• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ivy 1155 will be no faster than SB?

Caporegime
Wait, what, it's running at 2.4GHz... that's a slower clockspeed than even the i5-2300!

You've got to assume they're comparing clock for clock and they're saying IPC is the same.

Given it's just an ES, and it's still quite a few months off, I wouldn't be coming out with any "No faster than SB statements"
IPC wise, probably only a few percent, but you'd hope for higher clocks etc.

Soldato
Haven't read the full article as I'm on my phone, but I think it's too early to say what the performance difference will be. Surely Intel haven't spent millions on investing in the tri-gate whatevers for a minimal performance increase? :p

Don
You've got to assume they're comparing clock for clock and they're saying IPC is the same.

Given it's just an ES, and it's still quite a few months off, I wouldn't be coming out with any "No faster than SB statements"
Well, they're saying it's no faster than SB, but of course not, it's running at a lower clock speed than even the base model i5. All they've done is a RAM bandwidth benchmark as well it seems which is hardly representative of overall CPU speed.

Having a look at some of the other screenies, it does 3.98 in Cinebench at 2.4GHz, is that any good?

Edit:
http://www.coolaler.com.tw/coolalercbb/ivybridge/2G/12.gif

Associate
OP
True. The source who provided the ES is pretty reliable, and is well known to provide early ES's on numerous other CPU chips in the past.

Overclocking is one aspect which could be better due to running cooler, but I guess there is nothing concrete to base anything evidential on at this stage.

I would hope that a die shrink, stronger onboard architecture and tri-gate goodness will equate to better performance, but looking at Intels current line up, coupled with lack of competition makes me wonder!

Associate
The original article at coolaler (http://forum.coolaler.com/showthread.php?t=278192 has other benchmarks on page 4. It does look to me like it performs a little better overall than other chips clocked to the same speed, so I expect silicon produced in 5 months (when the release is currently expected) to be better than what we have now for an equivalent speed and core count.

Compared to an SB-E underclocked to 2.0 GHz (with 8 threads used in some tests and 12 in others), I would say that the IB holds it's own pretty well.

Caporegime
AFAIK Ivy will have FMA3 which will bump performance in various encoding apps and a few other things, but its not intended to do much more than replace Sandybridge, its a tick, or a tock, its 95% just a shrink of Sandy.

Think about it, you own the fab, and the time and pay the workers the same, wafer costs are roughly the same, do you make a wafer of 236mm2(or 216mm2, too many cores to keep track of the size exactly) or a wafer of, what I'm guessing will be around 150-160mm2 Ivy bridge, and get around 40% more cpu's off a wafer... all of which you can sell for the same cost........ ;)

Profits, a shrink makes more profit and the next tick, or tock to Haswell, after they've established a known architecture on 22nm, will be the big performance increase architecture.

Ivy is already fairly well known, its aiming for 5% IPC increase, and 5% higher clocks for 10% faster overall, why are we speculating, Intel have talked about it, they've officially told people what it will be. Assuming they hit targets for clock speeds which should be known at this point, I wouldn't expect them to miss any targets significantly.

77W, quad core, likely 3.5-3.6Ghz launching clock speed, Turbo I think unknown. its not half the size because the GPU is roughly going up 50-60% in size IIRC.

In terms of early ES benchmarks, impossible to know, if cache is designed to operate at X frequency it might suck at lower clock speeds, it might sync up and simply work better at the right frequency, think that 5% you can gain, sometimes more, by overclock a Phenom and also overclocking the northbridge, it can "unlock" performance. Intel also have a little habit of disabling features on ES Cpu's.

IF most of the 5% CPU IPC increase comes from FMA and other new instructions, you'll really only see that 5% increase some of the time.

The only question is, what price point it comes in at, do Intel make themselves more money, or bring a cheaper quad and cheaper HT enabled quad, say £120-£130 for the 3500k and £200 for a 3600k.

I wouldn't wait for Ivy over Sandy, at all, nor would Sandy or Ivy be a good upgrade from basically anything i5/i7 based of any generation, more than enough juice till Haswell(mid 2013 likely).

Permabanned
I think its quite obvious what Intel are doing here.

They dont want IB to cannibalise SB sales, so they are initially going to be releasing IB as low end crappy chips.

proper 2500k replacements probably wont be out until the end of 2012.

tbh

tbh

Associate
We've known for a long while now that Ivy Bridge is all about increasing integrated GPU performance whilst reducing TDP and manufacturing costs for Intel (as well as providing them with experience with the 22nm process), if it delivers on all those fronts then it will be a success (especially in the laptop market).

Any minor performance gains will just be a bonus.

Soldato

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18346127

It looks some models might end up with the same clockspeeds and others with a bump. If the IPC improvements in the first post are consistent with production models,it might indicate a very small increase in overall CPU performance.

Basically,it looks most of the effort Intel have put in Ivy Bridge ATM is to improve the IGP and the memory controller. Of course it should have better power consumption in theory than the previous generation.

Last edited:
Associate
Some of the best early leaks come from Chinese sites. I always use chrome for them (I have chrome set up for browsing tech sites and info, and FF for everything else), they can provide so much good info.

Of course, you can also use google translate from within Firefox or IE, they just don't have it built in :)

Soldato
whether people like it or not, Intel can only get a processor to do so many instructions/cycle before its almost impossible to get any more performance out of it, like the guys over at AMD said with the design of their Bulldozer processor, there is only so far instructions/cycle can get you before you hit a brick wall. anyone who expects an appreciable improvement over Sandy Bridge might be expecting too much to be fair. what will Ivy Bridge bring? lower power consumption, better frequencies (though wouldn't expect huge increase) and perhaps a slight instruction/cycle increase. ;)

Back
Top Bottom