Those London Fireworks :O

Soldato
I find the people who complain about the cost of these things quite funny. How can they spend money on this when I have potholes in my road, etc?! Won't somebody think of the children?!

Jesus wept, lighten up a bit. The rest of the world was watching - 'how will the UK do in the Olympics?' will be a question that other nations will be asking on the news. I thought we were damn impressive and I was proud of what we did.

Associate
Why is everyone complaining about the costs?
It was a good display, and with the Olympics coming to us this year we need to spend to show that we can do a good show, thus making people want to come here for the Olympics. More people at the Olympics means more money pumped into the country.

Have to speculate to accumulate.

Soldato
Seen better, best ones I seen were done to Jeff Waynes war of the worlds down Plymouth hoe on bonfire night.
Decent tunes make better displays, London was far to Radio 1, only saw a couple of minutes on telly this morning though.

Soldato
Watched the Times Square ball drop on CBS, then they showed fireworks highlights from around the world. Maybe they picked the worst clip but London looked the shabbiest!

Associate
Seen better, best ones I seen were done to Jeff Waynes war of the worlds down Plymouth hoe on bonfire night.
Decent tunes make better displays, London was far to Radio 1, only saw a couple of minutes on telly this morning though.

They have to cater to a large audience. They won't play techno to please a few people, they'll go with whatever is the most popular.

DcD

DcD

Associate
I thought they were great, though what was funnier was having to explain to my friend that it isn't actually 30 guys running around the Thames lighting fireworks... LOL

Associate
They have to cater to a large audience. They won't play techno to please a few people, they'll go with whatever is the most popular.

This.

The music selection had a bunch of incredibly popular songs from several decades. Music was chosen that would have mass-appeal, whilst complementing the displays of course.

What a great show :)

Caporegime

You're really suggesting this:

Was better than last night? :p

Personally I never really watched the Plymouth firework night fireworks, they never really compared to the Firework championship displays in the summer.

Soldato
This.

The music selection had a bunch of incredibly popular songs from several decades. Music was chosen that would have mass-appeal, whilst complementing the displays of course.

What a great show :)

Who, apart from the Kinks, were all played as "re-mixed" dance versions of their songs so while you did hear Queen, Adele etc it was tiny snippets (say 2 min at most) in amongst 10mins of techno. [/techno hater :D]

I thought the display was pretty good, the smoke got in the way a bit but thats what happens with that amount of fireworks so not real complaint TBH.

At least it gives the Olympics a minimum level to reach.

Soldato
For everyone moaning about the cost of the evening, you do realise that it draws a huge number of people to the capital who then spend a small fortune on alcohol, food, hotels and rail fares? Like any event, they wouldn't put it on if they didn't make their money back somewhere.

Soldato
The London fireworks are impressive, but the show is just not exciting. It doesn't have the finesse or the scale of Sydney or Dubai. Just looks a mess in places to be honest. I never think that the London displays go well with the music at all. And they are overdoing the Olympic stuff way too much already!

We can't do anything right :(

Might have to go to Sydney next year :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom