Buying an amp, Marshall MG50DFX?

Soldato
Hello,

I've had my guitar for a few years and played it on and off. I know some stuff, but not a lot, and my knowledge of technical stuff to do with music is non-existent. I don't know anything about amplifiers, but I'm pretty much just looking to get a second hand 50w amp for under £100.

I've come across the MG50DFX and it seems to fit the bill based on these reviews http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/marshall/mg50dfx/index.html

Would it be a good choice for me, as a beginner, to get a decent sound for playing a mix of stuff (Pink Floyd, Led Zep, RHCP, etc.)?

If not, can anyone make a recommendation for an alternative at the same price point?

My guitar is an Ibanez GSA60. No idea if that's any good or not either.

Commissario
I've had one for about 10 years and it's needed a new speaker because it was cranked up pretty loud and someone decided to cut the power which had a bit of an impact!
Other than that it's been a great amp and I've always managed to get the sound I want from it. Others (Gustov) will tell you that it's crap and useless but I wouldn't listen to them. Best advice would be to go a shop and try out one.

Man of Honour
AFAIK, the Marshall MG series isn't the best for distorted tones. I had a marshall AVT series once and I thought the distorted channel was fairly weak even then.

Also if it's for your bedroom, you really, really don't need something as loud as a 50watt amp.

Man of Honour
In my experience plugging in headphones directly to an amp always sounds awful, but I'd be willing to listen to anyone who says otherwise.

Soldato
Decent amps I guess. Rubbish distorted sound but other than that they're fairly ok. Personally I dislike digital amps (valve all the way) but I've used similar before and found them to be alright.

50watts is RATHER loud though. You'd never be able to truly crank it at home (which I guess doesn't matter all that much cause you only really need to crank valve amps to get the best tone), so I'd probably look elsewhere. Might be able to get something quieter and better for cheaper.

In my experience plugging in headphones directly to an amp always sounds awful, but I'd be willing to listen to anyone who says otherwise.

I absolutely agree. From my experience amp modelling effects pedals are better than actual amps when it comes to headphones and even at that they ain't great.

Associate

Quite right, plugging headphones into an amp always sounds rubbish. The speaker/cabinet contributes to the overall sound as much as the amp itself.

If you're mostly playing through headphones then you want something like a Line6 POD rather than an amp.

Associate
I can confirm that plugging a pair of sennheisers straight into a Line6 15W spider IV does sound awful, completely different sound to what comes out of the speaker.

Soldato
OP
Soldato
Others (Gustov) will tell you that it's crap and useless but I wouldn't listen to them. Best advice would be to go a shop and try out one.

:p

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33

I'd advise you ask in here. I'm not a fan of the MG series. There a quite a few kids in there but also quite a few experienced guitarists who have spent thousands on amps.

To be honest, if you know no better, you'll love them. But the second you hear a tube amp you'll be blown away.

Last edited:
Soldato
I assume tube amps cost a lot more? What sort of price do they start at?

Also, what is a good online guitar shop which explains some of this stuff? Thanks

Well there's the Blackstar HT-5.

Tube amps don't cover up as many mistakes as the Line 6 will. The line 6 sounds far too saturated for my liking. Almost fake sounding.

I would advise getting a HT-5 and then save for a couple of decent pedals to boost it / add reverb / delay if wanted.

Man of Honour
I assume tube amps cost a lot more? What sort of price do they start at?

Also, what is a good online guitar shop which explains some of this stuff? Thanks

They don't necessarily cost a huge amount more, but some brands will charge through the roof for them.

The thing is, if you go with the very generalised rule of thumb that 'more tubes equals more tone' and that tubes need to be pushed to get great tone, then you have to run them at 'deafening volumes' (as judged by your neighbours) just to be able to experience it. Some amps try to compensate for this with a master volume (or alternatively you can buy a device called a 'hot plate' that will have similar effect) but I've always found (and thought) that loud amps need to be played loud.

Hence I'd be against buying an expensive high end tube amp just for bedroom fun.

Soldato
OP
I think I'm just going to go with the Marshall 30w thing, although there is a 50w one on eBay right now which I might keep an eye on. It is just bedroom fun, I am very much a beginner so really don't think I should get bogged down with stuff right now until I can actually play something half decent.

Thanks all.

PS. Strings advice would be welcome though.

EDIT: Do you think 30w is even too much? The 15w one is obviously cheaper.

Man of Honour
Well there's the Blackstar HT-5.

Tube amps don't cover up as many mistakes as the Line 6 will. The line 6 sounds far too saturated for my liking. Almost fake sounding.

I would advise getting a HT-5 and then save for a couple of decent pedals to boost it / add reverb / delay if wanted.

I have a blackstar HT-5 combo and think it's good.

For reference, it's top end volume is ridiculously loud and it's a 5 watt amp, let alone 50 :p

(but 10x more wattts does not mean 10x as loud!)

Man of Honour
For strings just get either a set of Ernie Ball slinkies or super slinkies. Super slinkies have a slightly lighter string gauge, which makes bending notes a lot easier, but generally the heavier the string gauge, the better the tone.

Job done.

Soldato
OP
It seems the Marshall MG30 one might be discontinued.

Turns out this will probably be a Christmas present, so really just need a recommendation on an amp for up to £150 :p

Sorry everyone, I'm being a right pain here!

For strings just get either a set of Ernie Ball slinkies or super slinkies. Super slinkies have a slightly lighter string gauge, which makes bending notes a lot easier, but generally the heavier the string gauge, the better the tone.

Job done.

Thank you, I'll check that out.

Associate
Scary if you are going to plug in headphones check out the line 6 guitar port. Plugs into your computer and can apparently emulate many different amps from yesteryears!
Can be picked up for around £100-120 ish.

Back
Top Bottom