Any ex vegetarians about ?

Associate
My friend Sam had to start eating meat again because her body wasn't getting what it needed from a vegetarian diet. She now feels much better after years of feeling ill and fatigued.

Vegetarianism isn't for everybody... but good effort for trying anyway. I have no problem eating meat so I’m not going to try otherwise.

Caporegime
I was vegetarian (no eggs included) for over 20 years and decided to go back to eating meat (still dont eat red meat) nearly 2 years ago. I was vegetarian because my parents went fully religious so never really did it on moral/ethics ground. It wasnt a massive deal, though I suggest you take it quite slowly as no doubt your digestion will have to get used to your new diet and please dont waste the decision by eating poor takeaway rubbish...

I only decided to start eating meat (its still a small part of my diet - might have it once a week - still dont eat it at home though) because it just seemed to be easier to get cleaner food (cleaner in the nutritional sense) and felt it would probably help as part of more balanced, healthier diet (vegetarianism is good for that, but I found it quite restrictive when it comes to choice, especially abroad, US especially - its quite easy to get into a rut too).

The weird thing is that I could quite easily go back if I choose to, I have no real attachment for eating meat, I just dont want the restrictions on trying new things though. Health wise I dont actually think Ive improved or suffered, just nice not to be an awkward guest or to have a poor choice from a restaurant menu...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
Associate
OP
... The weird thing is that I could quite easily go back if I choose to, I have no real attachment for eating meat, I just dont want the restrictions on trying new things though....

Exactly. I don't feel like I would be going back on anything other than a choice, and if this doesn't work out - I'll have no issues not eating meat again.

Associate
You likely shouldn't jump straight back into red meat, I'd recommend a skinless grilled chicken breast with seasoning to suit and mashed or new potatoes with sugar snap or garden peas.

Delicious, nutritious and very easy to digest for an ex veggy.

Caporegime
You likely shouldn't jump straight back into red meat, I'd recommend a skinless grilled chicken breast with seasoning to suit and mashed or new potatoes with sugar snap or garden peas.

Tend to agree

Associate
OP

Small lamb chops. Already bought. Never been a big chicken fan anyway. I'm not going to go mad. ;)

Associate
Eating, and meat in particular, is one of the things I enjoy most in life. If it has an effect on my health 30 years down the line, so be it. :)

Associate
I've been veggie for about 14 years, and my diet is terrible beyond belief as I don't really like veg. In a way I envy you, but I know I'd regret it eventually and I wouldn't want the guilt if I had another bad period. I hope it goes ok, some good advice above, and enjoy :)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Absolutely nothing wrong with a vegetarian diet as long as you do it right. Which a lot of people don't. I think this is where a lot of myths about a veggie diet being bad for you stem from.

O/P, if you're going to eat meat again I have a request: do your animals some justice and eat the whole thing. There is a lot more to an animal than a chicken breast or a steak and it makes me sick when 'meat eaters' refuse to eat anything other than that and won't eat anything off the bone.

Edit: veggie gf here, but I wouldn't push her to stop being a veggie.

Back
Top Bottom