Official page for the Asus VG278H now online.

Associate
No the monitor does work with PS3 et al, just need the HDMI 1.4 cable for it and any other devices like Sky box.

Old cables dont have the bandwidth needed - time to upgrade them.

Good news, I had heard from several places that it does not support side-by-side mode. Just to remove any lingering doubt can somebody confirm they have actually seen it working on a PS3 and/or Sky box? Thanks

Associate
Sorted... doh! Had to go into main PS3 Display Menu, and select AUTOMATIC rather than CUSTOM. Picked up as 3D ready with my current HDMI cable!

GT5 - 3D'd up!

Will post some proper feedback on the monitor once I've had a good go :D

Associate
Happy Xmas all :D

Just tried Bioshock earlier (easy quick test on my 5850) - constant 120 FPS is instantly noticable and I can tell already that going back to 60Hz would be tough. Good job I won't ever have to!

Associate
Hiya all, just a quick update to say that I'm still digging this monitor and think I've found the perfect settings for me now, thought I'd post in case folk are still tweaking and not yet satisfied :D

monitor calibration wizard settings
brightness - "-1.5"

Monitor settings
brightness - 30
contrast - 60
color temp - user 79 77 76
trace free - 80

Associate
Hiya all, just a quick update to say that I'm still digging this monitor and think I've found the perfect settings for me now, thought I'd post in case folk are still tweaking and not yet satisfied :D

monitor calibration wizard settings
brightness - "-1.5"

Monitor settings
brightness - 30
contrast - 60
color temp - user 79 77 76
trace free - 80

is this normal mode?

doesn't really work for me, the monitor wizard messed up my second monitors settings, which are fine :(

thanks for the input though :)

Last edited:
Associate
Mine was dead

Hi folks, I have looking st this post for a while. It appears that there are quality issues with these monitors as I purchased one on Christmas eve, powered it up and there is no backlight as the thing doesn't even come on.....:confused: I am well unhappy as I wanted to play the beast this week.

Think I am going to stick with my dell u2711 for now.. As I know it works perfectly.

Associate
the monitor wizard messed up my second monitors settings, which are fine :(

Just load up the default profile if you're not happy with it, everything will go back to normal. Yes, that's in normal mode, everyone has their own personal preference, obviously don't change settings if you're already happy :D

Soldato
Mine just arrived, very impressed so far with BF3 and Batman, Need to tinker, it is way too bright out of the box

Zero dead pixels

Gonna be happy with this me thinks :D

Soldato
I gave some thoughts on that when I was asked on another thread - http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=20878261&postcount=9. I have also been helping the member here 'skuko' with some of his questions. He was in a similar position, went for the ASUS and was quite disappointed with it coming from a Dell U2312HM. I think he is going to try out an S27A950D (he wanted an S27A750D but doesn't have DP on his GPU).

Associate
I gave some thoughts on that when I was asked on another thread - http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=20878261&postcount=9. I have also been helping the member here 'skuko' with some of his questions. He was in a similar position, went for the ASUS and was quite disappointed with it coming from a Dell U2312HM. I think he is going to try out an S27A950D (he wanted an S27A750D but doesn't have DP on his GPU).

DELL U2311H - the older modell :)

other than that, PCM2 is spot on.

had the asus for a week and RMA-ed it, i just couldn't cope with it standing next to an IPS panel. the colours/gamma come nowhere near the DELL, no matter what i did, including fiddling around with nvidia controla panel gamma, hue and saturation.

S27A950D just came in, i got the sms from the store that i can pick it up, going to have it home withing 2 hrs, i can tell you more once i set it up.

Associate
Now I am even more confused on whether the ASUS (or any other 3D) monitor can display TV 3D content from say a SKY 3D box. From researching this I find that comments have been made is multiple places saying it will not support it (you must use a TV not a monitor) as:
1. No side-by-side mode
2. Cannot display a 1080i picture (only progressive works) over HDMI
3. Cannot display 50hz

BUT I read the ASUS VG278H manual and it states that all 3 of these are supported.

Can anybody clarify this please? I don't want to spend £500+ just to test this out (any possibly the agro of DSR).

Associate
boosfuk.

I'm sure I read it can support SBS mode on the hdmi port (so surely sky should be fine?)

Did you get it in the end?

I actually ordered mine yesterday from elsewhere, for £492, however it was meant to come today on next day delivery....been sat around for ages waiting for it...to then check the DPD tracking info, and find its still sat at the depot floor not gone out!!!!! So annoyed right now....better be sent out tomorrow. stupid DPD

Back
Top Bottom