Top Gear India Special

Soldato
Am I the only one that enjoys Top Gear's/Jeremy's sense of humour? To me it's clearly in jest, but on the other hand I wouldn't know how Indians feel about it.

I do think the whole TG team is getting big for their boots. They seem to be getting more offensive by the season. I think it has something to do with the show being extremely successful and they think they're invincible and can get away with it.

The one thing which I was annoyed about is the food delivery blunder. I do hope to god that was staged. Absolutely uncalled for barging into someone's livelihood and denting it.

Last edited:
Soldato
$0.02 :

Was a drag to watch. The only genuinely funny bit for me was when the banners ripped. Didn't see it coming although i should've.

This for me marks the beginning of the end of top gear. If I hadn't seen it I wouldn't have missed much. Why did they ruin their cars? It's not not funny or clever? IMO they should move the focus back to the country/the cars rather than how unfunny some balding old blokes are.

The three men in a boat afterwards, was more the kind of template they should be following.

Soldato
$0.02 :

Was a drag to watch. The only genuinely funny bit for me was when the banners ripped. Didn't see it coming although i should've.

This for me marks the beginning of the end of top gear. If I hadn't seen it I wouldn't have missed much. Why did they ruin their cars? It's not not funny or clever? IMO they should move the focus back to the country/the cars rather than how unfunny some balding old blokes are.

The three men in a boat afterwards, was more the kind of template they should be following.

So its the beginning of the end for the most popular show on BBC2 (UK) and the most popular show on the entire BBC (Worldwide) just because some people thought this years xmas special was sub-par? (which still makes it better than every episode of home and away ever made).

Here is one I made earlier (last thread like this):

Top gear is not a motoring program (old top gear was, it sucked hence why it got cancelled) new top gear (2002-current) is a car themed entertainment show, big (although perhaps subtle) difference.

Top Gear didn't become as massively successful as it is because the majority of people disliked the format, just saying.

Soldato
The special episode was crap, and I like Top Gear (despite not liking Jeremy Clarkson. Is that even possible? Sure he's funny, but his annoyance stands out more).

Anyway the India special has nothing on the other specials. Sure it's gone far beyond it being a factual series about cars. I must say its lost its touch. The trio should be allowed to come up with their own jokes without it being staged.

Cue "get a grip, it's comedy etc. Was I the only one getting a memo that it's a comedy etc". I thought it was crap. And a few others on here thought it was crap. A lot of my freinds who watched it thought it was crap.

Soldato
So its the beginning of the end for the most popular show on BBC2 (UK) and the most popular show on the entire BBC (Worldwide) just because some people thought this years xmas special was sub-par? (which still makes it better than every episode of home and away ever made).

Here is one I made earlier (last thread like this):

Top Gear didn't become as massively successful as it is because the majority of people disliked the format, just saying.

Read my post, and then get off your high horse.

For clarification, to be perfectly blunt: This episode, for me, was the point at which Top Gear jumped the shark. I've watched literally DECADES of Top Gear, this episode was rubbish. It's been 'on the wane' for a good 2-3 years now. I'm sure I'll continue to watch more - there by perpetuating it's reputation as a highly watched television show, but I won't be crying in my sleep if I miss an episode.

Soldato
Read my post, and then get off your high horse.

For clarification, to be perfectly blunt: This episode, for me, was the point at which Top Gear jumped the shark. I've watched literally DECADES of Top Gear, this episode was rubbish. It's been 'on the wane' for a good 2-3 years now. I'm sure I'll continue to watch more - there by perpetuating it's reputation as a highly watched television show, but I won't be crying in my sleep if I miss an episode.

But you haven't watched decades of top gear because it only aired 9 years ago, unless you include old top gear in the list which doesn't work as they are different shows (albeit them having the same name is a tad confusing). This episode wasn't "rubbish" it just wasn't up to the normal high standard, however it was still better than 90% of the stuff on TV.

Soldato
This episode wasn't "rubbish" it just wasn't up to the normal high standard, however it was still better than 90% of the stuff on TV.

Just, but I only watch the top best 5-10% of TV programmes anyway - see my point? Perhaps the new series will be better, but this episode was barely worth watching, I've got many other things to be doing than watching expensive, but mediocre TV programs. (like posting about them on the internet, for example)

Associate
Still LOLing at people who get upset when people don't like a TG ep :p. The episode was crap, it wasn't funny and it wasn't particularly interesting, spectacular or epic in the way other specials have been. It was just poor.

This isn't to say I, and I feel many other people on here, don't normally enjoy TG and the the fact it is supposed to be a comedy these days rather than a factual programme.

Jeez :p

Soldato
I thought it was highly enjoyable, laugh at the complainers too. Nice comedy imho.

Then again, I absolutely love TG, only seen 2 eps so far which I didn't like in the past couple of seasons... ( the one with the electric car they built springs to mind, and some other ep) Simply because I didn't care about what they were doing/talking about, aside from that, one of the best series ever imho, definitely in my top 5 tv series, Clarkson is genius...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Really gutted that they ruined that MINT mini cooper works, i actually find it offensive. They couldn't find a less mint one to ruin?

It wasn't a Cooper Works - it was just a run-out Cooper, but I did think 'Oh dear' when it turned out all 3 of them had really rather mint examples :(

Associate
Ironically them breaking the cars isn't really something that bothers me so much. Not like there aren't countless more Rover Mini Coopers knocking around :p.

Caporegime
The one thing which I was annoyed about is the food delivery blunder. I do hope to god that was staged. Absolutely uncalled for barging into someone's livelihood and denting it.

Of course it was staged.

James was always going to get lost, Jeremy was always going to drive like a fool and wreck his load and hammond was always going to make some amusing mistake.

They were never going to actually deliver peoples food, they were going to fail and do it humorously.

Soldato
Top gear is about the comedy as much as the cars, thats why it appeals to such a wide audience.
I reckon it's getting better with age, I now want to play straight 6 cricket.

Christ, some of you need to lighten up.

Caporegime
Just started watching this on iplayer, my thoughts so far are what a waste of a mini cooper, it looked mint and now it's got a dented roof and bonnet.

Associate
Just started watching this on iplayer, my thoughts so far are what a waste of a mini cooper, it looked mint and now it's got a dented roof and bonnet.

Exactly my thoughts.
I like the program for the entertainment factor but found this year's special very poor. I still haven't watched last year's one yet, keep missing it when repeated. :(

Soldato

I turned it off when they started painting the rolls, things like that should not be done in a motoring show of any sort (except maybe scrapheap challenge)

TBH it reflects very badly on them as people, very spiteful and negative, whilst at the same time very arrogant and condescending.

No I don't generally watch TG, I used to years ago, but can't stand it now. I watched the India special because of the billing and the Vietnam special that wasn't too bad.

Back
Top Bottom