Hard Drive Pricing going up at an alarming rate!!!!

Caporegime
Meh, I bet Sony used some new fangled tech to create a flood, satellite weather control.

Surely people should seriously consider £55-60 bluray writers and 10 packs of 25gb discs for £10 you can get these days. Just a shame that, I can't remember if its 75gb, or 100gb discs are around £100 :p

thing is, most people don't even need much storage, they are just being told they need it. The amount of family and friends who have computers with 1-2tb drives in, yet have barely any data on them, windows, photo's, done, 1.5tb spare.

Sure, downloaders "need" storage, in the same way that these days you can download at a rate faster than you can watch or listen to whatever it is you're downloading.

Most home users wouldn't care if you took their old hdd's and stuck it in a new computer, and most downloaders can delete 90% of what they've got, and download anything they had within an hour or two anyway.

General prices that have been seen, almost weekly someone has had a deal of £70 or 80 for 2tb drives, yet all the proper component selling sites have them ridiculously higher.

I think people are in general, talking rubbish about the lack of supply of drives, there is a lack of supply, but there is less demand than people wanted to think there was in the first place.

IE Dell might be sticking 640-1tb drives in most of their desktops, but most of the people who buy them wouldn't need anymore than 160-320gb drives anyway. There is still, as stock market statements/investor statements tell us, 10's of millions of drives coming out per quarter from the two hardest hit guys, and that will only increase over time, not decrease further.

As for the low margins Seagate and WD make, tough tata's really, they sell hundreds of millions of drives, DO make a profit, and boohoo, they'll live with it. People pay cheap prices for 2tb drives, because almost every person who has a computer could live on 250gb drives if they needed to, 2tb's are a luxury. We don't delete video we'll often never watch again, just because its convenient to have in case you do want it again, the IMPORTANT stuff we can't delete, for the vast majority of people is a pretty small amount and a lot of it people want hard copies of, like photo's and if HDD's become stupidly priced as said a Bluray and a few discs to back up all your family photo's AND have a second copy to store somewhere else is a better option in the first place.

HDD's in stupid capacity's are stupid cheap because we don't actually need them, its really that simple. if windows took 300gb, and everyone took 25MP photo's in raw at 20MB's a pop and everyone took the highest quality lossless audio files. But Windows is still sub 50gb, by a long way and due to get smaller again next time, most people keep mp3's in low quality and can't tell the difference, most people take jpeg photo's at low quality with meh camera's.

Soldato
Holy flippin Moley, just been browsing to buy a 2.5" laptop HDD and my jaw hit the floor after seeing the prices!

I bought a 1TB WD Black 3.5" desktop HDD on 15th Oct for £64.99 from a competitor. Just checked todays price from the same place and its gone up by over £100!!!!!!!! OMG! £169.99 for a 1TB HDD, no flippin way! Ridiculous. I'll make do thanks.

Rant over.

You can buy a 3TB internal HD, Hitachi, for £110. Right now. Free delivery. From a big high street retailer which sells electronics, though sounds like it should be selling Indian food.

Don't fall for silly prices which some retailers are charging. Like everything (not just now), if you search, you will find some retailers charging high prices and some charging low prices. It is up to you to search for the best deals.

Associate
I feel like I have been living under a rock the last month and a half. I thought oh I'l just pick up another samsung f4 2tb for £50-60 as I'm running a bit low on storage and then I just seen the prices and thought what the hell is going and seen this thread.

Well, I'm going to America at the end of January although I don't expect prices to be much better hopefully they will be a bit more reasonable by then and end up picking up a couple while I'm over there.

Associate
Well, I'm going to America at the end of January although I don't expect prices to be much better hopefully they will be a bit more reasonable by then and end up picking up a couple while I'm over there.
Currently they are equally more expensive than 2 months ago as they are here. If global demand/supply dynamics brings prices lower by January over there, I guarantee you it will happen here too.

Associate
HP refusing orders at work for base units and now Intel reducing profit forcasts for the next quarter or two.

Jesus I really wish companies would check where they put their factories or at least build in some anti water defenses.

Far to many people build on flood plains with no plans for this sort of stuff, this is a problem world wide. What is it with human nature and taking chances, fiver bet those defenses or building the factories in raised ground wouldn't amount to the damages incurred.

Associate
I’m sorry if this has been mentioned, but seeing as external HDD’s are much cheaper… is it possible to break open the casing of an ext. drive and use it as internal?

I’d really like a ‘green’ drive preferably 3TB, min. 2TB.

Back
Top Bottom