Tummy's Hall of Fame - Garrincha

Caporegime
I've wanted to do something like this for a while. Here it goes. Hope you enjoy.

erqpU.jpg.png

Manuel Francisco dos Santos. Known by many as Garrincha will be the first person I introduce in to my hall of fame.

He was born in to poverty in October 1933 in Pau Grande, A place of poverty in the state of Rio de Janerio in Brasil, but of course you knew that was in Brasil. Life wasn't easy for anyone born in to such a place, but it would have been much harder for a cripple, for that is how he'd have been described among our generation and the idea of him playing football laughable. He indeed had to face many rejections due to this, for he was born with bowed legs and one leg 6cm short then the other. However, despite all of the struggles he faced in his youth one thing that never changed was his love for football.

vU5Vu.jpg.png

He always played football as a youth, and it is said that he would regularly travel from where he played football, for two or three hours on a train and would walk up to three miles home. Which is amazing and remarkable, not in just that a boy with such defects would commit to such a journey, but that he'd do this just to play football. He was never bothered by football, in terms of becoming a professional footballer either, he used football, certainly in his youth as an escape from daily life. Football would turn out to be an escape and his place of healing in my opinion in his life, for it was when playing football his demons would be unable to take hold of him.

He signed for Botafogo in 1953 (after as I mentioned before many rejections) as a young man, a big gamble for the club, signing what was in essence a cripple. It wasn't a decision the club regretted, indeed his 12 year career at the club was amazing, not just for the achievements, but because of his skill with the ball. He was loved by the club and has become intertwined with the history of the club (and Brasilian and World Football), of which he spent his longest period of his playing life, almost 600 appearances. In his début for the club he scored a hat trick and would go on to win many trophies with them. He mainly played as a right sided winger. He showed and developed his repertoire of tricks and skills.

It was at this club he would gain the platform to enter the International arena. He played superb football, often beating players several times such was his imperious skill as a dribbler. He once beat a player, twisting and turning so much the player fell down, he dribbled back to the player and helped him to his feet, without losing the ball.

Jonathan Stevenson said:
Played with a freedom of spirit and, at times, a reckless disregard for the "end product".

Garrincha wasn't about winning, this just happened to be a mere by product to his career, he was about enjoyment, flair, skill and imagination. It was during his time at Botafogo he got his nickname "The joy of the people". For the obvious reason, people would come just to see him play.

He narrowly missed out on the 1954 World Cup (making his International debut a year later in 1955 against Chile) but would make the '58 Squad. (It should also be noted, for general interest that Brasil were famous for taking along a psychologist to the 1954 World Cup, the only side that included one, such were the mental scars of the previous tournaments.)

The '58 World Cup belongs to that 17 year old Pele in many people's eyes, but Garrincha's contribution to the Brasilian side can not be over looked or ignored. The first game to "worry" the Canarinha (Brasil's nickname meaning Little Canary) was the third game against the USSR, Having previously beaten Austria by three goals to none and playing out the first goalless draw in World Cup history against an England side, it opened with Garrincha gliding (such was his style) past three players and rattling the post. It was in this game that Pele was also unleashed.

Wales' Mel Hopkins said:
Garrincha was more of a danger than Pele I believe at the time, a phenomenon, capable of sheer magic

(I'd also like to point out that this Brasilian side aren't the Brasil we think of, a side of flair and imagination a samba Brasil if you'll allow me, but it would be this generation, the golden era, that would set up that ideology and ethos, or at least help develop the Brasil the world loves. For this win with Pele and Garrincha would be the first of five World Cup wins.)

Garrincha finest hour was the '62 World cup, with Pele being injured early in to the competition the spot light turned to him, something that didn't seem to phase the young man. He proceeded to be joint top scorer at this tournament, His tournament.

British Press '62 said:
Was Stanley Matthews, Tom Finney and a snake charmer all rolled into one.

A wonderful fact about Brasil and Garrincha and Pele, They never lost a single game playing together and indeed Garrincha only tasted defeat once in 60 appearances. The defeat came in the '66 World Cup.

It should also be noted that many top European clubs (Real Madrid and Juventus) at the time made offers for him, but his love of his home kept him from moving.

His popularity in Brasil sky rocketed, mainly due to his footballing ability, but in large parts due to his amateur "ish" approach to football which was in contrast to Pele, who seemed to be a "man with a plan" on and off the pitch. Garrincha would often still drink in the same bars and was still close with the same group of friends from childhood. The famous "ole" is also believed to be started by crowds watching Garrincha beat players, which is a rather lovely thing I think. The "ole" chant is still popular today.

While on the field he was an incredible, amazing talent. Off the pitch he lead a life that would put George Best to shame, It's fair to say he enjoyed a party and female company, Indeed, he had many relationships with women and is believed to be the father of at least 14 children, suspected to have fathered a number closer to 36. Unfortunately his demon was drinking, a demon that has held many great people, but his relationship with alcohol would be his demise.

He suffered with cirrhosis of the liver due to his life style away from football and died at the age of 49, in 1983 in a coma. The Maracana stadium showed his remains for thousands of fans to pay their respects. The little birds coffin was buried with a Botafogo flag in Pea Grande, the place where his journey started and ended.

Memorial to Garrincha said:
Here rests in peace the one who was the Joy of the People – Mané Garrincha.

Eduardo Galeano said:
When he was on form, the pitch became a circus. The ball became an obedient animal, and the game became an invitation to party. Garrincha would shield his pet, the ball, and together they would conjure up some wonderful tricks that would have the spectators in stitches. He would hop over her, and she would bounce over him. Then she would hide before he would escape only to find her already running in front of him. Along the way, his pursuers would crash into each other in their attempts to stop him.

Pele said:
I would not have been a three-time World Cup winner without Garrincha

In a time where the word "world class" is over used, and media hype paints players as false prophets. I hope that players such as the 'Joy of Brasil' are never forgotten, for these players shaped and helped create the game today.

He was called the 'Angel with bent wings' by a Brasilian poet which I think is a fitting tribute to one of the greatest footballers that has ever graced the game.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I've written most of this from memory, only checking the dates and a few quotes so you'll have to forgive me for that and I've had too many kopparbergs too :)

I'll do more if you guys like it, but if not that's okay.

Permabanned
As far as im aware Garrincha only had 50/51 caps for Brazil and thus couldnt have a 60 game undefeated streak with Pele.. although the stat itself is true. Nit-picking apologies.

Id also add that he had a spine deformity just to show the remarkable lengths he went through to become a professional.

Im no Garrincha expert but did watch a recent documentary about him which was fantastic and id recommend it to all.

Back
Top Bottom