SGSII or hold out for SGSIII

Associate
.... Help!

In the market for a new phone (looking to go SIM free). Very Very tempted by the SGSII but with the SGSIII around the corner (possibly!) what am I too do!!

The head is saying sit and wait for Samsung's SGSIII but the heart is saying press BUY now!:confused:

Not really heard much about the SGSIII specs either.?:confused:

Rob

Soldato
From what I've read on here, the SG3 will be announced sometime next month by Samsung. I'd imagine that it would be released a few months after its announcement.

I think you should wait. At the very least, I reckon the price of the SG2 will go down when the SG3 is announced.

Man of Honour
The S3 won't be out until May at the earliest really.

If you're desperate to get a new phone now, get a Galaxy Nexus or (if expandable storage/camera is an issue) the Galaxy S II.

Soldato
You have 4 months waiting to do then!

Get the Galaxy S II and be blown away, you can already flash unofficial ICS ROMS which are usable daily. Personally, I have been using ICS for almost a week and I've had zero force closes.

The biggest difference over the S II will no doubt be the screen, the phone itself is stupidly fast already. So if you're wanting a HD screen, I would wait the few months until the S III.

Soldato
The SGS3 shouldn't see any delays, the technology is kicking around already. I'd say a March/April release at the latest, unless they start chasing headlines again (we could even see two flagships from Samsung this year)

Probable specs:

720p sAMOLED HD (Same as GN, plus version for later flagship)
1.6GHz 32nm Exynos 4212 (possibly the 4412 quad core version)
16MP camera (announced with Exynos 4212 and already seen in the HTC Titan 2)

I'd wait as sim free prices are crappy atm. If you can't, see if you can pick up a cheap SGS2 on ebay/cex etc.

Associate
Gone for the Nexus today, £36 Month £100 upfront and 12 month contract also £50 cash back via quidco so total cost for years contract £482.

300 min 3000 text 500mb, think it will be suiteable for me.

Basicaly im getting the above useage for free as the mobile is roughly £480 - £500

I would have loved to wait and see what the SGS3 has to offer or possibly wait and then get one but i've been without a decent mobile for 2 months now and i can't wait another 4 months + wait and see.

Question being what mobile do you have at the moment ?
If its decent then just hold onto it for now and see what the SGS3 offers.

Man of Honour
just ring up ur current provider and get them to match the deal simples but gettin the SGll when the lll comes out would be genius tbh

It isn't 'simples', most providers don't match some of the really good deals on the internet. Only retentions may match it, but not always.

Associate
Great deals can be had! Rung up O2 today, told them I would like my PAC as I want to buy a Galaxy Nexus with T mobile as they offer better deals. They asked me what sort of tariff I was looking for to see what they could do. In the end I paid £30 one off fee and £21.50 a month for 24 months, with 200mins, unlimited texts, and 500mb data with unlimited usage of BT openzone and the cloud. Chuffed! :D

Soldato
The SGS3 shouldn't see any delays, the technology is kicking around already. I'd say a March/April release at the latest, unless they start chasing headlines again (we could even see two flagships from Samsung this year)

If it was going to be released then we would have to shift all the stock the networks have left for a big loss :(

Soldato
SGS2. Handsets going off the selling list is a lot more complicated than it looks (stock is already brought in huge numbers but we need some for replacements, some for business deals over x months beyond consumer, when should we EOL it for a replacement to switch range, is the demand still high enough to buy more stock, blah blah etc etc...) but in general no network kills a superstar and the SGS2 is propping the non-iOS charts in a big way currently. Hell, Samsung at this stage would be pretty mad to kill it off considering their sales still.

It's just good business sometimes to ride the wave and wait a bit longer so you can do a shock-and-awe release instead of a small evolution. One could say the small incremental 4S release for example, was good but not great (although obviously there is more to iOS releases and their handsets). If I were samsung I'd look to ride this out a bit longer.

Back
Top Bottom