M4 SSD 5200 hour timebomb

Soldato
Can anyone explain what AHCI mode is, and why people use IDE to update? Completely clueless as I'm setting mine up in the next few days. Do I need it on a USB to update the FW, and can I do this before W7 install? Thanks. :)

AHCI is a newer way of accessing hard drives which gives higher performance, the reason some people are switching to IDE to flash their drive is because the older firmware flasher didn't support AHCI mode, the new one does and there is no issue updating in AHCI mode.

You can update off a USB drive or off a CD/DVD there's no difference, just not everyone has an optical drive these days.

Associate
Think I read someone with a similar problem on the Crucial forums got it to work by disabling any third party storage controllers on the board whilst running the update.

That sort of helped, i went in to disable the marvell storage controller and saw that had an option for AHCI and IDE, Switched that to IDE and it worked :)

Soldato
AHCI is a newer way of accessing hard drives which gives higher performance, the reason some people are switching to IDE to flash their drive is because the older firmware flasher didn't support AHCI mode, the new one does and there is no issue updating in AHCI mode.

You can update off a USB drive or off a CD/DVD there's no difference, just not everyone has an optical drive these days.

I did mine in IDE mode,was set as RAID before since using M4 64GB as SSD cache drive on my Z68 board, anyway no issues updating firmware via IDE,as you can see typing this post on same PC :).

Yes I set my PC back to RAID after ;).

Permabanned
Flashed mine a moment ago in AHCI mode...no issues except monitor didn't switch on for the windows reboot...but was fine on the second....probably just a glitch.

Back
Top Bottom