Advice for DIY Router

Associate
Ok after building myself a decent little freenas box and seeing it outperforms anything you can buy I want to play with making my own router.

I want it too also deal with the wireless.

Can anyone give me some advice on hardware but more importantly which software. I cant find a good place to compare but so far smoothwall looks good.

Also important info is that Im not a business or anything critical, I just do this for fun at home to learn. I want to have more control over my home network and see whats going on around the house.

Associate
I'd suggest pfSense for this. Its superb.

My only note of caution would be to take care with the hardware you want to use, pfSense is based on BSD and is a little more fussy about things like driver support and so on. Their website and documentation wiki are very good however.

Soldato
I use a Debian VM with two NICs for my home router/internet gateway, one to an ADSL modem and the other to the internal LAN It uses iptables for NAT/firewall and DNSMasq for dns forwarding and DHCP.

Dark Stat is also a nice web app to show you network loads and various statistics :)

Associate
Be sure to check out the Mikrotik Routerboards as well - whilst not completely self-build, they're very capable and very much hands-on.

The soon-available RB751 handles the wireless as well, in a very compact little box.

(I currently use an Alix 2D13 running M0n0wall, which is excellent, but plan to switch back to an RB750 shortly - if you really want a DIY router, the Alix boards are stunning, if a little pricy)

Soldato
thanks sidethink I'll look into pfSense, out of interest why do you rate it vs say smoothwall?

PFsense is more user friendly and more functionality.

Though if its just for home use its probably overkill once you factor in the hardware needed (Virtualisation aside) a dd-wrt router will be much better suited while still providing plenty of configuration options.

Associate
PFsense is more user friendly and more functionality.

Though if its just for home use its probably overkill once you factor in the hardware needed (Virtualisation aside) a dd-wrt router will be much better suited while still providing plenty of configuration options.

Lizardking hits the nail on the head.

I think pfSense is a little more keenly updated and supported than Smoothwall (although that wasnt always the case) but Smoothie is still an excellent product.

BSD forms the core of many dedicated firewall/router appliances since it has some inherent advantages against other OS's in that regard. Its general reputation is for ultra security and ultra stability, if configured correctly.

Again, I wouldnt be overtly negative about the other options, instead I would just reach for the generally best regarded tool for the job - and most folks I know that have rolled their own gateway devices in the SMB sector end up using pfSense.

If you are a little more limited in choice of hardware a homebrew Debian based setup or Smoothwall may be a better (and totally acceptable) option.

Associate
I would also add that pfSense is derived from m0n0wall which is derived from FreeNAS which is derived from BSD.

So the style of GUI and a lot of the core code under the bonnet (syntax, paths etc.) will be familiar to you if you are experimenting with FreeNAS already.

Associate
Just remember that pfSense doesn't have IPv6 support in the 2.0 release, so you have to track the 2.1 development.

That's the main reason I stuck with M0n0wall and/or Mikrotik. Of course, you could always add it in to a custom build.

Associate
OP
thanks for all the suggestions guys, I think I'm gonna try a few of the suggestions here.
I'm guessing there quick to setup?

Associate
I cant imagine IPv6 will play any part in private networks for a long time yet. ;) By which point i'm sure they will have the support needed.

I've been running it at home (dual-stack) for well over a year... Just because many people are slow to catch up, doesn't mean it shouldn't be a requirement in routers - it's not exactly a *new* technology.

Sure, I'm not necessarily 'average' with a /27 for IPv4 and a /48 for IPv6, but it's definitely available and although it costs more than budget-internet-R-us, it's no more expensive in real terms than I was paying for 14.4k back in the day. It's most definitely a 'private' network in my house, except for my PS3 and the odd server.

It's network providers *and* router manufacturers/software who need to get this support in so that people can use it. The excuse of "It's not really needed yet" doesn't work with routers, because people can't use it until the routers support it.

The sooner people can move to IPv6, realise why NAT is bad and generally become free from the limitations of IPv4, the better.

Back
Top Bottom