Hobbies you gave up on

Soldato
violin - not sure that was really a hobby as such as my parents are music teachers and my brother is heading towards it as a career.

I used to have a model railway but took it down years ago as I needed the space and have lived in rented ever since. It's still at my parents in the loft and I might assemble it all again once I've moved to our new house.

Kick boxing - no decent class near me, might change when we move.

PC gaming - still going but not as much time any more

Astronomy - living in a flat has put this on hold but I hope to get going with again when i have a garden :)

Last edited:
Commissario
Magic - I got heavily into magic a few years ago and got quite good. I'd happily practise and practise and practise but the problem was that I had no desire to perform and that's really the point of it. I just stopped doing it and in the end I sold most of the stuff I had.

Competitive shooting - I haven't shot a match for three or four years. I was very good and was invited to shoot for Great Britain in the PPP World Championships 8 or 9 years ago but as it's an amateur sport I really couldn't afford to do it. I stopped as my fitness decreased as the discipline I used to shoot really relied on it.

Ten pin bowling - This was another fitness thing, I badly damaged a knee a few years ago and never got back into the bowling after. I was a club bowler with an average around 170.

Soldato
I actually got half decent on the guitar at one point, my teacher moved to china and I slowly stopped playing, gave my guitars to a now ex's brother. Silly mistake in hindsight.

Actually been thinking about buying another one, maybe I will this week!
I gave both my keyboard and guitar to my little cousins... I wish I hadn't either :o

Associate
I gave both my keyboard and guitar to my little cousins... I wish I hadn't either :o

I played keyboard for my gcse at school but haven't touched one since, 9 years and I've never missed it!

Thing is I have more hobbies now which cost more and take up more time so a guitar might get left in the corner again, worth the risk I think, always liked having one for quiet weekends.

:D

Soldato
Gave up boxing training due to GCSE commitments, hardly ever sparred but went to the local boxing club for around 18 months and got into decent shape.

Was a major fan of Lego, I had a really decent amount of it too. Eventually sold it all off when I grew out of it around 13/14 years of age, don't regret the sale because I made around £300 (when you're that age, £300 is a lottery win!) But I used to get really into it and build massive structures or towns.

Gaming, was really into it. Would play everynight for hours, across many different consoles (including PC and handhelds etc) but over the years it's been a declining hobbie. Not only are new games quite expensive, but for the majority of the game I feel bored or like it's hard work. I work a full time job, I don't need more things in my life to feel like "work". The most recent game I've put a great deal of time into is Skyrim but other than that rare gem I've been hard pushed to get excited about any games. I'm not a fan of FPS's, and my favourite genre is RPG, which hasn't seen a great deal of decent games (IMHO) in the last decade.

Soldato
I gave up boxing after a few years training due to a very bad hand injury. (I shattered 3 knuckles in my right hand, still hurts this day, 7 years after doing it.)

Kayaking, got my level 3 certificate, then moved home and found it extremely difficult to travel to afterwards. :(

Soldato
BMX, Rode for 6 years and just stopped. Then tried to get back into it a couple of years ago, My back didn't agree with that and I had to sell up :(

Climbing similar story but it's not as harsh on my back for the most part. Guess I more just got bored but would like to try and get back into it, My friends just seemed to want to climb the bouldering wall all the time and I liked to go high.

Associate
Muay Thai/Thai Boxing, Gym in general.
Decided to stop just over two years ago due to risk of injury - I was training to do a walk of the Great Wall in June 2010.
Boxing was my main motivation for the gym and I've never returned _ I've also been nursing a torn rotator cuff that hasn't helped.

Wedding looming, 3 stone heavier than 18 months ago, it might be time to rekindle the hobby.

Soldato
Urban exploration, I got a little hurt when I fell through a rotten floor in an old police station/ courthouse. And one of the buildings gave me nightmares.

I still look at other peoples stuff but it's not for me.

Caporegime
8 ball pool played basically all my life since was like 5 or 6 played few tournements but got sick of the silly crowd you have to be in to progress or who controls the next step up to. was superleague county standard and played top names every week but as above just couldnt be doing with the crowd stopped playing.

slowly going off pc gaming :( unoriginal full of cheats in fps bad console ports and people just say some other bs to hide that basically the games are just poor .

Caporegime
Scalextric.

Got well into slot cars at Uni, had loads of plans to build routed tracks and everything, but it just never happened and now I don't have the space :(

PC Gaming too. To much emphases on looking good, not enough games that are actually fun to play. I have no interest in buying a new graphics card every 6 months to play something boring but pretty.

Soldato
bagpipes - hated it, parents forced me to learn.

football - age/location used to play footie every sunday but moved away, too old now...knees knackered

RPG games - still miss it but no groups around and i'm prolly a little old for it now! Thats when we used our imaginations to entertain ourselves ;) used to have lots of the Ad&D manuals (players guide, DM guide etc)

Associate
Used to play Magic: The Gathering for years when you could go to tournaments and it was fun because even the top players used their own decks and variations of the popular decks. Then it all became internet carbon copy decklists.

Loaddsss im very fussy with hobbies

Scouts-Boring as ever.
Karate-Well was fun but too slow paced
Football
Flute/Recorder (I cant remember)-I enjoyed it but again slowly dropped out
Competitive gaming-What the point casual is better
Swimming-Slowly Dropped out
Sports in genenral-Boring!
Hand Drawing-Just wasnt for me prefer computer drawing

Soldato
Downhill Mountain Biking / Freeriding - I used to be into this in a massive way. Had top level kit; Orange 222, Shivers etc, but I had a massive accident, damaged my back and I have never been able to rekindle the love so to speak.

I would say PC gaming / Hardware enthusiam to a degree but interesting areas like Eyefinity (which I now run) are rekindling some of my love there.

Soldato
Magic - I got heavily into magic a few years ago and got quite good. I'd happily practise and practise and practise but the problem was that I had no desire to perform and that's really the point of it. I just stopped doing it and in the end I sold most of the stuff I had.

Competitive shooting - I haven't shot a match for three or four years. I was very good and was invited to shoot for Great Britain in the PPP World Championships 8 or 9 years ago but as it's an amateur sport I really couldn't afford to do it. I stopped as my fitness decreased as the discipline I used to shoot really relied on it.

Ten pin bowling - This was another fitness thing, I badly damaged a knee a few years ago and never got back into the bowling after. I was a club bowler with an average around 170.

Where did you learn all of your tricks ?

Soldato
Pc's in general. Used to build my own rigs but now even my laptop gets very little use apart from streaming to the xbox.
My phone does the bulk of my day to day Internet use

Back
Top Bottom