatre Mode works well for you though :).

Associate
a question for you guys. As debating whether to get this or to replace my regular LG 50" TV (for convenience of family being able to benefit)

Ignoring the fact that this monitor is 120hz......how does the picture compare to the best of plasma tvs for bluray movies in 3d?

I've read sites that say LCD is very much inferior to plasmas when it comes to 3d (presumably cos of the viewing angles and prob a load of other technical reasons)....but is this the case with LCD monitors too?

Whilst gaming in 3d sounds v good, I suspect, because of the limited time I have, that most of the time movies would be watched (the offputting thing with the TV solution being my AVR would also need replacing too to support 3d and existing ones not that old)

Soldato
The contrast, colour reproduction (gamut and colour intensity) and responsiveness during low frame rate movie action is superior on a good modern plasma TV. In 3D operating modes modern plasmas tend to make colours extremely bright and intense (and blacks remain deep) so that the image is still quite lively after the "dulling" of the shutter glasses. The 3D Vision 2 system has the "Lightboost" technology to help let more light through the shutters but you still get dulling after would appear an already dull image compared to a plasma (especially at the native. 1.9 gamma of the monitor). Modern plasmas are also exceptionally respnsive with low levels of trailing. During movie content the frame rate is massively reduced and on an LCD you tend to get a "juddering" which plasmas don't suffer from. This can be reduced by frame interpolation technology but this is something 3D TVs use rather than 3D monitors and the effect can be a bit odd (dubbed the 'soap opera effect'). In my honest and experienced opinion you would probably not find the experience as good as on a good plasma but there are obviously other practicalities to consider (viewing distance and other uses for example). To get anything better in PC monitor form you'll have to wait for autostereoscopic displays or OLEDs most likely.

Having said all of this I am not really a fan of any current 3D technology. I bet you will get people who own 3D plasma TVs and this ASUS monitor who will tell you the experience is great on the ASUS. :)

Last edited:
Associate
The contrast, colour reproduction (gamut and colour intensity) and responsiveness during low frame rate movie action is superior on a good modern plasma TV. In 3D operating modes modern plasmas tend to make colours extremely bright and intense (and blacks remain deep) so that the image is still quite lively after the "dulling" of the shutter glasses. The 3D Vision 2 system has the "Lightboost" technology to help let more light through the shutters but you still get dulling after would appear an already dull image compared to a plasma (especially at the native. 1.9 gamma of the monitor). Modern plasmas are also exceptionally respnsive with low levels of trailing. During movie content the frame rate is massively reduced and on an LCD you tend to get a "juddering" which plasmas don't suffer from. This can be reduced by frame interpolation technology but this is something 3D TVs use rather than 3D monitors and the effect can be a bit odd (dubbed the 'soap opera effect'). In my honest and experienced opinion you would probably not find the experience as good as on a good plasma but there are obviously other practicalities to consider (viewing distance and other uses for example). To get anything better in PC monitor form you'll have to wait for autostereoscopic displays or OLEDs most likely.

Having said all of this I am not really a fan of any current 3D technology. I bet you will get people who own 3D plasma TVs and this ASUS monitor who will tell you the experience is great on the ASUS. :)

I'd be one of those. :)

I was very sceptical of 3D and am not too impressed with the current cinema and TV solutions.

I've been very impressed playing Skyrim on the ASUS. I have experienced minimal ghosting and for me anyway, there is only a very small loss of brightness in 3D. Once you get the depth and convergance how you like it, the effect is very immersive.

There are some small issues and quirks that prevent it from being a must have, but overall it has improved my gaming experience. As a first time user of a 120hz monitor as well, it's been a bit of a revelation.

Someone Also has ReceIved new stock of these for A rather spiffing 524 inc vat.

Last edited:
Associate
@ BritXR.

See my reply above. The issue is related to the gamma value being too low. This affects the saturation of the colours. Don't be confused with the gamma sliders and 'high' vs. 'low' gamma. A high gamma value gives more deeply saturated and 'rich' colours whereas a low gamma value gives you a washed out image. The gamma slider on games etc. really just washes out the image as you raise it but this isn't related to the actual measured gamma value. Very good to hear the Theatre Mode works well for you though :).

So is monitor gamma different to that on the nvidia control panel? Because if i lower it from there on theater mode i get darker picture and colours but they still have saturation. While making it higher makes the colours look more grayish. Also did a test where i lowered satuation from my monitor osd on theater mode and i get similar affect with wished out colours and being greyish which is why i though standard mode either had to much gamma. or to low saturating which makes it appear theres to much gamma.

But im no expert :)

Also while i use threater mode for desktop. Its not so good for viewing dark areas in games. details on dark objects are harder to see but slightly more visable on standard mode

But threater mode good for my needs and i just switch to game mode on games/maps with dark areas.
Thinking of buying a calibration tool sometime aswell to get the best out of it

Soldato
So is monitor gamma different to that on the nvidia control panel?

Confusingly so.

Thinking of buying a calibration tool sometime aswell to get the best out of it

Remember what I've said in previous posts regarding ICC profiles being misread or outright ignored by games and also the crushing of colours and gradation issues if the changes made are too far from the monitor's native comfort zone. It is certainly best to try to set things on the hardware side, particularly for games. One thing you will find some colorimeters useful for in any application is assisting in the fine-tuning of the monitor colour balance and also reporting to you the actual monitor gamma of the various settings you try. :)

Associate
Confusingly so.

Ah ok. Never knew that, And dout im the only one :p

Remember what I've said in previous posts regarding ICC profiles being misread or outright ignored by games and also the crushing of colours and gradation issues if the changes made are too far from the monitor's native comfort zone. It is certainly best to try to set things on the hardware side, particularly for games. One thing you will find some colorimeters useful for in any application is assisting in the fine-tuning of the monitor colour balance and also reporting to you the actual monitor gamma of the various settings you try. :)

Was looking at either the datacolour spyder 3 elite which has a lot of advance options or the X-Rite i1 Display Pro. Also came across a Spyder3 Express for £55 but doesnt have much advance options.
If it doesnt work out i could always return it under DSR or sell it

Soldato
The Spyder3 Elite is particularly good for setting up the monitor itself nicely and is certainly worth a punt even if you don't want to make use of the ICC profiling functionality.

Associate
Is anybody else having problems watching 3d movies on the nvidea website? they are a sick inducing mess. I cant work out how to make them clear, games are fantastic with no issues apart from the obvious way pointers and such making your eyes go funny but im getting terrible double image with the videos.

Associate
I found the 3D wasnt kicking in when trying to watch some 3D movie clips and wasnt sure why. Could be a bug with the website. I am not sure how it triggers the 3D mode as this seems to be automatic.

Associate
I kept reading how IPS was totally fine for gaming so against my better judgement decided to try one for myself.
No, they're not fine, they're atrocious.

I've got to ask, why do you think IPS monitors are atrocious for gaming? I thought they gave superior picture quality compared to TN for example?

Soldato
Could an owner please clarify for me, how they feel about web browsing and general desktop use (MS offfice etc) at this monitors native resolution?

Some people has mentioned it's 'too blocky'. I want to use this for games, I don't want to be put off when doing more general things.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom