Internet Dating.....Who Has Done it?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Well I messaged a girl about 4 months ago, quick "I'll message you properly later" reply then nothing for a week. Followed up, got a date and now have had the most amazing girlfriend for over 3 months, holiday planned for Feb and have started thinking about moving in together! Win!

PoF can work :D Very chuffed. Good luck all!

Associate
I've just joined eharmony over the free weekend and ended up extending it :o

Not been bad so far, i've sent 3 messages and 0 replies, but had 7 ladies start talking to me so far, including 1 who stands out from the rest. Not bad for <48 hours of being signed up.

Just quite a few messages with the 1 girl so far, 6 in 2 days. How many messages are normal before you mention meeting up?

Really new to this whole idea, so finding it quite strange TBH.

It does all depend on who you're talking with and how well you hit it off. Had one I was slow playing for weeks (don't know whether I was the back-up plan for her or not) eventually swapped numbers but not done anything with it.

Latest one I swapped numbers with after about 2 days and 10 messages.

Previous one was over the course of a weekend, but she was one of those rare bread that was very open, chatty and irreverent (so great banter) on the Monday morning we simply picked up where we left off and by the end of the week had shared about 300 messages and about 3 hours on the phone (shame she was mental :mad:)

I think the easiest way to tell is when they start opening up to you and spouting rubbish that didn't require a leading question first.

And 7 start initiating conversation :eek: thats some serious man points sir!

Soldato
Well I messaged a girl about 4 months ago, quick "I'll message you properly later" reply then nothing for a week. Followed up, got a date and now have had the most amazing girlfriend for over 3 months, holiday planned for Feb and have started thinking about moving in together! Win!

Good work dude!!! Been with my POF girlfriend for a little over a month now, chatting in total for around 2 months, and we're planning to move to Canada together for a year in 2013! haha. A little soon, but I feel like she's 'the one'!! :D

Soldato
This is a great example of how personality and looks have nothing to do with reality. There could be scenarios where people require a bit of time out.

I hadn't said to him I needed time out but I think the issue was though he said he understood I don't think he did. He called an end to it because he didn't think our personalities matched even though I had explained I wasn't myself properly because of what was happening. He said last week "what's up you don't look happy" its only been a few weeks and the funeral isn't till next week so isn't it obvious that I'm not going to seem happy for a while :confused:

secretspy knows what she wants and it's me... She just doesn't know it yet ;)

Er......ok lol

Soldato

Quite right it can. I met my girlfriend though POF... we are due to get married in 6 months. :D

Soldato
Apez, no matter how good you profile may seem. Unless you are yourself it may take a wee while to attract someone. Then again you might find it could be in the few hours of been logged on.

Try not to ask for advice too much, have your own imagination.

I know, thanks. I've tried to just be myself and be honest in my profile. I mainly just wanted people to check for any 'red flags' that might immediately put lots of girls off. I haven't had a massive success rate with messaging, I find it hard to be 'funny' without coming across as an idiot. Then again, some girls might just not be attracted to me or my personality, and that's fair enough. It's just a matter of time, I think. I've messaged two girls about grabbing a drink sometime, so just waiting to hear back from them :)

Soldato
I asked a girl I really like out for drinks a month or so back and on the day of said date she had been hit in the face by a child at her school, One of the more imaginative put offs!

Fast forward to today and finally have a date and on a plus school has finished now and she hasnt been punched so all good! Going to what I hope is a quietish pub in Guildford for a drink and some food.

Wish me luck as she is stunning and has a personality to boot!

Associate
I asked a girl I really like out for drinks a month or so back and on the day of said date she had been hit in the face by a child at her school, One of the more imaginative put offs!

Fast forward to today and finally have a date and on a plus school has finished now and she hasnt been punched so all good! Going to what I hope is a quietish pub in Guildford for a drink and some food.

Wish me luck as she is stunning and has a personality to boot!

Punched in the face at school?

She isn't still attending playgroup is she? ^^

Hope your date goes well!

Associate
It's nice to see at least some people are having some success :)

I need your opinions guys and girls.

I was getting along nicely with a girl by email and then on the phone. But she was completely put off because I wouldn't add her on facebook. I don't like seeing other peoples before meeting them. If I see a picture of them really drunk doing something stupid it will put me off a little bit. I think it is nice just to get to know them in person.

She wanted to see more pictures of me so I put some more on POF.

I have chatted to girls without a picture had an obscure one sent to me and then just taken a punt and met up with them. Nothing developed further, but I still had a nice time with some people I had things in common with. I am tempted to just say I don't use facebook if I am asked again.

Associate

I was getting along nicely with a girl by email and then on the phone. But she was completely put off because I wouldn't add her on facebook. I don't like seeing other peoples before meeting them. If I see a picture of them really drunk doing something stupid it will put me off a little bit. I think it is nice just to get to know them in person.

I have chatted to girls without a picture had an obscure one sent to me and then just taken a punt and met up with them. Nothing developed further, but I still had a nice time with some people I had things in common with. I am tempted to just say I don't use facebook if I am asked again.

She probably thinks you're married or in a relationship & don't want the other half to see a random added on bookface mate. PoF pics etc are filtered by what you want to reveal, fb isn't. Just add her, you can always delete her later :)

Soldato
She probably thinks you're married or in a relationship & don't want the other half to see a random added on bookface mate. PoF pics etc are filtered by what you want to reveal, fb isn't. Just add her, you can always delete her later :)

Why would you want to add someone that you don't really know on to your Facebook contacts anyway. That sounds a bit stalkerish to me.

People getting offended over not being added puzzles me. Glad I stay away from the evil FB... the amount of arguments and grief I saw it cause over the holiday period is frankly astounding.

Associate

I've dealt with this before, I just say that I will add them to the book of face once I have met them, as otherwise it takes all the mystery away by allowing you to see most of the details of the others social life, and they will probably be able to see quite a lot of information about you, like holidays etc, and it would give you less to talk about once you do meet as you will feel like you know them already.

Soldato
I think some women probably want to see that you are authentic - with friends, pictures, posts etc on Facebook, that's one way of doing it. I've only given out my Facebook to two girls. One of them I have a date with next week (score!) and the other is currently out of the country but we've decided to stay in touch due to similar interests and getting on quite well.

Here's my OKC profile if anyone wants to see it. I've had quite a few people critique it, so it is much better than what I started with. I'm still not 100% keen on the first two paragraphs, but they'll do for now.

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/apearce1

Associate
Yep I can understand all the points you guys make. I see where they are coming from, but it is good to see it isn't just me that doesn't want to add random people.

I find it frustrating I can't just meet girls easily in real life through work or something. So much easier for things to develop over time.

Hah, apeZ I think you need to get some shorter friends. At 5'9" you aren't a shorty, but your buddies make you look like a midget.

Soldato
Hah, apeZ I think you need to get some shorter friends. At 5'9" you aren't a shorty, but your buddies make you look like a midget.

:D

I might delete that picture. I also agree about the 'developing over time' thing, it's much easier to find people with similar interests on here plus there's less of the awkwardness of first contact.

Permabanned
I think some women probably want to see that you are authentic - with friends, pictures, posts etc on Facebook, that's one way of doing it. I've only given out my Facebook to two girls. One of them I have a date with next week (score!) and the other is currently out of the country but we've decided to stay in touch due to similar interests and getting on quite well.

Here's my OKC profile if anyone wants to see it. I've had quite a few people critique it, so it is much better than what I started with. I'm still not 100% keen on the first two paragraphs, but they'll do for now.

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/apearce1

:O wolf man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom