Internet problems/Network switch

Associate
I've been having problems with my internet connection recently (O2 all rounder package, with phone line also provided by O2).

Internet speeds on wireless devices have been awful for a week or so, and today it has been unusable even on a wired networked computer. Quick call to tech services and I have ended up getting much better service with the modem/router plugged into the BT master socket.

Problem is, the master socket it on the other side of the room to all my equipment that I have wired in (PC, TV, Xbox and blu-ray).

Just wondering what my options are, and which is the best way to go. All I can think of is;
1. buy a network switch, run a single cable around the room from modem/router to switch and connect all equipment to switch.
2. run 4 10m cables from the modem around the room and connect to each device.
3. attempt to repair the secondary phone socket.

I'm personally preferring the first option here. but have no idea what to be looking for/buying in terms of network switch. A 5 port switch would surfice, but leaves no room for expansion should I ever need it.
The standard O2 modem/router only had 10/100 data rates and not gigabit, so I guess I would not gain anything by getting a gigabit switch?

Without spending a fortune, can you recommend me a good enough switch please. Is there an argument for getting a larger (say 8 port) gigabit switch now, or just get what is needed for the moment?

Many thanks.

InQ

InQ

Associate
I'd also go for option 1.
Your router should be in the master socket via a filtered face plate (eg ADSLNation face plate filter) to get the best sync/lowest line problems/noise.
You mention an extension, is this wired into the master socket or taken from a plug on the front like a "normal" phone socket?

Network switch wise i think most of the general consumer non-managed switches will do. I personally bought a ZyXEL GS108B 8 port Gigabit Unmanaged Desktop Switch to cover expansion (its metal in construction and well made and was circa £30), all my kit is plugged into it so everything will talk in Gigabit speeds between each other (assuming they have Gigabit ports) particularly as i have a NAS and rip Blurays to it over the Gigabit.

If you are potentially using up all the ports right away then get a bigger one.

Associate
OP
I'd also go for option 1.
Your router should be in the master socket via a filtered face plate (eg ADSLNation face plate filter) to get the best sync/lowest line problems/noise.
You mention an extension, is this wired into the master socket or taken from a plug on the front like a "normal" phone socket?

Network switch wise i think most of the general consumer non-managed switches will do. I personally bought a ZyXEL GS108B 8 port Gigabit Unmanaged Desktop Switch to cover expansion (its metal in construction and well made and was circa £30), all my kit is plugged into it so everything will talk in Gigabit speeds between each other (assuming they have Gigabit ports) particularly as i have a NAS and rip Blurays to it over the Gigabit.

If you are potentially using up all the ports right away then get a bigger one.

Router is now plugged into the master socket. The O2 guy has me taking all the sockets apart to identify which is which! Ended up with the main BT line into the house wires breaking (they were brittle?!) and having to re-wire the socket. Anyway, the secondary point that is fitted seems to be connected to the back of the standard BT faceplate (bottom half that pulls away) with the main BT line being connected to the back of the top half of the socket.

Did a little looking around after I had got off the phone to them and saw these BT NTE faceplate jobbies. Are they like a microfilter, but all built into the faceplate? Worthwhile investment?

Glad you mentioned about the NAS, as I was considering getting one. Thats decided then, need at least an 8 port switch then. Leaving me connection for NAS (when I get that) and 2 spare for any future equipment.

From what you have said, am I correct in understanding;
All the devices plugged into the switch can potentially transfer data at gigabit speeds, as long as they have a gigabit connection?
eg, gigabit LAN on computer and TV. The data transfer between the 2 would be 1000Mbps. If my understanding is correct then I will get the gigabit switch.

Thanks for all your help so far :)

InQ

InQ

Associate
Yes you are correct about the faceplates, they replace the bottom half of the NTE5 and incorporate a filter. This leaves no extensions however long to pick up noise before the filter.

And yes you are correct about the Gigabit switch, devices plugged into the switch would communicate at up to 1000Mbps between each other as long as the device itself was gigabit.
I have a Netgear Readynas Duo plugged into the switch along with an Xbox360, my router, Bluray player and Dune media player (Dune is only 100Mbit). The Dune plays Bluray ISO's (25Gb to 45Gb in size) from the NAS fine.

Back
Top Bottom