Anyone got CAP/Glasses handy?

Associate
2006 56 Mini Cooper S Hatchback 1.6 3dr [Chili Pack]
28k miles £8125 Clean, £7325 Average, £6450 Below £9625 Retail

That's Novembers CAP.

For some reason my CAP hasn't renewed and there's no one at CAP office.

But it lost £75 between Oct and Nov but gained £225 Sept to Oct so no idea which way it went for Dec.

Guide price seems very high tho!

30k miles
retail 9395
clean 7900
average 7200
below 6400

Just because it says cap clean is 7900 doesnt mean thats what your gonna get, i normally offer CAP below and work my way up from there, if they arnt happy with it i normally suggest they sell there part ex privately.

Remember a lot of the time the dealer doesnt actually want your car at all, and will offer the lowest they can so they can trade it on to another dealer who likes that type of thing.

Now if they pay you top dollar for it, how are they going to be able to move it on if they are asking to much for it in the trade.

The rule for a dealer is......you dont make your profit until the part ex is also sold/traded on.

Maz, can you do me a valuation on my Alfa GT?

I've had a dealer quote 3k but want to see what your CAP says.

06 reg Alfa GT 1.9JTDm 126k miles

120k miles

retail 5300
clean 3550
average 3275
below 2975

So hes doing what i would do, offer cap below on it, so he can trade it on at cap average to someone who wants it.

If you want more then you might need to work on the price of vehicle you want to buy

Soldato
OP
if they arnt happy with it i normally suggest they sell there part ex privately

So you've got a book that clearly tells you the value of a car yet you choose to ignore it and insult a potential buyer by offering them less and if they aren't happy you tell them to sell it privately? What is your garage called? Remind me never to go there

Soldato
120k miles

retail 5300
clean 3550
average 3275
below 2975

So hes doing what i would do, offer cap below on it, so he can trade it on at cap average to someone who wants it.

If you want more then you might need to work on the price of vehicle you want to buy

Cheers for that.

Think I may just bung it up for sale for £4250 and see what happens! Alternative is to bung it on ebay with a £3.5k reserve.

Soldato
So you've got a book that clearly tells you the value of a car yet you choose to ignore it and insult a potential buyer by offering them less and if they aren't happy you tell them to sell it privately? What is your garage called? Remind me never to go there

To be fair it is a price guide. There is no obligation for them to offer you anywhere near what it says and there is no obligation for the buyer to accept what they offer.

Man of Honour
But it would be shrewd consumer advice to avoid any garage not offering above 'CAP Below' for a clean tradein if:

a) They were not underpricing the car you want by a similar amount
b) You wish to trade-in.

The no obligation thing works both ways you know, no obligation to buy from a dealer you perceive to be offering poor value. Remember, dealers are meant to add value to a car purchase. Thats why people pay more than they would from a private seller.

Associate

and if i dont want the vehicle they have, what am i meant to do, buy it from them then hope and pray someone will buy it from me?

They dont have to buy from me just like i dont have to buy from them.

You should never expect a dealer to give you the value of a vehicle, of course you want it, but doesnt mean your automatically gonna get it.

If i get offered a part ex i dont want, then i will offer below for it so i get chance to move it on to another trader.

If i sell a vehicle for £12k with 2k profit and take a part ex for £5k and 7k cash, have i actually made a profit......no, at that point im £3k down in terms of money and ive got a vehicle i dont want.

Its only when i sell the part ex that i get my profit, thats what a lot of people dont understand.

If the vehicle is an underdesirable model with loads of miles then no trader wants it, no retail customer is interested and im stuck with a vehicle that is reducing in value every week and maybe means i have to send it through the auctions meaning ill only get CAP below for it if im lucky.

For reference I have given customers CAP clean if its low miles and theres something good about it......say a 07 Golf GT Tdi Sport 140bhp for example i took in as those are popular

Man of Honour
and if i dont want the vehicle they have, what am i meant to do

To be fair you are a business selling cars (I presume? Unless you are just flogging stuff off your drive) and adding value to stock in order to do so, and PX is one service that adds a key value to anything you sell. A large proportion of your customers buy from you and not a private seller because they can trade in.

You take a PX to facilitate selling the car you have on your lot not neccesarily because you 'want' what they have to PX. You are not Mr Private Seller on Ebay who fancies a swap for an Estate car.

People buy from traders because they want backup if something goes wrong and/or because they wish to trade in what they currently drive. Otherwise they'd be far better off buying privately. Cap Clean isnt just for low mileage cars - the values are mileage adjusted. A Cap Clean value for an 80,000 mile car is lower than a Cap Clean value for a 40,000 mile car because its already adjusted for mileage adn to reflect the lower desireability of the car as a result. Whilst obviously you can do what you like the idea behind Cap Below is not to offer derisory amounts to people trading in clean but high mileage cars. If that was the case you'd have one set of values irrespective of mileage which of course you don't.

I've noticed cars go through auction for all sorts of amounts. Some fail to make book, some make book, in some occasions when it's something thats particularly easy to sell they can make over book. It's wrong to categorically state the value of a car at auction is less than CAP below, IMHO. Unless its different down South. Yea sure nobody wants a 150,000 Vectra but then you'll find the mileage adjusted CAP value of such a car to be about 20p anyway already reflecting the fact nobody wants it :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom