Help with multi router/bridge wireless

Associate
I need some networking help if possible anyone.

I have a Netgear DG834GT running the GTTeam V1.03.22 - DGTeam Rev. 1018 firmware which gives me WDS (Wireless distribution system) options.

I also have a Thompson ST585 V6 wireless router from my ISP.

I want to connect my LED TV to my network via a wired connection as the wireless dongle is a) expensive b) buggy.

So, how would be the best way of doing this?

I want my setup to look like this;

BT Line > Wireless Gateway > Wireless&Wired Router/Repeater/Bridge > My Devices.

As I understand it WDS mode can only use WEP encyription - which I'm not a fan of but surely having MAC filtering on and not broadcasting SSID will make it secure enough?

Or does anyone have some better ideas than what I am trying to do? If I need more hardware I will buy it - but what should I get to do the job?

I've never tried setting a WDS network up, I presume the Subnet mask needs to be the same across the two routers? WDS needs to be enabled on both routers? SSID's need to be the same on both routers? Enter the MAC's for both routers into each others filtering?

Can I use NAT with WDS?

Anything else I need to try before I get going?

Caporegime
If you're only using one of the routers to give the TV a connection to the wireless network, one of them should be configurable as a wireless client - meaning you don't need to use WDS at all.

MAC filtering and not broadcasting your SSID are both pointless "security" features; at best they'll stop a laptop automatically connecting to your network (it wouldn't with WEP anyway). Anyone who takes the effort to break your WEP key can get past those with no trouble and they cause you extra hassle.

Caporegime
Not off the top of my head...I've never used GTTeam and it's been years since I looked at a 585v6. You've probably got a better chance of the DG834GT doing it at all though.
You're looking for some sort of "wireless client/client bridge" option.

Associate
Have you considered ditching wireless and use powerline instead? If you home has reasonable mains wiring it could be the most reliable (and secure) connection option other than running a CAT 5/6 cable that is.

I'm a great believer in simple is best, particularly when months down the line something goes belly up and you can't quite remember how it all works or is configured.

Back
Top Bottom