Onkyo or Yamaha

Soldato
But I'm not advising him to spend £210 am I?? More like £21.

You lot are all coming in here recommending people spend £300 on kits with biscuit tin speakers and a crappy boom box and you're having a go at me? Madness I thee.

Doesn't matter, you're suggesting that there's no difference in quality between the crap thing you posted, and a £300 Onkyo or Yamaha kit. There is, and it's a massive one.

I genuinely think you must just have the wrong idea about the Onkyo all-in-one HTS kits, because they always get extremely positive reviews and even the 'experts' are very keen on them for what they are. They're nothing like what you've said they are. The Samsung, LG, Panasonic etc units are, but they're designed for the people who just go into Comet and buy the one that will match their TV unit or something.

Soldato
Doesn't matter, you're suggesting that there's no difference in quality between the crap thing you posted, and a £300 Onkyo or Yamaha kit. There is, and it's a massive one..
How can you say the cost doesn't matter?? Of course they will be better but that's over 10x times more in cost than the All-In-One I linked to. If cost doesn't matter then when do you draw the line? Might aswell spend £3k, the difference will be massive....
I genuinely think you must just have the wrong idea about the Onkyo all-in-one HTS kits, because they always get extremely positive reviews and even the 'experts' are very keen on them for what they are. They're nothing like what you've said they are. The Samsung, LG, Panasonic etc units are, but they're designed for the people who just go into Comet and buy the one that will match their TV unit or something.
The clue is there "for what they are" so basically they sound very good for little biscuit tins and boom box.

All I'm saying is they just won't cut the mustard for someone looking for a really good home cinema experience. I've always been of the mind to buy something upto the job or don't bother at all, buy cheap buy twice. There's nothing worse than some el cheapo box booming away, it grates on the ears and becomes tiring to listen to... resulting in the thing just being turned down or even off altogether. If you're not that bothered about the quality then save your pennies and just get a 2nd hand kit for peanuts.

Soldato
How can you say the cost doesn't matter?? Of course they will be better but that's over 10x times more in cost than the All-In-One I linked to. If cost doesn't matter then when do you draw the line? Might aswell spend £3k, the difference will be massive....

He has a £300 budget, so a £20 recommendation is certainly irrelevant.

All I'm saying is they just won't cut the mustard for someone looking for a really good home cinema experience. I've always been of the mind to buy something upto the job or don't bother at all, buy cheap buy twice. There's nothing worse than some el cheapo box booming away, it grates on the ears and becomes tiring to listen to... resulting in the thing just being turned down or even off altogether. If you're not that bothered about the quality then save your pennies and just get a 2nd hand kit for peanuts.

Where are you getting this idea that they're 'biscuit tins and a boom box'? I've seen you recommend Onkyo receivers on here before, so which is it? Either they make crap, or they don't.

You'd be absolutely right if you were just referring to the normal consumer audio kits from the normal brands - I've owned one myself so I've experienced how poor they are - but the Onkyo kits are completely different. You get a proper receiver with loads of connectivity, and some decent speakers that you can upgrade/replace later if desired.

I'm never one to throw accusations around usually but I really am convinced you're trolling, you're showing all the signs at least. That so many people evidently disagree with you should serve as some sort of indication that you're mistaken.

Soldato
Why do people come on forums and then not bother reading posts properly... Yet I'm "trolling"? Is that what people of the hard of thinking come up with when they can't quite get their head around a differing opinion?

What is so bad about telling someone not to buy something and to save their cash? Why is it so hard to understand the logic in that? :confused:

Soldato
It's not just a case of a difference of opinion though, you're also spreading misinformation. Onkyo stuff is very highly regarded and it's pretty good value for money too, considering what you get from Samsung, LG et al. You don't seem able to actually back up your claims with anything.

Soldato
It's not just a case of a difference of opinion though, you're also spreading misinformation. Onkyo stuff is very highly regarded and it's pretty good value for money too, considering what you get from Samsung, LG et al. You don't seem able to actually back up your claims with anything.
I have come to the conclusion that you are in fact just talking to yourself as you've obviously not listened to a word I've said. You seem to have got in your head I've said Onkyo receivers are rubbish, no idea where from and nor do I care tbh.

Boring thread has run it's course me thinks...

Soldato
I have come to the conclusion that you are in fact just talking to yourself as you've obviously not listened to a word I've said. You seem to have got in your head I've said Onkyo receivers are rubbish, no idea where from and nor do I care tbh.

Boring thread has run it's course me thinks...

So what exactly were you saying then, as evidently I'm not the only person who got the wrong impression.

Soldato
Sorry for the thread bump but I have just been looking on the Richer Sounds site and the Onkyo TX NR509 has appeared on their Hottest Deals section.

Was wondering how well this would work paired up to a PS3? I haven't decided on speakers yet, all I know is that I would like a decent 5.1 setup :)

Any help/alternative would be very much appreciated, haven't got a budget as such as this is going to be a Christmas present to myself and the fiancee, but obviously in the current climate I can't go spending silly money.

Thanks again

Associate
I have a Onkyo-608.....

I compared this with a Yamaha in best buy.. There sound rooms are very good. I went for the onkyo as the movies I took with me to play sounded better through the Jamo speakers I already had.

I would 100% say go and listen to them.

Soldato
Thanks for the input :).

I popped into Richer Sounds in Kingston and spoke to a guy in there about the Onkyo 509 and the Sony 820, also asked about a good 5.1 setup to pair with it. As is the case in the brief round up thread in this section, the guy said that the Yamaha NSP40 speakers are very good for the price.

I am going to pop in there tomorrow afternoon to see what they're like first hand in their sound room and see what it is like :)

Man of Honour
Thanks for the input :).

I popped into Richer Sounds in Kingston and spoke to a guy in there about the Onkyo 509 and the Sony 820, also asked about a good 5.1 setup to pair with it. As is the case in the brief round up thread in this section, the guy said that the Yamaha NSP40 speakers are very good for the price.

I am going to pop in there tomorrow afternoon to see what they're like first hand in their sound room and see what it is like :)

The thing that worried me most about the Yamaha NSP40's was the weight of them. There wasn't any. Made me worry about the build quality.

Was more interested in the Tannoy SFX5.1's instead. Heard a lot of very good things about them.

In the end, got a stonking package deal of a 509 with a set of HT648 Onkyo speakers from a local place. They're still not exactly chunky, but they feel significantly more solid than the Yamaha's. Ended up paying under £350 for the set. If I don't get on with them, I can sell them on for a profit and get something else instead.

Will get it setup next week sometime, need to make some new cables up. Need a reel or 2 of cat5e. ;) I'm a big fan of FFRC cables.

Associate
Sorry for jumping in - is "Onkyo TX-NR509 AV Receiver plus 5.1 Speaker System" worth nabbing for £279.99?

I've been pondering a setup for sometime now but have no knowledge at all.

Associate
Depends if you have speakers already? If not then yes and find a set of speakers to match your taste, if you could stretch to the 609 that's where I would put my money atm...

Associate
Depends if you have speakers already? If not then yes and find a set of speakers to match your taste, if you could stretch to the 609 that's where I would put my money atm...

If that post is aimed at me, the above comes with speakers too - although I'm not sure what they are specifically :)

Associate
IM GOING for ONKYO

Decided and have ordered the Tx-nr509
and boston accoustics xs 5.1 all for £579

Nice one, those speakers are supposed to be pretty good too :)

Poor bloke, by the time i finished reading the thread with 80% of it arguing, he had made his decision ! lol

Back
Top Bottom