Poll: **********The All New Official OcUK Anti-Virus Program Thread - KEEP ALL AV QUESTIONS IN HERE*******

What AV do you use the most?

• Total voters
Associate
Hi Folks.
I would like peoples opinions on the best all round security solution. Basically it is for my in laws who are getting on a bit. I have had them on Norton 360 for the last 12 months (bought it on offer) and it has worked great. Its just that their subscription is coming to the end and I am trying to find a more cost effective solution. The good thing with Norton has been that it does not shout out and require attention all the time and has made a decent job of keeping them out of harms way. I would therefore like to install something similar that is a complete suite that requires little or no user interaction. Consequently I would like to avoid having to install separate AV, firewall, anti - malware etc. Your thoughts and advice would be welcomed.

Associate
I've just installed Kaspersky Internet Security 2012. It's pretty unobtrusive but also plenty of user options if required. It's also received decent reviews. Best thing for me though was as a Barclays Bank customer got it for free (not sure how long offer lasts) and licence covers 3 pcs.

Soldato
just done a fresh install, last time I was using:

AVG free
Adaware
superantispyware

is it necessary to have all 3?

I swear I download all the time, go all over the net, use common sense and I've never had a problem, but that could be because I was using those 3 :)

Suggestions please :)

Associate
just done a fresh install, last time I was using:

AVG free
Adaware
superantispyware

is it necessary to have all 3?

I swear I download all the time, go all over the net, use common sense and I've never had a problem, but that could be because I was using those 3 :)

Suggestions please :)

Ditch the placebo (AVG) and don't use adaware alongside any anti-virus program since it is now a anti-virus program.

I'd suggest using Avast for anti-virus and add malwarebytes anti-malware to the list.

Associate
Hi there,
I am on the look out for a security suite for my parents & on a certain auction site I came across AVG internet security suite 2012 with 10 licences for £6.99. The licences run until 2018 so I was wondering if these are genuine? I did read that when you buy a buisness edition AVG suite you get a home edition suite free. Is this what they are selling?

cheers

Will

Associate
Agnitum Firewall Pro for me with its anti-malware scanner.

Always worked better than the built in firewall and way less resources.

Also I love its anti-ad plugin and the fact its so flexible, as configurable as the users experience dictates.

Associate
I'm planning to do a fresh install tonight so need some advice on AV software.

I'm surprised so many people use MSE, I have been using it because its the most basic choice and avoids free 3rd party software with registration and pop up ad's.

Should I continue to use only MSE on the fresh install or is there anything else to add which does not degrade gaming performance and have annoying adverts? I'm careful with that software I put on my gaming rig so I don't feel the need for anything too intrusive to protect me.

Soldato
Installed Norton 2012 on my old mans PC. It is a vast improvement on previous versions. Had to get Norton as he refuses to get anything he has not seen on TV. :D

Stupid thing is, I had to a system restore on it earlier and Norton refused to run afterwards. Went to their forums and Symantec have admitted it does not like a system restore and advise doing a full reinstall. Stupid. :rolleyes:

Associate
I use Microsoft security essentials, free and does a good job :)

Back in the dark days I used norton which was a complete system hog then moved to avg, which went from being great to giving me problems. Then tried avast such I just couldn't get on with, which led me to MSE

Associate
First I tried the latest Nod 5 being a nod lover in the past. This thing is buggy the firewall disconnects my games a lot, also experienced random slowdowns. Very disappointed.

Secondly I tried Kaspersky. This thing really peed me of. First off it crashes chrome and the addons don't work with firefox (I know not problem but if paying for something expect better). Also the firewall I dont trust applications to auto configure my firewall so like to do it manually this when problems started the 9 out 10 times the rules refused to stick for me.

Lastly I have tried Bitdefender this takes up a few more resorces on my pc than other applications I have tried, but main problem I find is its lack of customization. They have made this application dummy proof I like to set in depth rules for every single application including windows systems. Also this really does not like applications that stream.

Currently testing Panda seems ok little slow at scanning and web browsing seems little slower but not encountered any problems yet.

Back
Top Bottom