Rad depths?

Soldato
if you are confined to using a thin double rad, you might as well stick with air.
Watercooling is going to be no better and might be louder to acheive the same temp!

If it's just a gpu loop, it's usually worth it (on noise & temp grounds), but for a SB chip there no real point apart from bling or 'wanted to'

Have a search for watercooling builds with your case - you may find with a little bit of dremel work you can fit a thick rad.
Then you'll see a differance in noise/temps (if it's worth the extra £100 over a quality air cooler is down to you)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well Ive got the Corsair Carbide 500R, which is fairly new and every review/ unboxing/ WC related thread bangs on about it being designed for the H100.
I took a dremel to my last case, which didnt turn out the best, so Im not confident at all doing it to this.

It is mainly the "wanted to" factor more than anything else, Im happy with my temps (close to noctua temps with a cooler at third the price).

GPU first me thinks :p

Soldato
You could remove both HDD cages and mount a 240 of any thickness in the front of the case.

If I can fund it I might try an ivy build (1155) using my own custom loop in a 500R which would involve a 240 in the top and front, but its still early days on the design stage, would be interested to see how a custom loop turns out in someone else's 500R first :)

Associate
OP
You could remove both HDD cages and mount a 240 of any thickness in the front of the case.

If I can fund it I might try an ivy build (1155) using my own custom loop in a 500R which would involve a 240 in the top and front, but its still early days on the design stage, would be interested to see how a custom loop turns out in someone else's 500R first :)

Youll end up loosing the bottom drive bay unless you find one with small ends or mount it slightly diagonally.

Soldato
Ahh I didn't think about what clearance there would be up by the 5.25" bays at the front, I know at the bottom of the front 2 120mm brackets has around an extra 20mm or so to play with.

From first glance it seems as if something along the lines of the black ice GT 240 would fit, but I couldn't comment any further until I get back home to my machine :)

Associate
also look at the magicool stuff. I choose that over blackice as blackice need high pressure fans compared to the magicool.

Here is the spec of the 240mm.
Dimensions (LxWxH): 323x146x29mm

I have a 240mm in my TJ07 at the top of the case which cools my EVGA X58 Class full chipset and its been great.

Back
Top Bottom