Easyriders Cinema Room

Associate
Are you sticking with WHS 1 or are you / have you migrated to WHS 2011 ?

I finally ended up with WHS 2011 due to the price (around 56 USD now) and kernel issues with my MB and nic. It doesn't have drive pooling natively though which is a deal breaker for a lot of people although there are plugins being developed which give that functionality back.

I also became a little concerned that the server was on 24*7 and doing very little so I have now virtulized it. The server is now (with a bit of hardware fine tuning) an ESXi server (the free VMWare virt server) running a WHS 2011 VM. I am also working on separate Linux (CentOS 6) VMs for game servers, torrent / news clients etc. Apart from a few unsupported hardware issues it has all gone pretty well with the Linux VMs only using around 8GB disk and 500MB ram (give or take extra for the game servers).

One issue I am having come back though is that neither my WDTV Live or AC Ryan HD2 can browse my WHS. My AC Ryan has never been able to network browse to my WHS (virt or not) but at some point my WDTV Live started seeing it. The AC Ryan lets me define shortcuts which worked getting to the WHS server so no big deal. Rebuilding WHS in the VM is now stopping the WDTV Live seeing the server again. I believe the problem is mainly with WHS 2011 but have you seen this and if so, how did you resolve it ?.

RB

Caporegime
I don't see any reason to upgrade to WHSv2011. No drive extender built in (ok there are now plugins but I'd rather something like that be part of the o/s), so I won't be doing.

Caporegime
OP
I don't see any reason to upgrade to WHSv2011. No drive extender built in (ok there are now plugins but I'd rather something like that be part of the o/s), so I won't be doing.

I just don't know how to get around the 2TB folder limit on WHS 2011?

My HD folder is 4TB with duplication on and my home Family HD Videos is 2TB and growing.

I dont want to have to manage my Video over 2 or more folders on seperate drives.

Loosing DE is retarded to the extreme:mad:

Associate
I just don't know how to get around the 2TB folder limit on WHS 2011?

My HD folder is 4TB with duplication on and my home Family HD Videos is 2TB and growing.

I dont want to have to manage my Video over 2 or more folders on seperate drives.

Loosing DE is retarded to the extreme:mad:

Folder limit ?. Do you mean drive partition limit ?. My stuff is categorised in separate folders (one per movie/music album etc) so I don't have a single folder with 2TB in.

If it is drive partition limit then I use spanning which is Windows version of JBOD so the data is spanned across a number of disks. Same risks as Raid 0 in that loose one disk and loose it all but then you can created two spanned arrays and then create either a raid1 array from then or just run a nightly robocopy scheduled task to keep them in sync (which is what I do).

WHS2011 also looses shared personal folders as well although you can set them up yourself if you wish too.

RB

Caporegime
It's 2TiB per MBR partition, I can't see why it affects WHSv1. All it means is that the largest physical disk you can use is 2TiB, as the shares are pooled it doesn't matter and you can have any size.

In WHSv2011 you're allowed a maximum backup size of 2TiB apparently.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Folder limit ?. Do you mean drive partition limit ?. My stuff is categorised in separate folders (one per movie/music album etc) so I don't have a single folder with 2TB in.

If it is drive partition limit then I use spanning which is Windows version of JBOD so the data is spanned across a number of disks. Same risks as Raid 0 in that loose one disk and loose it all but then you can created two spanned arrays and then create either a raid1 array from then or just run a nightly robocopy scheduled task to keep them in sync (which is what I do).

WHS2011 also looses shared personal folders as well although you can set them up yourself if you wish too.

RB

I have my videos in the video share root on whs V1

How would I manage my videos with whs 2011?

Have like A-G on one 2TB disk and H-M on another 2TB drive?

:confused:

I just want to copy my HD content to a video folder and forget they are there! Not fanny about :p :(

EDIT: Also just add \\server\vidoes as the root my HD content on XBMC I would have to add many roots just to access my video collection.

Last edited:
Associate
I have my videos in the video share root on whs V1

How would I manage my videos with whs 2011?

Have like A-G on one 2TB disk and H-M on another 2TB drive?

:confused:

I just want to copy my HD content to a video folder and forget they are there! Not fanny about :p :(

EDIT: Also just add \\server\vidoes as the root my HD content on XBMC I would have to add many roots just to access my video collection.

I have two 2TB drives 'joined' to act as a 4TB share. i join them by making them both dynamic disks and the creating a spanned volume. I then mount and share the volume. Where the files go is handled by the OS but.... there is no build in redundancy. If you span you need to backup to either another spanned volume or something else.

RB

Caporegime
OP
I have two 2TB drives 'joined' to act as a 4TB share. i join them by making them both dynamic disks and the creating a spanned volume. I then mount and share the volume. Where the files go is handled by the OS but.... there is no build in redundancy. If you span you need to backup to either another spanned volume or something else.

RB

Dude please share you knowledge and experience here

Keeps this thread clean and Dandy. I have loads of questions for you:)

Caporegime
OP
I have project 2 under way...Brand new build in another part of the house...If there is enough interest I'll document it....

Just looked only 4 stars for this epic thread?

Lame :p

Soldato
It got 4 stars over at Avforums aswell, so it must be right.

O and I'm sure you've only just 'looked' at your thread having 4 stars now, it's obviously been on your mind for a long time ;)

Look forward to your new build.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
New house build is nearly done...

Last part is the games room

kef2copy.jpg

Forgive the crudity of my design:blush:

kef.jpg

I dont want any visable speakers in this room but I want at least 5.1...I was thinking of placing some Kef ci160.2Qs on either side of the apex in the room..Its single floor standard ceiling level room length is approx 7.7M width 5M

Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom