Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I'm going to give the "10 @ Kirroughtree" a go this year as well. In a team or 2 or 3 i think as it's the first time doing anything like this. The idea being a warm up for "Relentless 24" in October!!!

Decided I need to give myself a target to aim for so why not give it a go!!

Associate
Have any of you guys ordered from Merlin cycles before?

I ordered and payed for a bike on Tuesday morning (the 3rd) and its still not been shipped out to me yet. I have sent several emails and apparently the bike was ready to be sent on Thursday but wouldn't be sent till Monday. Bit annoyed and couldn't understand that but fair enough. Then today after still not hearing anything i emailed them and they said the bike wont arrive till Thursday? I payed £30 for '48 hour delivery' but it just seems a joke to me.

What you guys think?

Associate
Have any of you guys ordered from Merlin cycles before?

I ordered and payed for a bike on Tuesday morning (the 3rd) and its still not been shipped out to me yet. I have sent several emails and apparently the bike was ready to be sent on Thursday but wouldn't be sent till Monday. Bit annoyed and couldn't understand that but fair enough. Then today after still not hearing anything i emailed them and they said the bike wont arrive till Thursday? I payed £30 for '48 hour delivery' but it just seems a joke to me.

What you guys think?

I believe it says on the postage information to allow for 10-14 days for bike building, also guessing they will have been busy from orders placed over the holidays.

Associate
Ordered some nice super light Hope XC3 wheels today in preparation for the Anthem arriving in March, just got a Giant SLR carbon seatpost and bar to order and thats all im doing to it for this year.

Obligatory pics will follow when wheels arrive...

Soldato
I'm considering going back to a hardtail this year and my thinking behind it is because I don't think anywhere I ride or any trail centre really requires a full suspension all mountain bike, even the Peak District etc. My bike is pretty hefty too. :p

Tempted to try out an On One 456 carbon frame. Made to take up to a 160mm fork. They are £299 at the moment and at that price its practically a throwaway frame if you don't get on with it.

My mate reckons I'm being a **** for thinking about doing it. He could be right...

What say you, OcUK? Am I being a ****. Feel free to lay to the boot in :p

Soldato
Tempted to try out an On One 456 carbon frame. Made to take up to a 160mm fork. They are £299 at the moment and at that price its practically a throwaway frame if you don't get on with it.

Up to you about going from FS to HT but the 456 carbon is a great frame - i'm very "wet behind the ears" in terms of experience when it comes to bikes but had my C456 for about 10 months now and can't fault it. You could build a cracking C456 that will handle pretty much anything.

Soldato
Up to you about going from FS to HT but the 456 carbon is a great frame - i'm very "wet behind the ears" in terms of experience when it comes to bikes but had my C456 for about 10 months now and can't fault it. You could build a cracking C456 that will handle pretty much anything.

I had a feeling you might be the first to reply ;)

Good to hear you're enjoying yours.

Soldato
I'm considering going back to a hardtail this year...(snip)...
What say you, OcUK? Am I being a ****. Feel free to lay to the boot in :p

I think you should go for it. Why not chop and change your gear if you can afford it, the more bikes you try the more you will know what you like.

You've already pointed out one reason for changing, the only others I could think of are; do you often go on trips where you are riding for several days? If this was the case then after a couple of days on a HT you may wish you were riding a full sus. Do you have any joint problems? I often see people saying things like "too old for a HT now, recommend me a full sus!".

If you build up a 456 with some nice parts it means you can use the parts again to build up another FS if you're not into it :)

If I only had to have one bike then it'd be a full sus, but that's only because I like to bomb through rough stuff with minimal brain input. If I was more into XC and trail riding then a hardtail would be fine. I'd get something trendier like a Ragley though :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I think you should go for it. Why not chop and change your gear if you can afford it, the more bikes you try the more you will know what you like.

You've already pointed out one reason for changing, the only others I could think of are; do you often go on trips where you are riding for several days? If this was the case then after a couple of days on a HT you may wish you were riding a full sus. Do you have any joint problems? I often see people saying things like "too old for a HT now, recommend me a full sus!".

If you build up a 456 with some nice parts it means you can use the parts again to build up another FS if you're not into it :)

If I only had to have one bike then it'd be a full sus, but that's only because I like to bomb through rough stuff with minimal brain input. If I was more into XC and trail riding then a hardtail would be fine. I'd get something trendier like a Ragley though :D

I had a hardtail before an enjoyed rding it. I went to full suspension only because I though it would make riding smoother and more comfortable, which it does but at a penalty of weight and harder climbing. But having said that, most decents are out of saddle so your legs soak up a lot of the bumps anyway.

A slight concern is that I have a permanent back injury (prolapsed discs) which cycling doesn't really affect other than a bit of back ache on a long ride, but then I get back ache from walking a long way, infact since I took up cycling it has helped the problem as my back muscles are stronger. No joint problems so to speak.

I've never been away riding for more than a day at a time but I may do this year at some point.

Right now it seems there are equally as many reasons why I should and shouldn't do it. Still undecided, but i'll look into other hardtail frames, I certainly don't want to spend a lot.

Soldato
Torch [P4];20878181 said:
I've got the am490 rims and they've stood up to some punishment, wish I'd gone for the switch hubs tho.

I've just got the black black combo but I'd go red rim black hub :D

Ive got the DH rims and Switch hubs, they are running like a dream, not had to re-tension the spokes in 7 months and the bearings are still smooth and no play, id say go for it, the rims are made by Alexrims so a decent enough brand in that aspect, as for the Switch hubs not sure what factory they come from but are decent enough :)

Well after thinking about it for ages, I went for some, they seem no heavier than what I have, so happy enough there, but they might have to go back :(.

Just wondering what sort of condition your ones were in when they came, or even what's acceptable for a hand built wheel?

I've read you normally get the odd mark on them where they are put together, but one of the wheels has multiple scuff marks on both sides of the rim in different places, as if something abrasive has rubbed up and down on them and the other wheel has 3 or 4 chips in the anodizing so the metal shows through and a tear in the sticker.

Which seems a bit excessive to me :(, but if all of them are likely to be like it, then not sure if it's worth the effort of exchanging them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom