• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6950 - Was I expecting way too much OR do I have a problem??

Soldato
Different games, different effects, the heaven benchmark is a GPU test so isn't really influenced by CPU. It does show your GPU is working fine though.

CPU impact is not directly on the graphics. The CPU is unable to create frames as fast as your GPU can render them in some games hence why there is an impact.

AD

Associate
OP
Different games, different effects, the heaven benchmark is a GPU test so isn't really influenced by CPU. It does show your GPU is working fine though.

CPU impact is not directly on the graphics. The CPU is unable to create frames as fast as your GPU can render them in some games hence why there is an impact.

AD

Right OK Thanks.

Might try OC more

Caporegime
I probably should be happy with the bf3 fps at 50-60 then

Like I say, its just the other games, Black ops isn't overly demanding and still not higher

bops isnt overdemanding but will probably be a lot better wityh faster cpu

try the same res and same settings but low high and max settings if fps is same your cpu limited

60 fps at bf3 is very good tbh its a poorly optimised game . you want 125 fps in that get your wallet out and then some :D which it basically isnt worth it.

Associate
You can only actually achieve the fps that is your screen refresh rate. So if you have a 60Hz screen, 60 fps is all you can get, and all you need tbh. In game where I have the option to set a max fps, i.e. counter strike, I set it to my screen refresh rate, or generally one more. This will minimise the fluctuation of your fps for one thing. If your game is stuck to 60 fps you'll likely get a much smoother play than if you have it set so your card just drives for the highest fps it can. If your card is plying for 100 fps it's just using more resources than it needs to, you're not actually receiving that extra 40 fps through a 60hz screen.

Associate
Try this command line

Well i use a q6600 at stock,4gb 800mhz ram and a 4890 1gb,and i can play bf3 on high settings,fps is pretty decent40-60.

But..i am looking to do some major upgrading in the coming year,so i wanted to check how my rig was doing in bf3,and came across this command line

render.perfoverlayvisible 1

it shows a graph of gpu and cpu performance as you play.my gpu seemed to be handling things pretty well,no huge spikes...but the q6600 had quite high spikes in large open areas.
The q6600 is showing it's age especially at stock,to me that is probably why you are underwhelmed with performance with your 6950,which should be adequate for bf3.:)

Associate
When I got my 6950, I was like '... what a piece of crap'

Turns out all I had to do was go into CCC and change tesselation from 'AMD kill your FPS' to 'Use application settings' and my FPS approved vastly across the board, even games that didn't use tesselation, but BF3 and Crysis 2 were vastly improved.

No idea if the AMD optimised still rapes the FPS in recent driver iterations.

Soldato

Turns out all I had to do was go into CCC and change tesselation from 'AMD kill your FPS' to 'Use application settings' and my FPS approved vastly across the board, even games that didn't use tesselation, but BF3 and Crysis 2 were vastly improved.

This is why I never install the ccc. Never have, its just another thing to cause confusion and is it or isnt it mentality.

I just install display driver and play.

Soldato

Just done this and it does make quite a difference... Cheers...

Soldato
11111111111.jpg

still been playing with my i5-750 oc as could never get it stable but think im finally getting some where.

right now its uploaded correct pic gonna do a battlefield 3 test see what minimum fps is like.

Last edited:
Soldato
With a Q6600 you will be CPU limited, a fair amount in 64 player BF3. So in the busy scenes with lots of players running about and lots of buildings getting blown up, you'll be at the same fps as the 4870, perhaps a lil more.

Battlefield is almost entirely GPU limited, CPU speed is not much difference from the best to the average processors.

Soldato

Thanks for the tip I will try that later and see how much difference it makes.

Back
Top Bottom