DELETED_5350

Associate
I've got Vodaphone sure signal at home and when it works it is great. Unfortunately it keeps going off and the only way to restore it is to turn the box off and on again. You have to connect it to your broadband as well of course.

My Dad has the Orange wifi version, can't remember it's name, but that works really well and it's not tied to your own home, it works on any wifi you can connect to.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
I don't think there are general signal boosters, more things that plug into a router or the like as in vodafone's rather good suresignal?

Has a few issues with the BT Homehub, but once you eventually get it working it's a great bit of kit.

Soldato
I've got Vodaphone sure signal at home and when it works it is great. Unfortunately it keeps going off and the only way to restore it is to turn the box off and on again. You have to connect it to your broadband as well of course.

My Dad has the Orange wifi version, can't remember it's name, but that works really well and it's not tied to your own home, it works on any wifi you can connect to.

I've had SureSignal for two years now.
I can honestly count on one hand the number of times it has been "down" or the box has required a reboot.

Don't know if different areas have different levels of reliability - however as it's over broadband I wouldn't have thought so.
It really is one of the ost reliable pieces of kit in our house.

Associate
can you use orange / vodafone cross network or is the device tied to its supplier ?

are there any aftermarket ones which are universal and can be used with wi-fi rather than connect to my modem via a cable ?

Soldato
I've heard that its now possible to get plug in signal boosters that you just plug into the mains and can do wonders for the immediate area?

Anyone heard of this and are they worth it?

That just plug into the mains? Whilst I suppose it's possible due to the device having a bigger antenna, I would suggest that having a device (yes you can buy them.. look up GSM Repeater, or 3G Repeater) that uses an external directional antenna, then booster, and then and internal antenna to transmit the signal would be better.

However, unless it's something like the vodaphone "Sure" thingymabob (Which just uses the internet), then you are likely to be running illegally. Phone carriers don't take to kindly to transmitting on their frequencies I imagine.

Soldato
I'll try and answer all questions and clear it up.

Suresignal is a picocell - a small radio mast, you connect to the internet and power. Range ~20M tops.
Orange UMA/UniquePhone/SignalBoost is UMA - a system of routing GSM calls via the internet. Range equal to 802.11b/g/n

The difference is the picocell acts like a mobile mast, connects to the internet, broadcasts a standard mobile network signal (but with a restricted access list) whereas UMA is basically the phone connecting to Orange via 802.11x wifi and thus the internet and having calls routed over that.

Therefore UMA requires the handset to "understand" UMA and how it works but any phone can connect to a SureSignal - the phone doesn't even know it's not a standard network mast.

UMA is handset and network dependent - Orange is basically the only network that does anything with UMA currently and the handsets Orange stocks reflect this a lot of the time. While any UMA handset can technically link up to any network which supports UMA, in the majority of this forums home territory you will only see this at Orange but it is controlled via handset config files.

SureSignal is network dependent for a very good reason - it contains a cryptic code function to tell the network it is a genuine Voda SureSignal instead of a fake one because if it was a fake one it could listen in on all your calls :( It is not handset dependent though as explained above.

If you have low voda signal and are on £35+ "apparently" you can just ask for one and you'll get it, lower than that you pay a fee (£25/£50, this is sold at a loss obviously but you'll receive and make more calls so a net win for the network)

GSM repeaters are another thing all together but it's pretty obvious what they are (and good ones cost 4/5 figures so I doubt this is a home thing).

Last edited:
Soldato
Look on deal extreme for GSM repeaters (+ and external directional antenna, and an omni directional internal antenna). Likely illegal to use however. They can be setup very cheaply (under £100 all in).

* I take absolutely no responsibility for you breaking the law! *

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom