Official page for the Asus VG278H now online.

Associate
UK/European owners: Can we have a quick show of hands (yay or nay) regarding the backlighting problem being experienced by our North American/Canadian cousins here:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1653278

I'm trying to work out if this design fault affects all batches.

I had a look at mine last night and I didn't have the problem. My monitor was from the first batch.

I've been considering a couple more of these for surround but its a bit worrying. On [H] an ASUS rep said they are looking into it.

Associate
UK/European owners: Can we have a quick show of hands (yay or nay) regarding the backlighting problem being experienced by our North American/Canadian cousins here:

I'd really like to know if this only affects North America/Canada too. I really wanted to buy one of these monitors until I read about and saw the backlight bleeding issue.

I've not been able to find a clear answer anywhere regarding batches sent to the rest of the world.

Associate

I havent any issues.
Let me know if you want any batch numbers or such?

Oh and let me know where to get them lol! :D

Associate
My monitor is fine. No issues like the one in the link.

One thing id like to know, Is it normal that 3d mode doesnt seem as bright as 2d default mode when set to 100%? Says 100% on 3d mode but seems more like 40% so wondered why 3d mode doesnt use the full brightness of the monitor so picture is even brighter when using the glasses.

If i set lightboost from 10 to 0 it looks like the monitor is on 5% brightness

Associate
I'd really like to know if this only affects North America/Canada too. I really wanted to buy one of these monitors until I read about and saw the backlight bleeding issue.

I've not been able to find a clear answer anywhere regarding batches sent to the rest of the world.

I cancelled my pre-order based on that forum thread! Was gonna wait and see what UK user reviews were saying before putting money down again.

Associate
My monitor is fine. No issues like the one in the link.

One thing id like to know, Is it normal that 3d mode doesnt seem as bright as 2d default mode when set to 100%? Says 100% on 3d mode but seems more like 40% so wondered why 3d mode doesnt use the full brightness of the monitor so picture is even brighter when using the glasses.

If i set lightboost from 10 to 0 it looks like the monitor is on 5% brightness

Its an unfortunate result of 3D, it is entirely normal. Thats why lightboost was developed in the first place, as the reduction in brightness is the main complaint about 3D.

And with regards to the UK batches having the problem, I count now 3 posters saying that they have no issue. Looking promising.

If anyone else who has this monitor could please post and let us know it would be greatly appreciated. Remember it is only supposed to appear 2-4 days after first use.

Last edited:

ctd

ctd

Associate
Have had mine for over a month now. Use it almost every day. No issues what so ever. First batch, bought in Sweden.

Love it.

Associate
Ok thanks. I though people meant the reduction in brightness from wearing the glasses. Not the 3d mode itself. Its fine for games but would be nice to have more brightness when viewing 3d movies :) About the problems north American/Canadian users had, Its most likey the EU monitors was made at a different factory as mine came with a EU and uk plug leads and also the actually box details are abit different

Associate
Umm, isn't this exactly why people who play FPS games say that 120Hz looks smoother - because there are twice as many frames per second? Assuming of course that your graphics card can keep up.

of course keeping over 100FPS a second on the next metro, crysis, battlefield game or any newer games will be a struggle at settings higher than the console counterpart.

Associate
Have had mine for over a month now. Use it almost every day. No issues what so ever. First batch, bought in Sweden.

Love it.

Fourth person in the UK/Europe to say that theirs is problem free, started to get very tempted to buy one of these with tomorrows paycheck...

There's always the DSR after all! :D

Soldato
Thanks for the feedback folks. As Greenja said it sounds promising... although 4 positive remarks hardly constitutes a solid statistical basis :D

At least I know that if an OcUKer found serious fault, we wouldn't need to look very hard to find mention.

There sure is. Buying is often so much more rewarding than thinking. ;)

PCM2, you are not helping ;)

Think I will try one for myself.

Associate
Fourth person in the UK/Europe to say that theirs is problem free, started to get very tempted to buy one of these with tomorrows paycheck...

There's always the DSR after all! :D

That oval bleed issue appears after a couple of days apparently so you should be ok for the DSR.

Associate
Yes and even if it was outside of the DSR this is something that would (should!) definitely be covered by the warranty.

I wouldn't accept them not replacing the unit under warranty with a problem as severe as that!

Still, don't want to go through the hassle if I don't have to so still a bit wary and unsure... the positive responces from UK/EU buyers is reassuring though. A couple more positive replies and 0 negative in this thread and I will most likely click buy!

Soldato
I wouldn't accept them not replacing the unit under warranty with a problem as severe as that!

Going by the US thread, the problem is not having the unit replaced under warranty, it's getting replacements and finding they also have the same issue.

I think one chap was on his third one and it still suffered the same backlight issue.

Getting one of the new 27" Samsungs instead doesn't save you either, they seem to have their own problems. Makes you think all these monitors could have spent more time in development. We (the end users) appear to be the guinea pigs.

Associate
I own one of the 27" Samsung monitors, the S27A950D (as in sig) and think its an amazing monitor, best picture quality i've ever seen on a non IPS panel.

What problems are you speaking of? I've never had any issues with mine at all, but I wouldn't be suprised if there was some as you say, guinea pigs lol.

Soldato
I read on a few forums regarding complaints of: the monitors not recognising the graphics cards (Ati and Nvidia), backlight bleed issues, monitors randomly going into sleep mode, the screen distorting (may or may not have been attributed to a PC overclock?) etc.

That's not including people complaining about issues with TriDef. I found these just by generally googling reviews.

I'm not slating the Samsung monitors, I quite like the look of both the 750 and 950 (shame about the poor stand). If you haven't noticed any problems then great, I wouldn't bother looking for any.

Can I ask why you're looking at the Asus if you already have a 950D?

Associate
Ah i do remember briefly reading about the random sleep mode.

Mine has suffered none of those problems luckily.

Poor stand? The stand in awesome! My monitor is the centrepiece of my room, its beautiful :D

Well as a 2D 120hz monitor the 950D is amazing, i've been very very impressed with it. But I bought it for 3D gaming mostly and when I had my Ati card the 3D with Tridef was quite impressive, I really enjoyed it.

Then I bought the 570 in my sig and Tridef will only run side by side mode with an Nvidia card (half horizontal resolution).
There is a hack for 3D vision to work on the 950D, but I found it introduced too much ghosting (many people have had it work perfectly however, so im not sure what my issue is there).

So basically, I want the Asus as I want to use 3D Vision 2 with my new GTX570.

Soldato
Fair enough, that's the main reason I was leaning towards the Asus.

Regarding the 950s aesthetics, it's a beautiful design, but I was put off by the stand. Not only does it have limited adustability, but it appears to put stresses on the screen. See here: http://www.pcmonitors.org/monitor-reviews/samsung-s27a950d

Sounds like you got a good one. Would be interested in a brief comparision once you get your Asus :)

Associate
Yes I do agree it has very limited adjustability (it only tilts backwards... who wants to tilt their screen backwards!?) and can definitely see how it can cause stress on the screen. But like I said mines been flawless and I love the design.

I like how you said "once you get" and not "if you get" ;) I will definitely post up a comparison in this thread.

Are you going to go ahead and get one too? :D

Back
Top Bottom