Meat cooking tip

Soldato
Just a quick one.

After moving house a few times in the last 2/3 years i've found this beats the hell out of "working out" a new oven. Gets meat EXACTLY how you want it every time and removes a lot of the guesswork.

Grab an oven thermometer with temperature alarms + probes on a wire. I use a Heston Blumenthal endorsed thing but it's not highly rated (but £20 and 1 bad review was "rare is set too high" the other "doesn't work with an aga" so...)

Stick meat in oven, poke the temperature probe into the middle of it, set temperature alarm (or in my case select the rare/rare-medium/medium/medium-well/well preset) as you please on the "clock" part and let it cook. It starts shouting when the food reaches the correct temperature for the level of "done-ness" you want.

My showboating dish is beef wellington but I live with greeks who like their meat a little less rare so I use a slightly cheaper cut than fillet and cook it a wee bit more for em. So far, so good.

Last edited:
Soldato
wow a meat thermometer. I use one of the ones you stick in and cook in the meat with a round dial. Works fine. Can probably get them in the pound shop. The digital electronic ones are good too but you need to take the meat out to use it properly

Soldato
OP
I've got a meat thermometer, I rarely use it I know how done my meat is.

i've gone:

Gas + fan
Electric + fan
Gas
Electric + fan

in the space of about 3 years. Once you're used to an oven, yup, it's generally not so hard to work it out but guesswork with a £30 cut of meat is likely going to end in tears. Much easier to use the probes and judge it by temperature.

Have a friend who's dad has an oven set in a fireplace with just a thermometer on the outside. Can happily cook anything perfectly, knows exactly how intense the fire needs to be for a certain temperature and does the easter cooking for a few families of Greeks as a result. It's one he's obviously VERY familiar with though (and built himself).

Last edited:
Soldato
I often cook round mates houses and have no problem switching between different kinds of ovens. Prefer fan assisted electric though.
Just keep an eye on it and you can take an estimated guess based on how it's progressing and the smell, particularly with chicken, gives it away.

Just one more bit of washing up you don't need to burden yourself with. Useful though.

Soldato
There is no way you can consistently get different joints of meat right without using a meat thermometer, there are too many variables, even if you're using the same oven every time.

Soldato
You need to be aware that meat often continues cooking once it comes out the oven, this is especially true with meat with bone in. You may want to adjust the time accordingly.

Associate
I'm guessing he means one of these jobbies. It'd be cool to know which was best though, there's a bunch of them around the 20 quid mark.

Although it's not a remote one, therapens seem to be considered the gold standard of kitchen thermos.

Back
Top Bottom