Asking for a payrise - how to play it?

Permabanned
Put together reasons why you deserve one?

Have a job lined up just in case. Not to mention it strengthens your position.

Associate
Justify why you deserve it and don't make any demands. Lining another job up is risky business unless you're actually prepared to move on.

Associate
Drop a hint and see where that gets you to determine your next coarse of action.

I'm in the same boat and also think I deserve a little pay rise but I dropped a hint last year and received a payrise so this year I might just ask very nicely and enquire if its within budget to him. My boss is quite honest I think... and would tell me out right yes or no can't afford it.

Soldato
I would make sure you are able to explain what and how you have taken on more responsibilities etc, and also that you've taken the opportunity to review your finances and that to be able to do the things you want to do you would need to be on $x - as such are you able to be moved up to $x.

If they say no, then you can ask what it is that you need to be doing to be able to justify that level of pay, and when can you start :p

IMO it's a more pro-active way of asking for a pay increase plus even if they come up with some excuse not to give you more money right then you are ready and able to pin them down to criteria which can be used at a later date to justify a raise.

It also raises the point in the managers mind that although you are happy now, you are open and ambitious enough to be considered for opportunities for more responsibility and therefore better pay - which means that your name will be one discussed when positions like that come up but also it puts the thought in the managers mind that you have ambitions and that if the current company doesn't meet them then you will be looking elsewhere - but in an assertive and cooperative manner.

Caporegime
"My rapidly escalating drug addiction is forcing me in to a life of crime. Yesterday I stole a chicken from Sainsburys so I could sell it and score. I will go to prison if you don't give me a payrise. BRB - need to do a line."

100% guaranteed.

Soldato
If you believe you deserve a pay review, then go for it!

At the same time, be prepared to leave (i.e. line something up). You should always be thinking about your next move.

Back
Top Bottom