Acer 8371/3810 Owners Thread

Associate
So got my battery back today from acer support.

And its just the exact same. Won't power up from the battery.

They didn't tell me what they did or anything. So don't know what the people at the service centre did. Still doesnt work anyway

Sorry to hear that, might aswell get one off eBay. :(

Associate
any one know how to get the best out of the speakers on my 3810tg ,sound is just not quite loud enough .have plug in speakers but dont want to Carry them around with me all the time.

Man of Honour
Looking for a little advice here.

My backlight stopped working a couple of days before my warranty would have expired. Lucky, I thought, until I found out that it247 were out of business and the only proof of purchase I have is the confirmation email and bank statements. Acer don't seem happy with these. I'm planning on calling the customer service number that's still on their website, but does anyone have any experience with this or any other ideas? I can't check the original packaging for a few more days, do it247 normally include a proof of purchase document?

Associate
Just wondered if anyone here could help me with an annoying problem.

I purchased a 3810TG on eBay and tested it perfectly with the stock configuration and it was working fine. I then sold the 4GB RAM and stock hard drive off to swap for an SSD and 8GB RAM. On fitting the 8GB RAM it booted and worked fine. I then entered the BIOS and changed a couple of settings, increasing the GPU shared memory from 256MB to the highest option and enabled 'SMRR Support' under Advanced CPU control.

Now for some reason I can't seem to get any picture to display on the screen at all. I have tested it with two other types of memory and have even tried disconnecting the motherboard battery to see if it would reset the BIOS settings but nothing has revived the laptop. It turns on and the power button light glows, but it shows no other signs of life (no beep codes) and will not power off if I hold down the power button. I have to pull the battery to get it to shut down.

Is there any way for me to reset the BIOS or another way to revive the system? It is running the latest BIOS (1.28).

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Update:

I managed to fix this laptop with the FN + ESC BIOS recovery boot. It seems the eBay seller had installed a custom BIOS with some dangerous features that could brick the device!

Last edited:
Associate
Looking for a little advice here.

My backlight stopped working a couple of days before my warranty would have expired. Lucky, I thought, until I found out that it247 were out of business and the only proof of purchase I have is the confirmation email and bank statements. Acer don't seem happy with these. I'm planning on calling the customer service number that's still on their website, but does anyone have any experience with this or any other ideas? I can't check the original packaging for a few more days, do it247 normally include a proof of purchase document?

This is the exact oposite of my experience. I also bought from IT247 and only had my email confirmation. My backlight stopped working the week before the warranty ended and I rang them up and told them the date of purchase - they said that was different to what was on their system and that they would email me instructions on how to get this changed. I received the email and read the bit about VAT receipt and thought crap! I still went to the link in the email and submited the email I had from IT247 expecting for them to reject this but instead a day later I had an email saying thanks for the details and that my purchase date had been updated and to call them back up to arrange collection of my laptop. It was then fixed in under a week.

Soldato
So glad to hear that others have had the backlight problem. I have a 3810TG. I've contacted Acer and they're saying it's out of warranty and will charge me £55 just to send it back to them. I also bought mine from IT 24/7 in December 2010. It can't be out of warranty that quick, can it?

How do I get this issue sorted without paying?

i bought mine 1 year and exactly 1 week ago : will it be covered?

Associate
Anyone know how we restore this PC back to its original configuration? I don't have any recovery disks at all. I was never given them with the laptop.

Associate
Does anyone else have these two problems:

The graphics card switches from Ati/Intel without asking when you unplug the laptop?

When i plug in earphones, the audio plays out the speakers for about 2 seconds before playing through the earphones? E.g. if I have the earphones in for a few minutes, then play a song, it will still play out the speakers for a few seconds when it nows the earphones are in

I tried searching this thread for it but couldnt find anything

Soldato
got a new glossy screen for £60 :)

The inverters are built into the screens aren't they on these models?

Last edited:
Permabanned
Anyone know if there is a restore disk for this?

I plan to sell mine soon and need to put vista back on it.

Seems like I'm one of the few who never had a single issue with it!

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom