Netflix is now in the UK

Caporegime
Just a quick question for you guys, if NetFlix did have a decent library, (say every studio) could you see yourselves ever buying DVD discs again?

Cheers

(Asking not just out of curiousity - I work for a DVD distributor, so services like this will no doubt have a big affect on business!)

Whilst metered internet exists, they won't succeed.

Associate
There's now an easy way to access the US content on Netflix. It was always possible to access it before but you had to sign up with a valid US address and credit card and then use a VPN.

However now it is open in the UK, simply sign up with your UK address and credit card. Then use a service called unblock-us. You change the DNS settings on your computer or console to make Netflix think you are in the US.

Unblock-us have a free 1 week trial, I'm using it now and have access to the US Netflix library on my PS3. There is a lot more content, and more recent movies. For example the recent movies 'Senna', 'Limitless' and 'True Grit' are on the US version. You can switch back to the UK Netflix by changing your DNS settings back to what they previously were.

Soldato
Just signed up but my Xbox seems to not want to play in HD, I'm on a 30Mb cable line - any suggestions?

EDIT - Even ethernet straight from the router rather than Wifi doesn't resolve it..

Last edited:
Soldato
Just a quick question for you guys, if NetFlix did have a decent library, (say every studio) could you see yourselves ever buying DVD discs again?

Cheers

(Asking not just out of curiousity - I work for a DVD distributor, so services like this will no doubt have a big affect on business!)

Yes, actually I don't even use Netflix to watch movies. I have their BD disc service and watch the movie on BD for the better quality. I do appreicate I am a minority as in fussy when it comes to AV though.

I also want to mention that you can also configure Windows Media Center to run the Netflix App. Much better than doing it via their webpage.

Soldato

Cheers

I've been using LoveFilm for about three years now.

Personally I only tend to buy BluRays now, and then when I do they are only films I know are worth owning. For everything else, I know that I can just rent it whenever I want from LoveFilm.

I'd say my buying habits with films have changed quite significantly. Back when DVDs had jumped to the forefront in the early 2000s, I'd quite often buy something I'd never seen while in the Supermarket. Or when in the likes of HMV they had deals like 3 films for £20.

The problem is you end up with loads of films you won't watch again, or didn't really like. With a rental service, I no longer need to worry about that.

I'm sure I'm not the only person whose habits have changed, which is also reflected in how the high-street retailers are starting to struggle.

Soldato
The content their offering is a bit of a joke. Theres no way I would pay a monthly fee for that poor crop.

Also what the heck are The Secrets of Nimh and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang doing in the Sci-Fi section?!

Man of Honour
I also want to mention that you can also configure Windows Media Center to run the Netflix App. Much better than doing it via their webpage.

Damn I was all set to ask you how you managed this then noticed you're in the States! Netflix doesn't seem to be on the UK WMC yet :/

Associate
Much prefer this to the LoveFilm streaming service. I've tried it on my PS3, 360, and Apple TV 2. All three interfaces are well designed and offer the same level of quality from what I can tell.

Pretty happy with it. I might be imagining it but I swear content is actually still being added too. Planet Terror has appeared for me and I swear it wasn't there 3 hours ago.

Associate
Hi,

I tried the Netflix trial last night on my Wii as I was interested to see if it would be good enough to replace my lovefilm subscription as they are getting more unreliable with sending out discs. If it wasnt for the fact that the selection of film is pretty poor at the moment I think the option to stream using the Wii would be enough to jump across. Hopefully this will push Lovefilm to get a Wii channel up and running now. :)

Associate

Not at the moment since there a big difference in picture quality between streaming and BlueRay. If there wasn't then almost certainly. The idea of have any film I can watch instantly is very appealing.

Soldato
But love film sucks. Bergius is a lit better. Not great, but a lot better.
Thought it would be more. I chanced the American subscription last month. So will be getting the free trial. Not sure how much I'll use it with current selection though.

Bergius.

Sounds like a fruit to me. :p

Associate
Just tried netflix via unblock to US version, works on boxee and appletv2, totally superb, I dropped sky last month, and for £5.99 + $5.99 basically less than £10 I can get all US netflix, they have most if not all the UK stuff anyway.
This is great stuff.

Caporegime
Just tried netflix via unblock to US version, works on boxee and appletv2, totally superb, I dropped sky last month, and for £5.99 + $5.99 basically less than £10 I can get all US netflix, they have most if not all the UK stuff anyway.
This is great stuff.

How long will that trick work though?

Soldato
Wouldn't count on it forever though.

A US colleague of mine who came over phoned them to see if her US Netflix account could be used over here and was told it wasn't allowed. Since you are essentially doing something you aren't supposed to, they may eventually get wind of people doing it. They might then make UK accounts tied to the UK.

Associate
Wouldn't count on it forever though.

A US colleague of mine who came over phoned them to see if her US Netflix account could be used over here and was told it wasn't allowed. Since you are essentially doing something you aren't supposed to, they may eventually get wind of people doing it. They might then make UK accounts tied to the UK.

There is no advantage to them doing that though as all that would happen is they'd probably lose subs over it. I imagine the loophole will continue unless some of the film and TV companies that have content on Netflix pressurise them to tighten their region control.

Back
Top Bottom