Official page for the Asus VG278H now online.

Associate
They always up the price when stock hits low on stuff thats not easy to replace in large quantities knowing that someone will buy it at that price when other places sell out.

@fireisdangerous You actually have the monitor? or has it been dispatched? :)

Associate
Just managed to get this montor for 420.00 from an online etailer, think it must be a miss price but worth a try!!

Does that include the VAT?

I've been caught out thinking I was getting a bargain then realising the VAT had to go on :o

I grabbed this monitor and am really pleased with it.
You do need to fine tune it to your own comfort levels but thats easy enough with the OSD menu.

Glad to see Asus fine build quality and excess of features applys to their Monitors as well as there other hardware!

Associate
possibly a stupid question.

at the moment, before I buy my new gaming rig (probably just before/after xmas depending on if deals crop up), I have a core 2 duo pc setup....used for web browsing mostly etc. A small form factor Dell 760 desktop

I'm about to buy a low profile Sapphire 512mb 6450 and rebuild it into a 3d compatable HTPC for 3d blurays seeing as my old Popcorn player will not play 3d content.

Anyways, while I'm configuring the htpc, if I had this monitor connected, using a Radeon 6450 card, would it be possible for me to use this monitor in 3d mode (for bluray movies (3d full isos/discs/sbs mkv)? Or because its an AMD card is it a flat out no because of the way their Vision Kits work?

Associate
PCM2 - do you think a smaller version of this monitor will appear, ie with the Lightboost tech? Also do you think LG might try and get in on the act and release a follow up to the popular 120hz 23" W2363D?
Sorry I know I've asked you in the past about a smaller version, i just wondered if you'd heard anything on the grapevine. This Asus monitor ticks all the boxes - except the price!
Regards
shuf

Soldato
PCM2 - do you think a smaller version of this monitor will appear, ie with the Lightboost tech? Also do you think LG might try and get in on the act and release a follow up to the popular 120hz 23" W2363D?
Sorry I know I've asked you in the past about a smaller version, i just wondered if you'd heard anything on the grapevine. This Asus monitor ticks all the boxes - except the price!
Regards
shuf

I haven't heard anything about a 23-24" version of the VG278H with integrated 3D and a lightboost capable LED backlight. I hope ASUS will release a smaller version at some point (next year) as I'm sure there is good demand for it. This is the kind of thing that may become clearer in Jan 2012 during CES. Unfortunately I don't think LG will release a followup to the W2363D as they are focussed on integration of their own 3D technology at the moment - which is passive and will happily operate at 60Hz. They will also most likely release a 25" autostereoscopic 3D monitor next year globally which will provide 3D without glasses. They are likely to develop these technologies further and will probably release a 3D display using an IPS panel (perhaps next year) - but again, don't think this will be 120Hz and if it is it isn't clear how much benefit you will gain at higher framerates. Much beyond that the focus will be on alternative display types such as OLED which will probably shift the refresh rate standards up a notch and 120Hz+ will be the norm.

But hey - that's just me and my (liquid) crystal ball. ;)

Last edited:
Associate
Shame. I've just cancelled my pre-order.

Have seen loads of posts and images over the web regarding the VG287H and terrible backlight bleeding plus buzzing sounds (not sure if I can link to other forums?). Maybe it's a defect which'll be ironed out in the near future... just don't wanna risk it yet for over £500, but still really want one mind :rolleyes:

Anyone own one and experienced any issues?

Associate

Have seen loads of posts and images over the web regarding the VG287H and terrible backlight bleeding plus buzzing sounds (not sure if I can link to other forums?). Maybe it's a defect which'll be ironed out in the near future... just don't wanna risk it yet for over £500, but still really want one mind :rolleyes:

No noise but slight bleed from the top of the screen. This gets better when you calibrate and reduce the brightness at it is too bright out of the box.

Associate

No issues with mine, very pleased with 120Hz 27" gaming whoop whoop! :D

Associate

I would say your more likey to hear from people that have problems with it then those that dont. And theres prob far more people that dont have problems with it then those that do.

Mine has no buzzing sound. no dead pixels. It has small backlight bleed at the top that is noticeable if on very high brightness like supidly high.But Never noticed it in 3d mode or 2d mode on my brightness settings.

I decided to read some reviews on the monitor even tho i have one and i came across this
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc...monitors/asus-vg278h-1041717/review?artc_pg=2

Then i read this bit

We disliked

The tradeoff for nippy 120 Hz computer screens is often image quality, and this monitor's no exception. Don't expect a professional-quality colour palette or brilliant viewing angles - this screen's purely about the 3D.

And what i have to say to that is BS. Because it sounds like they comparing it to a IPS monitor rather then another TN monitor because no TN monitor has prefect colours out the box and great viewing angles and saying the monitor is purely about 3d is wrong aswell sence most buy it for 2d 120hz gaming which it is prefect for and has low input lag.

I think the viewing angles are fine for a TN. If i watch films on it from a distance i just tilt the monitor forward and switch to a mode with abit more brightness and its prefect.

And if for some reason your not happy with it you could always return it under DSR after a few days of testing it

Last edited:
Associate
Agree completely. I bought it mostly for 120hz 2D gaming and its been a bit of a revelation.

I've got some minor bleed but I don't think I've ever had a monitor that didn't.

Even as a 3D skeptic I've found that to be pretty great as well (admittedly I've only played Skyrim).

Associate
Not had any problems with my Asus VG278H. Loving it just as much as the day I bought it. :)

£600 is pretty steep though. I got mine for £527

One thing I've found is that Blizzard games have some of the best 3D. You should try Starcraft 2 or WoW.
I can't wait for Diablo3!

Associate

Dear all - thanks for your responses. You're talking me round (esp. considering DSR).

That said, everywhere still out of stock so would have to pre-order. Might give it a week or two, then do just that.

Back
Top Bottom