Motherboard will not recognise any hard drive

Associate
I bought a new hard drive to replace the old IDE drive that i have been using ever since my SATA drive packed in a few months ago. When i installed the drive into the system it would not recognise the new drive so i posted on this forum and was advised that it could be that i need to change my bios settings from AHCI mode or IDE to the reverse.

In my case it was set to IDE which i changed to AHCI. That didn't work so i then changed the settings back and installed the old drive back in but now my motherboard refuses to recognise it. I also tried loading the motherboards default setting and that hasn't helped either.

I really have no idea what to do now and really need my computer back up and running as i need it for my university work. Any and all help will be greatly apreciated

Motherboard: http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/Crosshair_III_Formula/

Caporegime
Just so im perfectly clear on the situation.

This is a new harddrive you are trying to install the OS onto and the BIOS isnt seeing it?

Or

Its an additional harddrive and you cant see it in "My Computer"?

Associate
OP
I took out the old drive and was going to install an OS on to the new drive but it wont show up in the bios then i tried changing the bios settings i mentioned.

Now both drives will not show up in the bios at all. All my bios shows is my CD drive

Associate
OP
I've tried loading the BIOS defaults, tried all my SATA cables and just by looking at the power connections i cant see anything wrong with them.

I do have a new PSU that came a few days after the HDD that i haven't bothered to install yet because of whats been going on but i'll install that tomorrow when i have the time and report back. Hopefully with good news

Associate
Right put your settings back to IDE and put the original drive back in, I take it this still has an OS on it. Also put the new drive in.

Boot into windows then go run and put diskmgmt.msc then press enter.

look for your new drive, if its not there at all then it may be faulty.

Associate
OP
marmalade and Ultim8 my board isn't even registering the old drive that worked before i changed the settings

I fear it may just be a faulty board now. I just flashed the bios today and that hasn't helped at all.

The only other thing i have yet to try is wiping the CMOS. I had a quick attempt at removing the battery to do that but it wouldn't budge.

Is there another way i can clear the CMOS?

Soldato
Try the clrcmos button, switch off and unplug the pc remove the kettle lead etc. press the button then plug in the lead and switch on the pc

that's the correct way right?

Back
Top Bottom